Justin Houston to miss at least first six weeks of season

The Chiefs will officially begin the season without Justin Houston.

On Tuesday, trainer Rick Burkholder said Houston, who is rehabbing an injured anterior cruciate ligament, will open the season on the physically-unable-to-perform list.

“He’s right around the six-month mark, and so he needs a little bit more time, and so this all part of the planned process,” Burkholder said.

Because Houston is on the physically-unable-to-perform list, he would not be eligible to play for the first six weeks of the season. Burkholder said Houston is scheduled to be examined by orthopedic surgeon James Andrews during the Chiefs’ bye week.

“We’ll reassess the situation then,” Burkholder said.

It remains unclear when Houston, whose ACL was repaired in February because it was not functioning properly, will be able to play again. He did rehab outside for the first time on Monday, however.

Houston isn’t the only linebacker with an injury situation. Burkholder said Josh Mauga, the expected starter at inside linebacker next to Derrick Johnson, is expected to miss the entire season with a labral tear in his hip. He will have surgery Sept. 8.

“That will put him down for the year because it’s a long rehab process,” Burkholder said.

Mauga, who suffered the injury early in training camp, has been replaced in the starting lineup by second-year pro Justin March, who is backed up by fellow second-year pro Ramik Wilson.

Burkholder said the Chiefs also waive-injured fullback Trey Millard, who tore the ACL in his left knee against the Los Angeles Rams on Aug. 20. Burkholder said Millard had the injury repaired by Andrews on Monday and has started the rehab process. He is expected to return to the Chiefs once he clears waivers and to continue his rehab.

The moves, combined with the recent releases of receiver Mitch Mathews and offensive lineman Garrick Mayweather, helped the Chiefs get down to 76 men before the 75-man cutdown deadline, which was 3 p.m. Tuesday. The Chiefs also announced they have received a roster exemption for Eric Berry, so they didn’t need to make additional moves to comply with the cutdown rules.

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said Berry’s roster exemption expires on Saturday, however, which means the Chiefs will still need to clear 23 more roster spots to get down to 53 men by 3 p.m. Saturday.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article98832467.html#storylink=cpy

I hope he comes back this season but I have my doubts. Even if he does come back do you think he'll have an impact this season? I just don't see it. 

yeah, even when he comes back it will take time to get back up to full speed...guess he would be closer to 100% by the time the playoffs roll around

The Chiefs totally screwed this whole thing up. He should have been put on IR after the Buffalo game and had the surgery then.

can't go back in time, and i do believe that the thought was that it was only a strain and rest would help the recovery

process. they wanted to avoid the knife

The Chiefs totally screwed this whole thing up. He should have been put on IR after the Buffalo game and had the surgery then.

Yes.  Its easy to say that in retrospect, but it wasn't the Chiefs who missed the small tear. He was scoped and nothing was seen the first time.  No need to find a scapegoat.

I think he will miss the entire season, and we should not count on him at all.  Even if he plays, he won't be up to speed. If he makes the last few games, great.

My biggest fear would be Houston coming back a little early and doing more damage.  He probably didn't do himself nor the Chiefs any favors by trying to play in the NE playoff game.  If he does come back later this season, I'd assume he would be near full speed since he's already working out is some manner.

I really thought this could be THE year.  But, I think this defense is going to be subpar.  Pass rush and Secondary are looking very suspect.  The offense will have to carry this team to the big dance.  I don't see it.

Can never get the right balance.  <_<

I think Justin will be back once his required PUP time is over. I'd be willing to bet, that everyone wants him to be totally 100% when he returns. I wouldn't be surprised to see him worked into the lineup around game 8 or 9, hopefully starting by game 10.

I just hope we're still in the playoff race by game 10,,,,,

I really thought this could be THE year. But, I think this defense is going to be subpar. Pass rush and Secondary are looking very suspect. The offense will have to carry this team to the big dance. I don't see it.

Can never get the right balance. <_<

If we do end up winning it despite decreased dominance of the defense, people still say it was the defense that won it. You know how we know? When we won 11 in a row people still said it was the running game even though Charles went down. But do we care? If we win, that's all that is important.

I'm just ticked off that the best defensive player on the team is out for the first quarter and two more games of the season and they are at the mercy of the Dee Fords and Frank Zombos of the world to generate an OLB pass rush. The season felt lost when I saw that news.

I really thought this could be THE year.  But, I think this defense is going to be subpar.  Pass rush and Secondary are looking very suspect.  The offense will have to carry this team to the big dance.  I don't see it.

Can never get the right balance.  <_<

Pity-pot.  Whine and cheese party.  Just enjoy the games and the victories.  Its a business for them and entertainment for us.  Lighten up, Francis.

We have a solid offense now. Multiple threats at the TE position and a much more involved Chris Conley.

Check Houston's instagram account, his third latest post. April 6th, months ago, he was stomping around 6 weeks after surgery. I'm sure he is in for a speedy recovery so I'm not worried after seeing that post

I really thought this could be THE year.  But, I think this defense is going to be subpar.  Pass rush and Secondary are looking very suspect.

I fail to see how the Secondary is looking subpar.  Through three preseason games we are holding offenses to an average of 164 passing yards per game and a majority of those yards were obtained in mop up time in the 4th quarter and a hail mary.  Not to mention our starting All-Pro safety hasn't stepped onto the field yet and Gaines(who i project is the starting corner) has had extremely limited time and shut things down when he was in.  3 of our 4 secondary positions are lock down, and the safety depth is deep.  People don't see Peters/S. Smith htis year and seem to make assumptions that the secondary is gonna suck when there has been ABSOLUTELY no evidence supporting that...

Would i like to see an upgrade at CB2?  Sure, but if the safeties and Peters are locking down 3 WRs/TEs, i'm not worried about the matchup that our CB is gonna get with the 4th reciever.  Not to mention all the nickle packages and Berry's zone ability.  

I think we are better than anyone else in the division.  That gets you to the playoffs.  In past years and decades we should have learned that dominant defense does not stop dominant offense in the playoffs.  We now have a team capable of winning playoff games, and that can get you to a SuperBowl. Its like the Royals of 2014.  The Chiefs have a chance to be the equivalent of the Royals of 2015.  That took some luck, but it always does for any team.  The loss of the starting QB will put it out of reach for any team. That could happen to Alex or it could happen to any team at any time.

I think we are better than anyone else in the division.  That gets you to the playoffs.  In past years and decades we should have learned that dominant defense does not stop dominant offense in the playoffs.  We now have a team capable of winning playoff games, and that can get you to a SuperBowl. Its like the Royals of 2014.  The Chiefs have a chance to be the equivalent of the Royals of 2015.  That took some luck, but it always does for any team.  The loss of the starting QB will put it out of reach for any team. That could happen to Alex or it could happen to any team at any time.

so you dont subscribe to the  old standard rule of football of the Offense may win you games but DEFENSE wins you championships?

They didn't screw anything up.  You can't quickly diagnose a non-responsive ACL.

I don't think people realize that this was a somewhat uncommon injury, and world famous Dr. James Andrews was making the calls.

Whiffing hard, here.

He'll be back this year.

They didn't screw anything up.  You can't quickly diagnose a non-responsive ACL.

I don't think people realize that this was a somewhat uncommon injury, and world famous Dr. James Andrews was making the calls.

Whiffing hard, here.

He'll be back this year.

You are right about that first part. I certainly hope so on the second part. I think you will be right there too.

The Chiefs could benefit from having a fresh Houston down the end run of the season. They just need to play well without him for the first half.

Archived