Lots of courage, composure, and strength in the comeback. They almost blew it. I hope the Chiefs reach down deep, and understand they cannot take any game they play for granted. Peters got beat badly. Had it not been for Keenan Allen suffering a tragic ACL injury, I don't know they would have. Allen was outstanding, and dominated Peters. Keenan Allen suffered a lacerated kidney last year, and came back strong. As losing Charles was tough on the Chiefs, losing Allen to such a senseless injury was hard to take.

The Chiefs move on. They got a win. They have to get better. Had they played Denver, I doubt they would be happy right now. Still, they returned from a huge deficit. The Chiefs were supposed to be the team to win close games. If they got behind more than two touchdowns, it was over. That myth may be over. As much as I would like to credit Alex Smith, I have to say he left a lot of plays on the field. Maclin was wide open a number of times. There were overthrown receivers. In the end he got it together, and won the game on a two yard run  by inches on 3rd and goal.

Travis Kelce is better. He may now be the best TE in the league (we'll see, as Gonk will have a say). Harris had some good blocks, as did Ross Travis.Harris had two snags for 20 yards Conley got open, and caught passes to solidify his place as the #2 WR. Santos was solid. Steven Nelson played hard, and Phillip Gaines might have been the best corner on the field. Dee Ford was abysmal until the sack, but it was a very important sack. Tamba looked old. DJ looked old. The Chiefs need a thumper in the middle, and miss Mauga.

The rookies did alright. Tyreek Hill showed a little thrill, but needs to do more. DJ White had a nice play. Murray put in some good work. Parker Ehinger was not great, but he gained some experience, and Alex Smith did not get hurt. Chris Jones got a lot of time on the field. Here's hoping he does more with his opportunities in the future. Let's hold off on sizing him for a H of F jacket.

Spencer Ware should get the game ball.

The Chiefs play at Houston next Sunday.

Gaines/Nelson and Peters can hold down the CB spots without killing the Chiefs.

They absolutely have to develop a better pass rush.  One sack by an otherwise ineffective Ford just doesn't cut it.  Maybe Hali will sharpen up with more game time and maybe the line will play like we expected, but the first half defense was awful.

I'd like to see Hill get more touches.  Did he even have any balls thrown his way other than the TD?  Give him a run or two.  He looked pretty good on punt returns and if he's not getting looks in the offense, then let him return K.O.s as well.

Ware did just as much as a healthy Charles would have done, maybe more.  There may not be room for both of them and West on the active roster.  Davis is apparently not part of the offense so when JC comes back, let him go.

Not sure what to think of March.  He had a lot of tackles but the run defense was terrible.  Have to watch the replay to place fault but with an aging DJ, the Chiefs need ILB upgrades.

What happened with the vaunted D-line?  Hope it was just opening game jitters.

Conley wasn't spectacular, but he did his job.  Wilson wasn't and didn't.

The Chiefs may not beat the Texans, but they won't be as bad as they looked in the first half today.

I don't recall seeing Hali much until late in the game. 

March played his first actual NFL game ever, give him some time.

Hill needs more touches, but I don't mind if they opt to not overload his plate right away.

I think DJ was trying to do too much, but yes he's slowing down.

Poe was average.  Howard and Bailey looked mostly invisible and Chris Jones was up and down.

I think they handle the Texans just fine as long as they actually come ready to play next week.  Andy is good at making Romeo Crennel his bitch and the Texans offense is stoppable.

Gaines/Nelson and Peters can hold down the CB spots without killing the Chiefs.

They absolutely have to develop a better pass rush. One sack by an otherwise ineffective Ford just doesn't cut it. Maybe Hali will sharpen up with more game time and maybe the line will play like we expected, but the first half defense was awful.

I'd like to see Hill get more touches. Did he even have any balls thrown his way other than the TD? Give him a run or two. He looked pretty good on punt returns and if he's not getting looks in the offense, then let him return K.O.s as well.

Ware did just as much as a healthy Charles would have done, maybe more. There may not be room for both of them and West on the active roster. Davis is apparently not part of the offense so when JC comes back, let him go.

Not sure what to think of March. He had a lot of tackles but the run defense was terrible. Have to watch the replay to place fault but with an aging DJ, the Chiefs need ILB upgrades.

What happened with the vaunted D-line? Hope it was just opening game jitters.

Conley wasn't spectacular, but he did his job. Wilson wasn't and didn't.

The Chiefs may not beat the Texans, but they won't be as bad as they looked in the first half today.

Just re-watched it.

- d line had penetration. Missed a lot of tackles

There was pressure imo. Rivers avoided it well.

First drive gave them a lot of momentum. Ron Parker missed two big tackles that may have prevented the first score and changed momentum.

Announcer made it sound like peters was getting killed. He did fine. Gaines looked good too. 29 was MIA..

-Conley and Kielce need more chances. Conley was open deep a couple times.

- just Houston got paid because he's a beast. He will be missed. Anyone doubting that guys worth is crazy. Different defense altogether without him. Abdullah will be missed big time.

He's proving that the Chiefs are right to not pay him like the top S in the NFL.  I think his typical play is better than that, but he's not elite and I'm not sure if I totally buy that he's a total source of energy for the D.

The late throw that Alex had to Spencer Ware is probably one of the best throws that he's ever made.

- just Houston got paid because he's a beast. He will be missed. Anyone doubting that guys worth is crazy. Different defense altogether without him. Abdullah will be missed big time.

I'm tired of hearing this. $19 million could have paid for a quality left guard and a quality outside linebacker. Smith would have gotten key protection during the first half, and Philip Rivers might not have had all day to throw to Keenan Allen. The offense would be better, and the defense wouldn't have been much worse.

I'm tired of hearing this. $19 million could have paid for a quality left guard and a quality outside linebacker. Smith would have gotten key protection during the first half, and Philip Rivers might not have had all day to throw to Keenan Allen. The offense would be better, and the defense wouldn't have been much worse.

If the defense keeps getting killed an average left guard and average olb won't matter. I'll take an ELITE DEFENDER.

If the defense keeps getting killed an average left guard and average olb won't matter. I'll take an ELITE DEFENDER.

You absolutely dodged my point. The defense is getting killed because it has a young athlete at one end of the front seven, a diminished Tamba Hali at the other end (not the Tamba Hali Kansas City fans are used to), and a young-and-weaker-than-average ILB playing alongside an aging Derrick Johnson. Justin Houston wouldn't fix all of that: Opposing offenses would just run plays away from him. And, of course, the main issue is that the "elite defender" is soaking up 12% of the team's total salary cap while being sidelined.

You can't invent a formula that somehow makes a contribution of nothing more relevant than a contribution of something.

You absolutely dodged my point. The defense is getting killed because it has a young athlete at one end of the front seven, a diminished Tamba Hali at the other end (not the Tamba Hali Kansas City fans are used to), and a young-and-weaker-than-average ILB playing alongside an aging Derrick Johnson. Justin Houston wouldn't fix all of that: Opposing offenses would just run plays away from him. And, of course, the main issue is that the "elite defender" is soaking up 12% of the team's total salary cap while being sidelined.

You can't invent a formula that somehow makes a contribution of nothing more relevant than a contribution of something.

So you're saying he takes away half the field? I agree . Teams would be gaming planning just for him.

Archived