Chiefs rework Houstons deal and get Cap Relief

Not exactly a pay cut. Part of this year's salary turned into bonus money which can be spread out over future years. Houston still get the money.

I know, I said that to irk PhataLerror. He has been a vocal minority against signing Houstonat all costs and he has brought up the misconception of Tom Brady taking a pay cut a few times.

Marcus Peters is deep into the BLM deception. He was torched last Sunday. There is a problem at CB. The Chiefs may need to bring in another CB in case things turn worse.

I think Emmitt Thomas knows what he's doing. I just figured that Peters read too many of his own press clippings and got a big head..getting burnt this early was just the right medicine for a swollen head..now if this keeps on  for another 2-3 weeks then I'd say  we got a problem. I think Peters needs some guidance back there  one reason Berry was signed because of his leadership abilities  Berry has been gone. In my yearly record prediction I called for the Defense to be a bit lost and needed time to jell. I see nothing  in this first game to say I was mistaken

I know, I said that to irk PhataLerror. He has been a vocal minority against signing Houstonat all costs and he has brought up the misconception of Tom Brady taking a pay cut a few times.

Huh? Tom Brady actually did take a pay cut so that his team could keep talent. You only have to look at his average salary by year to see that.

The misconception is that the common practice of restructuring contracts by converting current-year base salary into signing bonus is somehow "team-friendly" in the sense of reducing a team's overall cap liabilities. Tom Brady's current contract is positively less-than-market.

Justin Houston's cap number in 2017 will be $22,100,000. This is not OK.

Huh? Tom Brady actually did take a pay cut so that his team could keep talent. You only have to look at his average salary by year to see that.

The misconception is that the common practice of restructuring contracts by converting current-year base salary into signing bonus is somehow "team-friendly" in the sense of reducing a team's overall cap liabilities. Tom Brady's current contract is positively less-than-market.

Justin Houston's cap number in 2017 will be $22,100,000. This is not OK.

My mistake, but my original post was an inside joke. (Yes, what we owe him is not a joke. Or is it? ;))

The Chiefs reworked Houston's contract. They get more cap space this year at a cost of less cap space in the future. OK, spend it already. They need a OLB, especially if Houston does not return.

Maybe they are waiting until teams figure they won't make a run this year, and right before the trade deadline. The Chiefs have a need for an OLB, but who can they get?

I cannot believe they're saving this money for extra cap space next year. If that was the case, they would have made the move this spring instead of doing it now. I believe there has to be a move upcoming. Just can't tell with whom, and can't tell when. Likely soon.

It won't be easy. Teams aren't often willing to get rid of  3-4 pass rushing OLB. I can think of none, who are currently without a team. Most all who could help are locked up with contracts that would prohibit them from being traded due to cap issues.

The Chiefs have to get by with Ford, and Hali. Hali is getting old. He is not getting it done. Last year, he didn't get it going for four weeks. So, maybe he will take a few more games to get it going. Ford is not going to get more flexible as he ages, he just is not. Ford is what you see. He cannot bend the corner, and he won't be able to... ever. Houston may be able to get back. We hope he can. This is an issue, and the Chiefs did not address it in the draft. Don't blame KC, because there weren't any. The top 3-4 OLB  was Leonard Floyd, who was taken by Chicago with the their first selection, the 9th player in the draft. Floyd is not flexible. He might be worse than Ford when it comes to bending around a corner. Kevin Dodd was picked before the Chiefs pick when they traded back. He has good bend, but is not quick. Spence and a few others may turn out to become decent rush OLB, but they are regarded a lot further away. 

There are no simple answers. Guys like Justin Houston do not fall in your lap... not usually. That is why the Chiefs paid a lot of money to lock him up.

Archived