Touchbacks - New Rule - Knile Daviis

Like many of you, I watched multiple games all day yesterday.  One observation I had was that unless it was situational (right before half, desperation, penalty driven, etc.), every kickoff resulted in a touch back.  With the new rule that touch backs now put the ball at the 25, wouldn't it make more sense for kickers to try kicking the ball higher, and shorter?  Instead of kicking out of the endzone, kick it high at the goal line?  For years and years and years and years kickoffs taken have averaged right at the 20 yard line as the result.  I would think there would be metrics and stats guys out there showing the special teams coaches that 9 times out of 10 kicking the ball high and short would not get the ball past the 20, resulting in 5 more yards for the receiving team to overcome.  Anyone follow this logic?

Also, if this is how things go moving forward, why is Knile Davis still on the team?  It seems to me kickoff returns are what kept him on the team.  If there is little to no chance kickoffs will be returned moving forward, wouldn't it make sense to go younger and cheaper?    

did you watch the NE/Aizona game?..Billicheck had his kicker send them high  short and none of the run backs got past the 20. It worked Sunday night but it'll bite you too  at the worst possible moment. probably depends on how much faith you have in your ST

That's a point that I referred to in a earlier post.  Knile Davis has no role beyond returning kick offs and that's rare.  When JC returns, Davis is expendable.  If teams are going to start kicking higher and shorter, then Hill could do the job since the kick would more resemble a punt return.

I don't know how hard it is for a kicker to arc it high and get it near the goal line.  Seems like a good plan and more hang time should reduce the risk if the kick is a bit short.  Wouldn't it be possible to kick to around the ten and hold the return to less than ten yards?  Teams will be trying that soon.  Probably less risk of breaking a long return than the normal K.O.

The whole purpose of the rule change is to reduce returns. The NFL wants to reduce kick returns due to all of the injuries incurred during kick returns. Bringing the ball out to the 25 incentivizes more teams to take a knee.

Got that, but teams want to win field position and high shorter kick offs will buy them some yards if properly done.

The Chiefs have until week 6 to return Jamaal Charles to the active list (if I read my NFL guidebook correctly), so what is the hurry? Allow Charles to get completely healthy. You never know when an injury (God forbid) may happen. If nothing happens, Charles is fresh for the second half of the season. If an injury prevents a player from finishing for the season, the Chiefs have Davis as a third back. It really does not hurt to leave him on the squad until they are forced to make a move.

The way Spencer Ware is playing, give him the ball. Keep him on a roll, and ride it out until he falters.

During the preseason, the league also allows players with long-term, but not season-ending, injuries to be placed into one of two designations: physically unable to perform (PUP), for injuries sustained during the previous season or during training camp, or reserve/non-football injury, for injuries sustained outside of team or league activities (despite the name, this includes lingering injuries from college football play, should an injured player be drafted and join the team). Both designations are functionally identical in that the player can be promoted to the active roster by week 6 of the regular season or placed on injured reserve.

If teams will kick it shorter then it's wise to have a solid return man. You just don't know which teams will do that though

True, but if the short kick off return is more like a punt, then why not have a punt returner (Hill?) back there instead of Davis.  It would be interesting to see the percentage of kicks that were run back last weekend.

Archived