make a prediction? 2016 W-L

I'm one to be pretty well set on my prediction after the 3rd game. I'm leaning toward 11-5 with these cast of characters.

.the return of Charles with West & Ware. I think our TE's are strong.. our O-line average, our WR's solid. I have confidence at the QB position.

Defensively I think  they will struggle in the first few games but figure it out which brings me to my Disclaimer. I have a flex game that will make this go 10-6 and that's the Texans. Osweiller might be decent enough to beat a pedestrian Defense yet to find it's way.

I'm not sold on our Defense. With out Houston . Our DB's certainly not as strong as last year. DJ might be the Diamond in this Goat's Ass. They'll be tough just not tough enough when the time is needed.I'm not sure that it can hold teams under 14 points

Wilkies and I are usually  a boring prediction .. 10-6 or 8-8

But Mark it down .. Chiefs  11-5 and win the division on a tie breaker

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Denver is still very good. Their defense can dominate. The Chiefs may have a better OL, if Ehinger can hold up, and there are no major injuries. Fulton, and Reid can spot the starters, but other than that, there isn't anyone else. Morse has to keep from getting injured. He, and LDT had concussions last year. Fisher needs to stay healthy, and continue to improve as he did last season.

Denver has a quarterback issue, or do they? It is less clear cut to me. They still have some very good receivers. Alex Smith seems to be ready to break out. I thought the same last season, and he was better. Smith passed his previous best for throwing yards, but still it was shy of 3500 yards for the season. Kansas City ranked 30th in passing yardage. Maclin, and Kelce accounted for 56% of those yards receiving yards. Clearly, it is not all on Alex, but he must find ways to sling the ball down the field. KC was 27th in the league for touch down passes. If the Chiefs are to beat Denver for the AFC W title, they are going to have to score. They won a lot of close games last year. You cannot count on those close games the Chiefs won to continue falling to the Chiefs in 2016.

The Chiefs played too many close games last season. This year, they may end up without the services of Justin Houston, if not for the entire season, at least for a majority of those games. Tamba Hali looks old. Dee Ford is a fraud. The Chiefs may have to score more points to keep up to last year's standard. For this reason, I feel the Chiefs will fall back to 10 wins and 6 losses.

KC 10 - 6

DEN 10-6

OAK 9 - 7

SD   7- 9

If KC can stay healthy, and Houston returns in good shape, they may play in the AFC championship game.

Obviously, the Chiefs lack a thumper at ILB, and a pass rushing OLB (perhaps 2). Conley seems to be on the verge of breaking out. Chris Jones is the real deal.

I originally guessed 12-4 and, although I have tempered those expectations a bit, I'm going to stick with it. If this team can't win at least 11 games, then they won't win more than 8 in my opinion. They have some tough outs on the road, so they need to win some games there. 

Defensively, I am legitimately concerned about the Chiefs' ability to rush the passer without Justin Houston. I think Chris Jones helps to bring some spot pressure from the interior. I'm not confident in Dee Ford to be consistent against good teams. Hali will have to remain healthy. I think, if March starts at ILB, the Chiefs get better in coverage there. That might help take some pressure off from some underneath routes because the safeties might be a little busier this year covering for the lack of experience at #2 and #3 CB. I haven't seen a guy really step up in either of those roles yet. I'm hopeful Gaines gets back up to speed and that the new Acker kid helps, because the young guys don't appear ready. 

Offensively, I think this team will be better than it has been in a while. My opinion is that this receiving corps will be the best it has been in quite some time. Conley looks ready to contribute more heavily this season. I think the #2 and #3 TE's are going to be active giving varied looks. I think the Chiefs keep Streater and he looks to have that ability to stretch the field yet. I'm kind of excited to see this offense open up a bit more, and I think they will need to. I still have some worries about the O-line with LDT and, especially, Ehinger, but I think they'll be better than they've been. Schwartz is a monumental upgrade at RT.

Denver will still be a strong defensive team that will be able to run the football. Oakland will be better defensively and won't be an easy out anymore. Good thing for KC against Oakland is that they get them after a bye week on the road and on Thursday Night Football in December in KC. San Diego doesn't look strong, but they have receivers and a QB, so that's something you can't ignore. I'm uncertain about this team's weaknesses. Week one is going to speak volumes about this football team. 

8-8

Last year was the year and the window is closing. DJ and Hali will show their age this year. Charles won't be much of a factor. I don't believe the offense can carry us. We still aren't built to come back. We also have a lot of guys who will start week one who haven't played in the preseason. I think we'll start 1-3. Maybe we'll get a wild card? 

We averaged 25.3 points per game, but of course, much of that was due to short fields or pick or fumble-6's (42 points in the season, 4 pick 6's and 2 fumble 6's, 2.625). If we can expect the offense to score the same as last year, but without the short fields, that improvement will help and just hope that a portion of that 42 points is made by the declining defense. I do believe the offense will improve.

Archived