Bold and Not So Bold Predictions

Jamaal Charles will be better than ever, simply because he won't be overused, will stay fresh, and defenses will not be able to afford to key on him. Even when he doesn't own the stats, his presence will be huge, because when he is rotated in, defenses will have to leave some space uncovered which will be exploited expertly in the passing game.

Bold:

1. This is it for DJ and Tamba. Both will be on the couch this time next year. Both will lose a step this year. 

Tamba is about done.  DJ has a few more years in him.

2. Marcus Peters will suffer from the sophomore slump. He will be going against the #1 receiver this year and I really don't see him as a shut down corner. He was targeted a lot last season. He will go against Deandre Hopkins, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Allen Robinson, Brandon Marshall, Mike Evans, Demarius Thomas (2x) and Amari Cooper (2x). Moncrief, Cooks, and Allen (2x) are no slouches either. 

Could be.  I agree that Peters is probably not a Champ Bailey in his prime...a true shutdown corner.  He compares more closely to his hero, Charles Woodson.

3. Alex Smith will have a career year. 

I think this, too.  Better O-line, stacked backfield, more experience in the receiving core.  Add that to the questionable defense, and he might have to do more to win games, increasing his stats.

4. Frankie Hammond will be on the active roster in at least eight games. We need more special teamers. Especially if Conley actually starts as the #2. 

Meh.  He has stayed around too long, IMO.

5. Hill will tie or surpass Dante Hall's single season special teams TD record of three TDs.

Nope.

Not So Bold:

1. Dadi Nicholas won't have a sack. I hope he turns out to be good but, all of his preseason glory was against 3rd and 4th stringers. I doubt he is even active much. He will be this year's Justin March. It will be a "red shirt" year for him in some form.

Depends on the health of our EDGE guys.  He might be forced into early action.

2. Berry will have a career year and make the All Pro team again.

He better, for his sake.

3. Nickel back will be a problem early in the year. I won't be surprised if we see Ron Parker playing nickel back again after the bye. 

Parker excelled there last year.  I see no need to change it.

4. Justin Houston will have little to no impact on this season. He will have less than five sacks if any.

Hard to tell.  We don't know the true extent of where his rehab is at.

5. Albert Wilson will be the #2 again early in the year. This whole Conley at #2 on the depth chart thing is just to motivate Wilson. Conley might be the #2 in some packages. Especially the three WR sets but, he won't be the every down starter. I don't see that happening. 

If so, then Wilson better give full effort this year.  Too many times last year passes thrown within his reach hit the ground.  Needs to sell out.

Bold Predictions

1. Tamba Hali leads the team with 10 sacks.

2. Justin March leads the team in tackles

3. Phillip Gaines gets 15+ passes defensed and 3 INTs.

4. D.J. White is the team's permanent nickle back following the bye week.

5. Dee Ford gets hurt before the bye week and is placed on IR.

Not So Bold Predictions

1. Alex Smith throws for over 4,000+ yards and 25+ TDs.

2. Charcandrick West again leads the team in rushing.

3. De'Anthony Thomas gets another concussion and promptly retires.

4. Chris Conley sticks as the team's #2 receiver and gains over 600 yards with 5 TDs.

5. Tyreek Hill supplants Albert Wilson as the team's #3 receiver by week 8.

I just don't see it with Conley. He was nothing more than a role player at Georgia. I really don't think he'll work out as the number two but, we'll see. 

Chiefs staff and people who closely follow the team describe him as a physical freak with unlimited potential.  I like the way he can out jump defenders for contested passes.  Maclin picked him as the one he wants most to help succeed and has been privately tutoring him over the winter.  To me, his improvement in the pre-season has been evident.  Albert Wilson has never done much to pique my great interest.

I have watched Conley's entire career from college to pros. He is a workout warrior who has consistently underachieved. He was a highly touted recruit at Georgia who never lived up to the hype. Sure, he will out jump everyone but he will also drop the ball or catch it with one foot in bounds. Maybe he's in there for blocking? Seriously, the #2 WR in our offense is like the fourth read 90% of the time.

Archived