Granted Alex is older but IMO I'm not sure CK is really proved he's a $100 mil QB and to add insult with Cutler's contract it just keeps raising Alex's pay potential. I think this very easily become Alex playing this year for $7 mil, see how Murry progress's, franchise Alex the next year if need be and  if Murry is the QBOF we have a few cheap years to build a team around him. Is Alex a 5 year $80-90 mil guy? The numbers scare me to death  especially with the guaranteed  $$ level raising also to a new high. of $61 Mil.

The Chiefs better hope one of these younger cheaper QB's pans out or  the way things look Alex could break the bank and not even have to try..... its the going rate for a top 15 QB

i'd like to see him at least win the division...  If he can play like he did in the playoffs on a regular bases then I'd pay him that $$ in a second.  For me to get that money he should show he can constantly win games this year and win the big games...  If not let him play for $7 mil, then franchise next year.  

I agree Boss. We aren't in a rush to sign him right now. Also, we can franchise him twice with the new cba. It will just cost a shitload the second time but, it might be worth it. Three years is a long time in the NFL.

i'd like to see him at least win the division... If he can play like he did in the playoffs on a regular bases then I'd pay him that $$ in a second. For me to get that money he should show he can constantly win games this year and win the big games... If not let him play for $7 mil, then franchise next year.

This is going to be interesting to see how the Chiefs deal with this. My fear is that we over pay Alex and end up in a situation where we have a decent qb with little to zero weapons around him.

Alex hasn't proven jack yet, he shouldn't be paid like a top qb...YET.

These talking heads like to point out the CK has been to the Conference Championship and a Super Bowl. What they tend to forget is the year prior to SF going to the SB, Alex Smith had taken that same team to the Championship and was two muff kick returns away from a SB.

So the question is, is Alex Smith a good enough QB to take this team to the SB or is SF a good enough team to make any decent QB look like a $100 million dollar QB?

I personally dont believe any QB that has only started 23 games over a 3 year span with a record of 17-6 deserves the kind of money or contract he got today. Besides he has never ranked higher than 20 of all the QBs.

During that same time frame Alex Smith has started 43 games with a record of 31-11-1. In the same three years Smith has broken the 20 barrier twice. I am not saying Smith is a $100 million dollar QB just saying niether is CK.

This is a VERY strategic decision.....

IF Alex Smith wants a long term contract that makes sense for both HIM and THE TEAM....Then get a deal done.

If Alex demands Flacco Money, let him play out the contract and then as Boss Says...Franchise him next year.

No reason to join the Ravens in over paying for a QB.

w

Agree, west. You've got him for a bargain this year, so take advantage of that.

Btw, negotiations with kap took 1 day and the media is shocked it got done so easily. Duh, the 49ers came with such a stooped offer you'd have to be daft to turn it down.

At the end of the day Kap only gets $13M guaranteed.  The $126M is just a meaningless number.  He'll never play out this contract under these terms.  He gets his signing bonus, first year's salary and a workout bonus next season guaranteed.  That's it.

The lump sum number is meaningless in most every deal longer than 3 years.  For example, Flacco's deal probably earns him $48M over 3 years.  That's still $16M per year, and too much.  

kap navigated the 31st ranked pass offense..

never passes over 20 times a game and averages a little over 1 td a game..

yet hes not a game manager...hes ELITE.

yea right.

Gotta agree with letting this year play out first. If he's average, it would be more prudent to spend the money on a couple of other playmakers next year and give Murray or Bray a stacked team to help them out.

Great minds think alike. Dorsey and Co. are not giving Smith the big $ unless he earns it. By earning it there have to be some playoff wins involved. Letting him play out this year and franchising him in 2015 makes sense. By 2016 Reid should know what he has in Murray and Bray or even a QB that is selected in the 2015 draft. 

At the end of the day Kap only gets $13M guaranteed.  The $126M is just a meaningless number.  He'll never play out this contract under these terms.  He gets his signing bonus, first year's salary and a workout bonus next season guaranteed.  That's it.

The lump sum number is meaningless in most every deal longer than 3 years.  For example, Flacco's deal probably earns him $48M over 3 years.  That's still $16M per year, and too much.  

It's being reported that 60+ million of the contract is guaranteed.  Not sure where you get the 13 number.

It's being reported that 60+ million of the contract is guaranteed.  Not sure where you get the 13 number.

That was a mistake.  New info is year to year - 13 guaranteed.

