Chargers VS Chiefs game thread

Yeah.  I've noticed that.  Its without basis.  Whenever I see a guy described as having "freakish athletic ability" like Conley, the only thing preventing eventual excellence would be either attitude toward work, slow reaction time, or low intelligence.  So far, I have not seen any of those things mentioned about him.  I am very excited about him and have been for quite some time.

Conley was a project with good measurables. Georgia has done a pretty bad job at building up their talent.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joel Thorman makes a good point. It demonstrates how Alex Smith may be willing to take more chances when he trusts a receiver. Smith was given the title of game manager, and it was valid. However, that may have only been a valid designation because he was not foolish enough to place too much faith in unreliable receivers.

Maclin, Conley, and Kelce have deserved the trust of Alex Smith, and he has responded. Others are still not as trusted. So for all those who berated Alex for his conservative nature, maybe it was as much a part of the hand he was played. After all, how willing would you be to throw to a covered Dwayne Bowe, Donnie Avery, Kyle Williams, or AJ Jenkins?

Smith had a great rapport with Vernon Davis. He was one of Smith's most productive targets during the 49ers' 2011 post-season. That detail gets lost in all of the "3 yards to wide receivers in the NFC Championship Game" nonsense.

For that matter, although Kyle Williams played many games with Colin Kaepernick, all of Williams' career touchdown receptions came from Alex Smith. Smith has been making some low-level receivers productive for some time. Michael Crabtree might be the only receiver Smith has played with that had a career of any note when he left his team.

Peters was victimized time after time  in the first half....one could argue that if Keenan Allen had not gotten hurt, KC would have lost this game.

w

Peters has a short memory. I hope he bounces back. The Texans match up well at WR with any team out there. Hopkins is a monster. I rated Gaines ahead of Peters in the game Sunday.

Eric Fisher had the highest ranking for LTs in the NFL Sunday. LDT was incredible. The normally dependable, Mitchel Schwartz had a botched play, but otherwise was solid. Mitch Morse did not have his best performance, but was good enough. Ehinger held in there for the most part. Through Morse, and Ehinger is where Smith faced the most pressure.

Yeah.  I've noticed that.  Its without basis.  Whenever I see a guy described as having "freakish athletic ability" like Conley, the only thing preventing eventual excellence would be either attitude toward work, slow reaction time, or low intelligence.  So far, I have not seen any of those things mentioned about him.  I am very excited about him and have been for quite some time.

Some just don't understand patience.  Many called DJ a bust his first couple of years.  Same with several other players who eventually became solid contributors.  Transitioning to the NFL has to be a tough thing.

Eric Fisher had the highest ranking for LTs in the NFL Sunday. LDT was incredible. The normally dependable, Mitchel Schwartz had a botched play, but otherwise was solid. Mitch Morse did not have his best performance, but was good enough. Ehinger held in there for the most part. Through Morse, and Ehinger is where Smith faced the most pressure.

Fisher looked like he did when I saw him at the senior bowl a few years ago. He played tough and scrappy, like I believe he was meant to be, and why he was drafted. He got beat a few times but for most of the game he held his own, I was impressed.

Bavariang,  Haven't seen you post in awhile.  Hope you are well.  You are indeed a rarity,  a guy who posts positive things all the time!

Yeah, I haven't been following the Chiefs at all this offseason. It was fun watching them today after the fact. I'm a homer and I guess it's hard for me not to be positive about the Chiefs, not matter how hard I pretend to be objective, lol.

The biggest issues for the Chiefs are the lack of a thumper at ILB, and a spare OLB. Hali started slow last season. This may be the way it goes for him, until he is done. He is getting older, and it may take him a while to get to game speed. Dee Ford made a couple of good plays. Dadi Nicolas is not quite ready to play. He really needs to add some weight. March is out of position. He will be best at the ILB spot currently occupied by D Johnson.

Up, and down the draft, the Chiefs did well (with the exception of Kevin Hogan). I wished the Chefs would have traded down or picked someone else in that spot. Tereek Hill seems to be a great find. If he is truly over his anger issues, Hill may turn out to be quite a find.

I was really pulling for Josh Forest. The Rams picked Josh at 190. They may have a bargain at that pick. Josh knew I was a Chief fan. His mom works at the hospital, and we know her very well. I know he is happy to be playing anywhere. However, I am sure Josh wanted to either be picked to play for the Titans or KC. During the draft, my wife was in the hospital following hip surgery. I took a picture of her with a Chiefs blanket, and sent it to Iris (his mom). She sent it to Josh. Josh gave us a thumbs up. Iris said "fingers crossed".

It never happened. I know Josh is a long shot, but he has the physical skills to make it. He ran a slow time at the combine, and that time shocked us all. I know he ran a 4.6 in high school, and was hoping to run better at the combine. He was sick. Instead of declining to run, he ran anyway.

