Geoff Schwartz?

Geoff Schwartz, OG, Detroit Lions was cut today. He was great for us a couple of years and plus Mitchell Schwartz is his brother. Ehringer has been alright but, Schwarrtz seems like a PERFECT fit. He knows the offense and his brother is here. 

Does anyone know why Detroit cut him?

If we got him, our Schwartz would definitely be bigger than theirs. Reports say he's healthy. He just got into a numbers game and the Lions went with youth... Maybe we can sign him for a reasonable price if he wants to come play with his brother?

Detroit Lions start first wave of cuts, release Geoff Schwartz

Dave Birkett, Detroit Free Press

The Detroit Lions started their first wave of roster cuts today by releasing the top offensive lineman they signed this spring, guard Geoff Schwartz.

Schwartz did not play in Saturday's exhibition loss to the Baltimore Ravens, even though he was healthy. The veteran simply was caught in a numbers game with the Lions.

Larry Warford and Laken Tomlinson are expected to start at guard this year, the team drafted backup Joe Dahl and two other linemen in April, and on Sunday, the Lions traded extra receiver Jeremy Kerley to the San Francisco 49ers for guard Brandon Thomas.

Typically, teams keep nine linemen on their 53-man rosters, with two interior backups and two backups who can play tackle.

Dahl and center Graham Glasgow, a third-round pick out of Michigan are expected to be the Lions' top interior backups this year, though Dahl's ability to play tackle could allow the Lions to keep Thomas on their 53-man roster.

The Lions entered today with 89 players on their roster and have until 4 p.m. Tuesday to get down to 75. Wide receiver Corey Fuller will begin the year on thereserve physically unable to perform list, and linebacker Jon Bostic is expected to go on injured reserve Tuesday.

Schwartz started 11 games for the New York Giants last year before finishing the season on injured reserve with a broken leg. He also had stints as a starter with the Kansas City Chiefs and Carolina Panthers.

As much as I'd like to see him back, I don't think its the best move for the team.  This would stunt the growth of our guards and I'm really curious to see what we have and how much is really needed with out Tackes and Center secure.

I also view CB and OLB as larger priorities, and if we got Schwartz, there's virtually no way we have the money to take care of our other needs without moving some money around...

Archived