This really isn't that bad.  I loses $2 million every year that he

1. takes less than 80% of the snap or

2. fails to go to the Super Bowl or Pro Bowl.

It also sounds like it is only guaranteed if he doesn't get cut.  I'd give Alex something like that if I understand it.

Trent Baalke is the new top notch GM -- after all, he screwed the Chiefs out of 2R2 for a B grade QB they wd have to cut sooner than later.  The Niners are becoming the new Steelers.  They are going nowhere any time soon.  They will be in the mix continually for the next decade.

I wish the Chiefs would figure out how to run a NFL team.  Instead of trying to imitate other NFL winners, become the next one.

I don't get the negativity. The way the Chiefs are being run is very different than the last decade. I feel a sense of stability for the first time in a long time. Alex was the best QB we could get and he played well for us. Second round draft picks are great but they are still a crapshoot. Dorsey has done a fine job of finding talent. We started one starter (Lewis) against San Diego and almost beat them. They were fighting to get into the playoffs. They made the playoffs and even won a game. It doesn't matter where the talent comes from. What matters is finding talent. A guy like Marcus Cooper for example is the equivalent of what you would expect of a second round draft pick. Last year's offseason acquisitions were superb. Dorsey should have won executive of the year imo.

I don't get the negativity. The way the Chiefs are being run is very different than the last decade. I feel a sense of stability for the first time in a long time. Alex was the best QB we could get and he played well for us. Second round draft picks are great but they are still a crapshoot. Dorsey has done a fine job of finding talent. We started one starter (Lewis) against San Diego and almost beat them. They were fighting to get into the playoffs. They made the playoffs and even won a game. It doesn't matter where the talent comes from. What matters is finding talent. A guy like Marcus Cooper for example is the equivalent of what you would expect of a second round draft pick. Last year's offseason acquisitions were superb. Dorsey should have won executive of the year imo.

other than the superb rating its hard to argue much of what Mugs said.

Yep Mongo I dont get all the negativity either.. I seriously think if there was a diamond in a Goat's Ass you couldn't find it even if someone told you it was there simply due to your outlook...its not a sin it have slightly red tinted glass's.. cheer up.

other than the superb rating its hard to argue much of what Mugs said.

Yep Mongo I dont get all the negativity either.. I seriously think if there was a diamond in a Goat's Ass you couldn't find it even if someone told you it was there simply due to your outlook...its not a sin it have slightly red tinted glass's.. cheer up.

My tinted glasses have finger print smudges and are cracked from all the years of covering my face and throwing them on the ground in disgust.

Pretty hard to see past those...

beeeeeelieve me I understand where your coming from. seen a lot of embarrassing performances out of these guys and 43 years of paying for season tickets too boot. Maybe its easier not to be soo ate up with it all being they are not getting our $10K a year

So far John Dorsey hasn't accomplished anything.  The Chiefs were primed for a turn around with the roster in place before Dorsey got here.  The lame schedule and NFCE imploding had as much to do with it than anything.  

Dorsey made some nice bargain basement additions last year in McGrath, Schwartz, Demps, even Jordan and Abdullah.  But the core of last year's team was built by Herm & Pioli  -- like him or not.  He got fleeced in the Al Smith deal and is now poised to overpay him.  Just because Al was "the best available", doesn't make him a championship QB.  We were short of ammo in the best draft in a decade.  He could not accomplish getting more picks.

His first draft class has produced nothing thus far.  Eric Fisher might pan out.  Kelce may never play a down.  I'm not holding my breath on the rest.  I like this draft class much more, but who knows?

He did nothing creative to get cap space to retain a guy like Schwartz.  I don't know what the plan is with Eric Berry, but I fear the Chiefs are planning on letting the third best player on this team walk.  That would be a terrible mistake.  Signing Berry to a new deal could have created $8M in cap space if you compare to Jyrius Byrd's deal.  He's worth it.  Since the Chiefs haven't done it, they were losers in free agency.  Not a single roster spot was improved upon.

So if you are comfy with a guy whose major accomplishment is that he was from Ted Thompson's staff, fine.  Doesn't sound a whole lot different than the last savior who rode into town.  

I thought Missouri was the :"Show Me" state.  It sounds more like the "Lemming", "Desperate" or "Pass the Kool-Aid" state to me.;I may not be able to "find a diamond in a goat's butt".  Some of you are elbow deep in one, not knowing if a diamond is in there or not.  You might end up with nasty fingers.      

I'll give John Dorsey my trust when the Chiefs win a playoff game.

