Sean Smith

Raiders CB Sean Smith allowed 172 yards and a touchdown on three receptions in Week 1 at New Orleans.

The dagger was a 98-yard score from Drew Brees to Brandin Cooks that resulted in Smith being benched by coach Jack Del Rio. "It was getting bad out there. I was costing our team points and Coach (Del Rio) did what he had to do," Smith said on Tuesday. The Oakland defense was solidified over the offseason with numerous high-profile signings like Smith, but the group was hammered in Week 1 by the Saints. The Raiders D/ST will be a low-end top-12 fantasy options at home against Atlanta in Week 2.

To be fair, Drew Brees and New Orleans do this to a lot of people. Their offensive schemes are very good. New Orleans lost that game. They lost because their defense is really bad.

The other observation is Oakland does not know how to properly use their assets. The key to Sean Smith's success was he played in a defense that he was ideally suited for. Moving to Oakland will probably expose his worst characteristics. However, who cares? Sean Smith is 29 years old. Oakland can decide to release Smith today, and he will walk away with more than half of his $40 M salary.

Sean Smith has already made over $21 M from Miami, and Kansas City. If he just keeps half of his money after tax, he can set his family up for generations to come.

With all respect, why are we so worried about Sean Smith?  He's gone.  Maybe he'll play well and maybe he will never be as good as in the past.  Except for when he plays against the Chiefs, I couldn't care less about Sean Smith.

The comments I responded to were towards Sean Smith. The Chiefs will play Oakland twice, therefore it is pertinent. The Chiefs play SD, and Flowers is as well. Flowers was too short, and although he was talented, the Chiefs moved on. Sean Smith is nearly 6'2", but he lacks quickness. The Chiefs let him go rather than pay him what the Raiders paid.

Now that we see what Gaines can do, the Chiefs obviously made the right move. Those who discount Sean Smith would be wise to back off that. Although he does have issues with quickness, he is tall, and rangy. Smith had a bad game against N.O. Part of that is the way he is being used for the Raiders, and part has to do with the dynamic offense for N.O.

The Raiders benched Sean Smith. Regardless of whether he returns or not, Smith made the right decision for himself, and so did the Chiefs.

With all respect, why are we so worried about Sean Smith?  He's gone.  Maybe he'll play well and maybe he will never be as good as in the past.  Except for when he plays against the Chiefs, I couldn't care less about Sean Smith.

Considering all of the folks here who said that Sean Smith was one of the most important players on the Chiefs' defense, and that the Chiefs should have found a way to keep him, Sean Smith's performance last week is of great interest. Smith could have raised doubts about Dorsey's decision. Instead, Smith validated Dorsey's approach to roster building.

Currently, Vahe Gregorian is writing a similar thing about the Chiefs' round 3 pick, KeiVarae Russell. How could they cut him. If he was that much of a whiff, how come Dorsey swung, and missed so badly.

Perhaps, Vahe needs to return to Saint Louis, and await the return of the Rams. I will tell you why Smith is gone, and Russell didn't quite make the grade. The Chiefs upped the ante, and the time is now. They swung and missed because the Chiefs are this close (fingers 2 mm apart), and Russell is a bigger project than the Chiefs have time for.

Why did Sean Smith go? They needed a starter, and he wanted too much money. The Chiefs needed a better starter at CB than they had last year. Sean Smith did not get thrown at because their DL and OLB got to their QB quicker than their QB could find an open WR. Even though Sean Smith is not quick, or as fast as he once was, the sight lines (due to his size) narrowed the space the ball could fit. Who are you going to throw to the rookie, who just begs you to throw his way, or the old pro, who limits made the target narrow to reach. By the way, 3 seconds, and you better get rid of the ball now, 'cause here is Houston.

Houston is not there. Dee Ford is not Houston, and frankly, Tamba Hali is not the younger Tamba Hali either. So, the plan that worked last year will not work again, especially as Sean Smith is being offered $40 M with half guaranteed at age 29. Fortunately, Dorsey remembered Phillip Gaines. So, all he needed was a nickle, a dime, and a couple of safeties (Hussain Abdullah abruptly retired, again, and one year wonder, Tyvon Branch is being offered too much money). So, the Chiefs shot bird pellets at the draft to fill their needs for DB. They hit on Murray, DJ White, the recovered Phillip Gaines, and Steven Nelson will do to. KeiVarae Russell is not yet good enough, and either can't or won't play special teams. So, Russell is gone. Sean Smith is gone. Ramik Wilson is on the practice team. Tyvon Branch is gone. The Chiefs have a bunch more CAP relief, and Dorsey is still trying to make a move. The time is now. You have a lot less patience when it is now. Sean Smith, Tyvon Branch, Ramik Wilson,and KeiVarae Russell weren't now. They are gone. Dorsey is prepared to make another pick to work his magic now.

Vahe, this ain't the Rams.

just playing Devils Advocate or Point Counter Point.. E you ignorant slut...that was a joke but

Currently, Vahe Gregorian is writing a similar thing about the Chiefs' round 3 pick, KeiVarae Russell. How could they cut him. If he was that much of a whiff, how come Dorsey swung, and missed so badly.

