Chargers VS Chiefs game thread

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another reason where I won't ever fully respect the QBR rating. Rivers had a good game and you could say he is alone, but he had a full 20 points more than Smith.

Smith did have a interception, but the people who wrote the ratings like to act like they take into account interceptions that are the receivers and quarterbacks fault as opposed to just the quarterback. They also say they do the same thing for sacks, but I don't think they really do.

Yes, we were down by 21 points and so the points that you gain in that span of time isn't high because it is considered garbage time points or yards, but I would think that a comeback victory would have a higher rating. Rivers started really well, particularly when he still had Allen, but the running game did a lot of that and so I don't see why he gets so much credit there.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400874570

I refuse to acknowledge ESPN's QBR. 

Well, they are just trying to find some measurable for one player's performance.  But they and everyone else know its ridiculous to make these ratings in a team game.  There is no real measurement.  Just like yards gained for running backs, the O-line has possibly a little bit to do with the success of the passing game. So does the score, itself, and a bunch of other things that determine how many plays you get and what kind of plays are called.   There is no real individual measurement that isn't automatically flawed in a team game. Late in a game, when you're behind, you have the luxury of using all four downs to get another first down.  That affects ratings for the QB, even though it is often losing defense that put the QB in that four-down position to start with.

Yesterday, Alex is the big hero, as if he played alone.  Santos is just as big a hero.  If he had missed even one of those field goals, we would never have tied it to force OT.  SD missed one.  There is the six point difference right there.  Everybody's rating depends on everyone else's performance on the team.  ESPN, like all the pundits, is just grasping to find something to measure.  They see it as their job, but everyone knows these things are bullshit.  

He got good pressure while in there.

Every time I have seen him in pre-season, he has.  Looking at the trouble with pass defense we had yesterday, I still feel that he should be rotated in more regularly on obvious passing downs.  He is a weapon.  He looks like a gem of a draft pick.

Every time I have seen him in pre-season, he has. Looking at the trouble with pass defense we had yesterday, I still feel that he should be rotated in more regularly on obvious passing downs. He is a weapon. He looks like a gem of a draft pick.

They say if he waited another year to be drafted he'd be a top 5 pick. He's already such a handful for OL's. They'll need to double him up to contain his strength

They say if he waited another year to be drafted he'd be a top 5 pick. He's already such a handful for OL's. They'll need to double him up to contain his strength

Not only that, but he will always be the inspiration for lots of bad puns about his "episode" during the combine.  In fact, I would probably stay away from the term "handful."

QBR is crap.

Yep. There are 22 players that graded better than average and only 28 quarterbacks played so far. With two more games to go, theoretically, 26 of 32 quarterbacks could have played better than average.

I realize that it is only one week and it will even out, but the whole thing was designed to take care of that eye test. The eye test has to perceptions that go into it, but I think it should be more closer to not. Philip Rivers should not grade out better because he is Philip Rivers. Individually in

a game, see what he did. I know you can't really do that with numbers, but the formulas wrong.

I'm not saying that he played great the whole game or wasn't this San Diego's defense problems, but I don't think he should be 17th with a come back and a game-winning touchdown. Some of that might be deemed in garbage time due to the point differential, but some of that was clutch.

Everybody's rating depends on everyone else's performance on the team.  ESPN, like all the pundits, is just grasping to find something to measure.  They see it as their job, but everyone knows these things are ***.  

You evidently haven't spent enough time reading the comments on Arrowhead Addicts. There are some people that swear by QBR as the basis for being critical of Alex Smith (although that quieted somewhat after Smith out-ranked Tom Brady for the 2015 season).

You evidently haven't spent enough time reading the comments on Arrowhead Addicts. There are some people that swear by QBR as the basis for being critical of Alex Smith (although that quieted somewhat after Smith out-ranked Tom Brady for the 2015 season).

I try not to make a habit out of reading Arrowhead Addicts

Is this years Chiefs the 2014 Royals? As far as that goes the come back 2015 Royals?

"Using Pro Football Reference’s win probability calculator, there was a point in the fourth quarter the Chiefs were less likely to win than the Royals’ low point in the 2014 Wild Card Game."

https://kansascity.relaymedia.com/amp/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article101279167.html

Joel Thorman makes a good point. It demonstrates how Alex Smith may be willing to take more chances when he trusts a receiver. Smith was given the title of game manager, and it was valid. However, that may have only been a valid designation because he was not foolish enough to place too much faith in unreliable receivers.

Maclin, Conley, and Kelce have deserved the trust of Alex Smith, and he has responded. Others are still not as trusted. So for all those who berated Alex for his conservative nature, maybe it was as much a part of the hand he was played. After all, how willing would you be to throw to a covered Dwayne Bowe, Donnie Avery, Kyle Williams, or AJ Jenkins?

No shit.  I think a lot of so-called "experts" are going to find out that A. Smith is a lot better than he has been labeled.  I forget where I read it, but one of the offensive coaches for the Chiefs was quoted as saying the team has "an embarassment of riches" when it comes to playmakers. San Fran never had that when A. Smith was their QB.

Joel Thorman makes a good point. It demonstrates how Alex Smith may be willing to take more chances when he trusts a receiver. Smith was given the title of game manager, and it was valid. However, that may have only been a valid designation because he was not foolish enough to place too much faith in unreliable receivers.

Maclin, Conley, and Kelce have deserved the trust of Alex Smith, and he has responded. Others are still not as trusted. So for all those who berated Alex for his conservative nature, maybe it was as much a part of the hand he was played. After all, how willing would you be to throw to a covered Dwayne Bowe, Donnie Avery, Kyle Williams, or AJ Jenkins?

When you say there are others he doesn't trust, you meant Wilson, right? :-) But I think that the situation being down by a lot and the fact that the interception was to Maclin, contributed to Smith not becoming more conservative after the interception. If the game had been close and it were Wilson that allowed the interception, maybe he would hesitate on a different play to Wilson, such as the back shoulder throw to Maclin for the TD.

A lot of people have been hating on Conley this summer but he only needs two things.  Experience, and balls thrown his way.  He may never be an all-pro, but he has the skills to be a very good #2.

Yeah.  I've noticed that.  Its without basis.  Whenever I see a guy described as having "freakish athletic ability" like Conley, the only thing preventing eventual excellence would be either attitude toward work, slow reaction time, or low intelligence.  So far, I have not seen any of those things mentioned about him.  I am very excited about him and have been for quite some time.

So......if Alex has a pro bowl WR, a pro bowl TE, a pro bowl RB, 2 very talented backup RBs, a competent O-line, an improved Conley then he can be a good QB? I'll take it!!!

Key part is the oline. Then, due to it being a WCO system, the runningback has to be able to catch and hold onto the ball. Receivers don't have to be pro-bowl but reliable to be where they are supposed to be. I don't get how that is too much to ask and I don't see that as being much that most any quarterback needs.

Archived