Chiefs cut 3rd round pick KeiVarae Russell, per NFL Network

I admire the staff for letting him go.  It has to be hard, especially from a PR standpoint, to admit that the third round pick was wasted, but how many time have we seen the Chiefs hang on to early round busts that remain busts.  Maybe Russell has the talent but not the brains or attitude to play CB for the Chiefs.  Maybe he has outside issues that we'll never know about.  Either way, better he's gone if he doesn't fit.  How long was Ryan Sims kept on the roster or Siavii and they were first picks.  Wouldn't the Chiefs have been better off releasing them early?

Someone on radio mentioned Russell did not get along with the other players on the team. What they know, and how they know it is up in the air. It may even be pure speculation.

John Dorsey did not believe Russell was a fit. Russell did not seem bothered by the move per his Twitter page.

I think if it's bad enough to they couldn't handle him for even 6 months, someone didn't do their homework.

It's nice they will admit a mistake, but cutting ties with a Day 2 player already is embarassing.

They absolutely could of used Braxton Miller with the sad shape the WR depth chart is, or Jordan Jenkins with how bad the depth is at OLB.

I think if it's bad enough to they couldn't handle him for even 6 months, someone didn't do their homework.

It's nice they will admit a mistake, but cutting ties with a Day 2 player already is embarassing.

They absolutely could of used Braxton Miller with the sad shape the WR depth chart is, or Jordan Jenkins with how bad the depth is at OLB.

Yep.

I'll give them credit for having the certitude to let him go, but when you get down to it, they still shit the bed on a 3rd round pick.

If you are not a starter, you had better be a special teams player. If not, then there is no room for you on the squad. The Chiefs had Peters, Gaines, Nelson, White, and Acker above Russell on their depth chart.

Russell did not know the defense, and he was not on special teams. If the Chiefs did not cut him, what would that say to the rest of the players on the team? He was a third round pick. That's a high pick compared to a 6th or 7th round guy, but certainly not a second or first round selection.

The Chiefs aren't talking. Russell isn't talking. There was a reason. The Chiefs just don't usually cut drafted players. In fact, they normally keep them. The last guy I recall getting cut was a QB, who wasn't any good, and before that, a FB, who sounded drunk when they announced his name. Just saying.

Archived