That is a viable question. You take swing and missed with 5-7 rounders and its still nor acceptable it shows a weakness in the scouting dept. There is a reason why teams stockpile draft picks and swings and a miss costs time & $$ and costs GM's their jobs. There will be much comparisons of 3rd round picks that are successful taken after Russell.

Perhaps, Vahe needs to return to Saint Louis, and await the return of the Rams. I will tell you why Smith is gone, and Russell didn't quite make the grade. The Chiefs upped the ante, and the time is now. They swung and missed because the Chiefs are this close (fingers 2 mm apart), and Russell is a bigger project than the Chiefs have time for.

Thats an assumption on your part no team not even the Pats are comfortable enough  to shrug off and cut a 3rd pick. The only realistic positive spin  one could put on this is that the Chiefs realized they wiffed and moved on

Why did Sean Smith go? They needed a starter, and he wanted too much money. The Chiefs needed a better starter at CB than they had last year. Sean Smith did not get thrown at because their DL and OLB got to their QB quicker than their QB could find an open WR. Even though Sean Smith is not quick, or as fast as he once was, the sight lines (due to his size) narrowed the space the ball could fit. Who are you going to throw to the rookie, who just begs you to throw his way, or the old pro, who limits made the target narrow to reach. By the way, 3 seconds, and you better get rid of the ball now, 'cause here is Houston.

Houston is not there. Dee Ford is not Houston, and frankly, Tamba Hali is not the younger Tamba Hali either. So, the plan that worked last year will not work again, especially as Sean Smith is being offered $40 M with half guaranteed at age 29. Fortunately, Dorsey remembered Phillip Gaines. So, all he needed was a nickle, a dime, and a couple of safeties (Hussain Abdullah abruptly retired, again, and one year wonder, Tyvon Branch is being offered too much money). So, the Chiefs shot bird pellets at the draft to fill their needs for DB. They hit on Murray, DJ White, the recovered Phillip Gaines, and Steven Nelson will do to. KeiVarae Russell is not yet good enough, and either can't or won't play special teams. So, Russell is gone. Sean Smith is gone. Ramik Wilson is on the practice team. Tyvon Branch is gone. The Chiefs have a bunch more CAP relief, and Dorsey is still trying to make a move. The time is now. You have a lot less patience when it is now. Sean Smith, Tyvon Branch, Ramik Wilson,and KeiVarae Russell weren't now. They are gone. Dorsey is prepared to make another pick to work his magic now.

one game does not make a "Hit". I do remember when Gaines got drafted  & I believe it was Herm Edwards who said this about him but Gaines was the " best Corner in the draft that you never heard of". Our DB's were getting torched until Allen got hurt. Logic dictates that if Allen were not hurt this game was going to be embarrassingly bad. If indeed the "Time is now" it is not because the strength and depth of the Chiefs Roster.  Its simply because Peyton is retired. Until the Chiefs have beaten the other two Divisional Rivals convincingly I'll just say that they have a better chance of winning the division than they did  in the previous two years. I called for them to win the Division but only by a tie breaker..I'm  bit less confident in that prediction after seeing the Raiders and especially the Broncos play. I'd say right now evidence shows (as little as there is) shows the AFC West as a Draw

Vahe, this ain't the Rams.

other than your apparent dislike of the Rams which I share in your loathing I think picking on a guy because he was the beat writer for a now non existent team petty.

i made a crack during 1st half of the Bolts game to the effect of "Where is Sean Smith?" as Marcus Peters was being roasted alive by Philip Rivers...

I was never a huge Sean Smith fan and no way is he worth what the Raiders paid for him.  That said, the Chiefs do have a very big problem if Peters does not get his head on straight and pick up his game.  For better or worse, he is OUR #1 CB and he is going to be tested every week with the opposing teams top receiving threat.....

Also, I think there is something else going on in regards to Russell.....not so sure what it is, but something else is going on.

He got like 4 snaps in preseason...that's not enough to tell anything....

w

The point where things changed seemed to be when Keenan Allen got hurt. Keenan Allen was having a great game. Similar to Charles, Allen really didn't get hit. His ACL just blew out, and the players knew it. After all Keenan Allen had gone through last year (lacerated kidney), it was a huge downer for the Chargers.

Alex Smith started the game off. Whether it was his foot placement or something else, he was not accurate, especially after the first drive. This changed in the second half. It was the second half that Alex Smith put the game on his back, and won the game. All game long, Ware had a great game, so you cannot take that away. He was terrific. Alex Smith picked up the game, and won a game they should've lost. A lot of this was do to luck, but someone threw the ball in tight spots, and made plays.

Alex Smith is a conservative player. This is not a shock to anyone who watches this game. Even at SF, Alex had moments where he took chances. This was often when he was behind, and had nothing left to lose. This is what happened against SD.

The Chiefs better put it together. They cannot get too high after this win. They should've lost. Normally, if you lose three quarters as bad as they did, the fourth quarter (no matter now good) is not going to be enough.

Archived