Game thread -Housron

I'll just say that the accusation of Maclin dogging it is the latest in a loooong line of excuses.

It wasn't my observation that he was dogging it and I wasn't using it to excuse Smith. How did I excuse Smith? I said he was off and having a bad day. I didn't say dogging it was causing any drops. In fact, even mentioning Maclin dogging it suggest that Smith isn't passing it down field to him and Maclin, a proven receiver, knows it. That is more of a criticism of Smith than it is Maclin.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't my observation that he was dogging it and I wasn't using it to excuse Smith. How did I excuse Smith? I said he was off and having a bad day. I didn't say dogging it was causing any drops. In fact, even mentioning Maclin dogging it suggest that Smith isn't passing it down field to him and Maclin, a proven receiver, knows it. That is more of a criticism of Smith than it is Maclin.

Oh I thought you said Maclin needs to not jog in the first sentence of the 4th paragraph. ;) Never mind ;)

Oh I thought you said Maclin needs to not jog in the first sentence of the 4th paragraph. ;) Never mind ;)

I should have added "IF he is jogging" (as I didn't see him jogging just went off the CBS announcers word) then he shouldn't jog. Should he? Is it wrong for me to say that? I did say that Smith should trust his receivers more and it goes without saying that he should be more accurate when he makes his passes.

I should have added "IF he is jogging" (as I didn't see him jogging just went off the CBS announcers word) then he shouldn't jog. Should he? Is it wrong for me to say that? I did say that Smith should trust his receivers more and it goes without saying that he should be more accurate when he makes his passes.

Messin' with you. Maclin better not jog. Not only does Smith have to trust his receivers, he needs to trust himself. Matriculate the ball down the field. Let's try the forward pass! Don't fear the INT!

Messin' with you. Maclin better not jog. Not only does Smith have to trust his receivers, he needs to trust himself. Matriculate the ball down the field. Let's try the forward pass! Don't fear the INT!

I'm not saying that Smith is good at coming back from a deficit just because of week one against San Diego, but if he were to have played with that abandon a few times in the last two years (trusting himself more like you said and playing with more urgency), we would've maybe beat Arizona (Kelce's not fumbling would have helped), competed better against Green Bay, beat a healthy Manning, etc. (Of course, there could be more losses like the Niners game.) There were three or four games last year that I felt that he didn't push when we had nothing to lose. There were two or three games where the offense got the lead or tied it in the last two minutes and the defense gave it up (though the defense certainly helped get us in that position). Of course, either way, we are talking about a minority of games.

I didn't see the urgency against Houston, but it wasn't as glaring deficiency of the team as it was and a few of the games last year. Not saying we should be happy with this "progress" we need to play urgent from earlier parts in the game. Calm and steady works until it doesn't. I think it be to trust himself more he would still protect the ball and we would win more significant games.

He was throwing like crap, line was blocking like crap, receivers were catching like crap. It was an anomaly. That game was not what our offense is. But we still only have 1 good WR that can get open most plays. That will slow us down. Kelce will be fine as long as he is not blocking. Oline will gel as we go.

My response from KC Kingdom:

"If the Chiefs want to get their offensive production up, then Alex Smith cannot become one-dimensional when choosing his targets. Smith needs to get the rest of his weapons involved." (Ben Almquist)

Here's a question: How much of this is on Smith, and how much of this is on the play-calling? Plays are designed with specific progressions, and the plays won't work effectively if Smith just looks at any receiver he wants to just to 'mix things up'. Is there a chance that Brad Childress and Matt Nagy are part of the reason that the first half offense has been stale?

Beyond that, it didn't really seem that the Chiefs' offensive line consistently created quality pockets from which Smith could consistently get through his progressions. Merely pointing out target shares without these contexts grossly oversimplifies the woes of the Chiefs' offense.

My response from KC Kingdom:

"If the Chiefs want to get their offensive production up, then Alex Smith cannot become one-dimensional when choosing his targets. Smith needs to get the rest of his weapons involved." (Ben Almquist)

Here's a question: How much of this is on Smith, and how much of this is on the play-calling? Plays are designed with specific progressions, and the plays won't work effectively if Smith just looks at any receiver he wants to just to 'mix things up'. Is there a chance that Brad Childress and Matt Nagy are part of the reason that the first half offense has been stale?

Beyond that, it didn't really seem that the Chiefs' offensive line consistently created quality pockets from which Smith could consistently get through his progressions. Merely pointing out target shares without these contexts grossly oversimplifies the woes of the Chiefs' offense.