Josh made the team for the Rams, and suited up tonight. Just in case, keep this kid in mind. He isn't as powerful as one would want, but he went from playing basketball to trying out for the football team because his friend decided to give it a try. Josh played WR, and S. I thought he was good enough to do well at S, due to his hands, and nose for the ball. The UK coach needed a LB, and asked Josh to move up in weight. He added thirty pounds in less than a year. It obviously was not the right way to add weight. A year in the right weight training program, and Forrest could be a very good player.

I have an idea the Chiefs thought Mauga would be healthy. That is the only reason I can think of why they wasted a pick on Hogan, and did not get an ILB like Forrest, who plays at 250 lbs. Justin March-Lillard is three inches shorter, and weighs 28 lbs less.

http://www.therams.com/team/roster/Josh-Forrest/564571e0-525b-4cff-82ec-07bde115d424

Clock Management: http://m.cjonline.com/sports/2016-09-12/clock-management-alex-smiths-late-game-heroics-key-chiefs-rally-over-chargers#

I did think Rivers had too much time to get a game winning field goal, but San Diego went conservative, played for overtime - but otherwise, the article shows how Reid did a good job managing the clock this time - 4 scores in 21 minutes is pretty quick, a little no huddle along the way.

22/35, 170 yards, 4.9 YPA, 1 TD, 0 INT, 43 yards rushing, 91.1 QBR (Gabbert - 2nd in NFL)

34/48, 363 yards, 7.6 YPA, 2 TDs, 1 INT, 15 yards rushing, winning Rushing TD, 61.3 QBR (Smith - 19th)

Ridiculous. I know, sack yards, third down conversion, half the game led to 21 point deficit, but geez, 91.1 to 61.3?

I agree that Peters is mentally tough "on the field", has a short memory and should bounce back. 

Hopkins is a beast and it will be very easy for Houston to see what the Bolts did well in the first half.

Peters needs to stay focused and keep his emotions in check during the game.

w

Oddly enough, Smith had a bigger comeback against Andy Reid's Philadelphia eagles when the Niners came back from a 23 point deficit to win. He didn't do as much in that game to win it, but he was the quarterback.

http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/18302/theres-nobody-happier-for-alex-smith-than-andy-reid

Peters has a short memory. I hope he bounces back. The Texans match up well at WR with any team out there. Hopkins is a monster. I rated Gaines ahead of Peters in the game Sunday.

Agree with West.  Their team changed immediately after he left the game, and our team would do the same thing if we lost Maclin (came perilously close with that hit by the maniac, Addae).  But you don't need to worry about Peters, from what I have read, his best attribute is his short memory.  He learned that from his dad probably, even before he started to play at the college level.

Yes, it was great to see Gaines do well after missing last year.  Those knowledgable have great confidence in him becoming a top flight CB. Peters was predicted to have a come down.  He got all those I's last year because people were staying away from Sean Smith, who ended up on the bench in Oakland on Sunday.  Smith will recover and do fine, but I wonder if  will start losing a tiny bit of speed now at this stage of his career.  He was outrun by his WR on Sunday.  That was clear, and it was why he was benched.  Chiefs may have been savvy to let him walk.

Agree with West.  Their team changed immediately after he left the game, and our team would do the same thing if we lost Maclin (came perilously close with that hit by the maniac, Addae).  But you don't need to worry about Peters, from what I have read, his best attribute is his short memory.  He learned that from his dad probably, even before he started to play at the college level.

Yes, it was great to see Gaines do well after missing last year.  Those knowledgable have great confidence in him becoming a top flight CB. Peters was predicted to have a come down.  He got all those I's last year because people were staying away from Sean Smith, who ended up on the bench in Oakland on Sunday.  Smith will recover and do fine, but I wonder if  will start losing a tiny bit of speed now at this stage of his career.  He was outrun by his WR on Sunday.  That was clear, and it was why he was benched.  Chiefs may have been savvy to let him walk.

We will have to worry about all of DBs if we don't get a pass rush

Thought the bold was funny:

"Alex told us at halftime that there was no 17-point play, we were not going to get it all at one time," Schwartz said. "He was in complete control and really kept us in that one-play at a time mindset. He didn't lose control until after he scored."

http://m.wptz.com/sports/opening-win-a-new-experience-for-chiefs-schwartz/41673974

Thought the bold was funny:

"Alex told us at halftime that there was no 17-point play, we were not going to get it all at one time," Schwartz said. "He was in complete control and really kept us in that one-play at a time mindset. He didn't lose control until after he scored."

http://m.wptz.com/sports/opening-win-a-new-experience-for-chiefs-schwartz/41673974

I'm glad he was talking about Alex's emotions and not his bladder.

Archived