I posted endlessly of my concerns about Tyreek Hill this spring concerning whether he might become a star, and then we would lose him to a repeat episode of abuse of a girlfriend.  But I have to say, in terms of pure football, this guy is already a playmaker and just phenomenal to watch.  Electrifying.  He makes moves at full speed that just plain make me laugh.  He leaves defenders sitting on their butt shaking their heads and looking embarrassed.  And he has great hands.  Very sure-handed catching the ball.  I think we have found our Devin Hester.

My son and I were talking about what a weapon he could be. Split him out in man to man and just run a streak down the sideline. Aren't many DBs that could keep up, if any. So they tried it but the ball was short and out of bounds. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I am not seeing the whole Gaines thing.  He does do a good job covering, but he has cost us pretty big the last 2 weeks.  PI when it should have never happened and then last week he missed a huge tackle on 3rd down that would have given us the ball with a chance to score and tie.  Huge whiff on that one.  I hope he is going to be a good shut down corner, but at this point I will take Peters all day.

I posted endlessly of my concerns about Tyreek Hill this spring concerning whether he might become a star, and then we would lose him to a repeat episode of abuse of a girlfriend.  But I have to say, in terms of pure football, this guy is already a playmaker and just phenomenal to watch.  Electrifying.  He makes moves at full speed that just plain make me laugh.  He leaves defenders sitting on their butt shaking their heads and looking embarrassed.  And he has great hands.  Very sure-handed catching the ball.  I think we have found our Devin Hester.

I liked seeing Hill returning kicks instead of Davis, but he needs to learn that he can't always swing wide and outrun NFL coverage.  Twice he gave up yardage and started the Chiefs in a hole.  He'll learn and get better with coaching and experience.  The Chiefs should get him more involved in the offense as a receiver IMHO.

I liked seeing Hill returning kicks instead of Davis, but he needs to learn that he can't always swing wide and outrun NFL coverage.  Twice he gave up yardage and started the Chiefs in a hole.  He'll learn and get better with coaching and experience.  The Chiefs should get him more involved in the offense as a receiver IMHO.

I think they should rotate on kick-returns. Davis, is a straight-line runner and good in KO returns.

That exactly what has been bothering me about our fast punt returners for several years.  Young fast guys always think they can run around the coverage, and they can't in the NFL.  Half the time, they end up running backwards. It is just an instinct.  It must be unnerving to see big guys running at high speed directly at you. I can see why they would instinctively try to run sideways, but the guys on the outside are just too quick.  I just have to grit my teeth and partially cover my eyes when I see them do that.   If Hill can learn that he can't do that in the NFL, it would be excellent.  DAT never learned it. McCluster never did and could be brought down with someone sticking their pinkie out.  Hill is pretty strong and needs to be actually tackled. Instinct is hard to overcome.  It takes huge mental discipline...more than he showed with his girlfriend.  :wacko:

I guess I am not seeing the whole Gaines thing.  He does do a good job covering, but he has cost us pretty big the last 2 weeks.  PI when it should have never happened and then last week he missed a huge tackle on 3rd down that would have given us the ball with a chance to score and tie.  Huge whiff on that one.  I hope he is going to be a good shut down corner, but at this point I will take Peters all day.

Think of it this way....in the 113 snaps that Gaines was on the field for the last two weeks, you can only think of two times that he cost us big.  Granted, there were other plays...passes improperly defensed, potential missed run tackles in his direction, ect, but by your description he had a 98% success rate.  That's doesn't sound bad to me...he also forced the fumble that Eric Murray recovered...everyone seems to forget that...

We just have a tendency to only remember the bad and not the good...i'm guilty of it myself...what i do remember is that the Jets had only 188 yards of allowed passing yards and I just don't recall Gaines being responsible for any more of it than anyone else...

Think of it this way....in the 113 snaps that Gaines was on the field for the last two weeks, you can only think of two times that he cost us big.  Granted, there were other plays...passes improperly defensed, potential missed run tackles in his direction, ect, but by your description he had a 98% success rate.  That's doesn't sound bad to me...he also forced the fumble that Eric Murray recovered...everyone seems to forget that...

We just have a tendency to only remember the bad and not the good...i'm guilty of it myself...what i do remember is that the Jets had only 188 yards of allowed passing yards and I just don't recall Gaines being responsible for any more of it than anyone else...

Exactly.  And I am also basing it on just watching him cover guys and seeing clips of it later.  He is practically stuck to them without using his hands and drawing interference penalties.  When the good, fast wide receivers instantly change directions to cause separation, he follows them exactly, maintaining the speed the fastes receivers have and never allowing more than a few feet of separation, which usually quickly closes before the ball gets there. I think his skills as a cover corner are pretty astonishing. He doesn't get knocked away very easily in the first 10 yards off the line. He is only going to get better as he learns how to prep with film of QB's and receivers and with coaching up the little things like turning his head more, reading the QB's eyes, blocking for other receivers and RB's and TE's who have the ball, etc.  Basically he is a rookie who is already playing like the better cover corners.

I guess I misunderstood the whole post then.  My impression was the post said that he was lights out and the best corner on the team. My personal impression is that he is good in coverage, but not that great a tackler.  Like I said, I will take Peters all day long over Gaines.   

That does not mean that I do not like Gaines.  I definitely am glad we have him, but he still has a ways to go.

Well said. I agree completely. Better than Peters is lunacy at this point. I don't get the lack of love for Peters. He is not only the best on the team, but one of the best in the league. He led the league last year and he is leading the league this year. What's a guy got to do? 

Gaines had a tough game on Sunday. No doubt. It's OK to admit that. It doesn't mean we don't like him. It just means he had a tough game.

Archived