Last year, and I don't know if this was just to promote Pedersen, but it was reported that read caught the first half and Pedersen called the second half, especially when we were nursing a lead.

If that is the same for this year, maybe Reid gets us off to a slow start and Childress and Nagy helped with the comeback. While I don't think that we played well in Houston, I would have to say the second half was better, even though some of that or most of the production was in garbage time. It's hard to have garbage time when we were always within 10 points, but a two score game is different than a one score game.

I kind of feel like they are built that way on offense. I feel like that there isn't 1st, 2nd and third progression on most plays. Especially short plays. They are designed for one guy. If he is covered most other options are setting up blocks rather than running routes. Patriots do this a lot as well.

I kind of feel like they are built that way on offense. I feel like that there isn't 1st, 2nd and third progression on most plays. Especially short plays. They are designed for one guy. If he is covered most other options are setting up blocks rather than running routes. Patriots do this a lot as well.

There are indeed those plays, and if your protection is suspect, you'll end up calling more of those. Screen plays are naturally that way. But a true West Coast Offense will work best when plays with a full progression can develop fully on account of quality play by the offensive line. It stresses the defense when they have to run around for more than three seconds, whereas plays that die early because of terrible protection will generally tire out the offense more. Because the pass protection has been consistently poor, the Chiefs are consistently lining up against fresh defenders.

I agree. I wish we ran more plays with full progressions. It would give secondary WRs a chance to make a play and Smith have more options than running.

And he might actually be able to throw down the field.

The line play across the NFL looks like dog shit.

they had mentioned during the game or pregame that Mac had missed a day or two during this last week for "personal reasons" I think it musta been during the game because it was after one of his uncharacteristic drops..what ever his troubles are I wish him well so he can get his head straight.

I think I saw an article saying one of his closest friends had died. That might have been why he was out.

In seeing the Texans play in New England, it seems cheap that this is the week where the Texans are making the big mistakes. They played above their talent level last week. Then this week, they come out flat against a Patriots squad fielding a third-string quarterback. That's one of the things that frustrates me most about football fanship: Your team comes out flat, and there's nothing you can do for them.

It looks like the Patriots just might go 4-0 without Brady and that should put an end to the whole Brady made Belichick thing.

I mean heck, he went 11-5 with Matt Cassel.

It's gonna look bad when Brady comes back to an undefeated team and will be ready to scorch the NFL.

I'm sure Bellicheat is glad he had Deflated Balls Brady

I cannot believe the Chiefs lost to these clowns. I know it's hard to play a game on Thursday on short rest, but New England did it too. The Chiefs did not deserve to win the first game, except for a few breaks, they would have lost the opener to San Diego.

Clearly, the Chiefs have not yet gelled. They are under a new offensive coordinator. The previous OC looks pretty good in Philly. Actually, I like a lot of the things the Chiefs are doing. They are throwing a lot of timing passes, and back shoulder throws. That makes sense when you have guess like Kelce and Maclin. Speaking of those two, Kelce should learn to block, and Maclin has sudden handsstonitis. The later is a real shock. 

Peters recovered from his horrid opener. Poe had one of his best games ever. Ware and West were good. The Chiefs really miss Houston, and Alex looked like he met a ghost. It was one of those you want to throw away the book, and start over, but they can't. They can't because they did that the week before.

The Chiefs need more practice time. They don't need the hits that knock key players out of commission. They need timing to get their defense playing better, and timing to make those pass receptions. It is hard to say if Alex was bad or if the wide receivers did not run their routes well. There were some definite overthrows. That is the think about Alex. People like to bag on him for a weak arm, but he overthrows everything if he misses. I am surprised he doesn't throw more picks. This year, he has had one interception. The line on Alex is 1 running TD, 2 passing TD, 2 lost fumbles, and 1 interception. He has to do better. I think he will. He started puking it up against SD, but got a shot of Adrenalin, and played one of his best quarters ever. They won because Alex Smith willed them a win. This past week, not so much. The Chiefs were only in it because Housron sucked so much.

Housron is not a great team. KC is not either, not yet. Currently I believe Denver is the best team in the AFC West. San Diego, Oakland, and KC can all play musical chairs for second place for now. The Chiefs are one down on Denver. They need to get it going. I predicted they would be 10-6 on a fairly easy schedule. That can still get them in, but they need to pull up their pampers, and play.

Archived