So far John Dorsey hasn't accomplished anything. The Chiefs were primed for a turn around with the roster in place before Dorsey got here. The lame schedule and NFCE imploding had as much to do with it than anything.

Dorsey made some nice bargain basement additions last year in McGrath, Schwartz, Demps, even Jordan and Abdullah. But the core of last year's team was built by Herm & Pioli -- like him or not. He got fleeced in the Al Smith deal and is now poised to overpay him. Just because Al was "the best available", doesn't make him a championship QB. We were short of ammo in the best draft in a decade. He could not accomplish getting more picks.

His first draft class has produced nothing thus far. Eric Fisher might pan out. Kelce may never play a down. I'm not holding my breath on the rest. I like this draft class much more, but who knows?

He did nothing creative to get cap space to retain a guy like Schwartz. I don't know what the plan is with Eric Berry, but I fear the Chiefs are planning on letting the third best player on t his team walk. That would be a terrible mistake. Signing Berry to a new deal could have created $8M in cap space if you compare to Jyrius Byrd's deal. He's worth it. Since the Chiefs haven't done it, they were lsers in free agency. Not a single roster spot was improved upon.

So if you are comfy with a guy whose major accomplishment is that he was from Ted Thompson's staff, fine. Doesn't sound a whole lot different than the last savior who rode into town.

I thought Missouri was the :"Show Me" state. It sounds more like the "Lemming", "Desperate" or "Pass the Kool-Aid" state to me.;I may not be able to "find a diamond in a goat's butt". Some of you are elbow deep in one, not knowing if a diamond is in there or not. You might end up with nasty fingers.

I'll give John Dorsey my trust when the Chiefs win a playoff game.

If the Chiefs let Berry go they are taking a step backwards, that's a fact. For what, so we can over pay a qb that hasn't done SHIT?

His first draft class has produced nothing thus far.  Eric Fisher might pan out.  Kelce may never play a down.  I'm not holding my breath on the rest.  I like this draft class much more, but who knows?

never can you judge a draft on its first year/ you cant predict injuries.. shit happens & you conveniently keep forgetting that it takes 2 to renegotiate..Berry is due a nice bit of coinage this year & it is highly possible with the recent signing of the Safety in Seattle that he thinks he can keep on getting that type of $$. KC can not or nor should they have that kind of $$ invested into a Safety. If Berry wants to go somewhere else then so be it... your a broken record Mongo a one trick pony. You complain yet have no answers except to have Berry do something he evidently has no inclination to do. You bitch about Fischer but offer no other player that  should of been picked previously. I will agree I think 2 2nd round picks is not what I would preferred but it is done...look towards the future Mongo. I think you needs to change your name to Chicken Little

never can you judge a draft on its first year/ you cant predict injuries.. shit happens & you conveniently keep forgetting that it takes 2 to renegotiate..Berry is due a nice bit of coinage this year & it is highly possible with the recent signing of the Safety in Seattle that he thinks he can keep on getting that type of $$. KC can not or nor should they have that kind of $$ invested into a Safety. If Berry wants to go somewhere else then so be it... your a broken record Mongo a one trick pony. You complain yet have no answers except to have Berry do something he evidently has no inclination to do. You bitch about Fischer but offer no other player that  should of been picked previously. I will agree I think 2 2nd round picks is not what I would preferred but it is done...look towards the future Mongo. I think you needs to change your name to Chicken Little

That's why I used the term "so far" in regards to last year's draft.  But really, I've seen crap out of everyone from it but Fisher.  I wanted Star Lotuleilei or Ziggy Ansah in last year's draft and Branden Albert extended.  Of course you won't want to believe that, especially because had the Chiefs done that they would be in much better shape today.  I preferred Star.  I believed and still do that Dontari Poe should be "Ngata-fied" and played all over the line so his athletic ability could be used to create mismatches.

Then again, it really doesn't matter because that mistake has passed and I have moved on.

I haven't forgotten anything regarding negotiation.  By the same token, you paint Berry as being unreasonable and the poor Chiefs just can't get a deal done no matter how hard they try.  Bullshit.  

I really don't care why Berry isn't signed.  I want it done.  I really have a hard time believing that if Berry were offered a Jairus Byrd-like contract he would turn it down.  I'm not advocating going bat-shit Daniel Snyder crazy, but pay the man.  He's the only true playmaker the secondary has.  Some argue his value but he led all SS in INT and sacks.  The only other guys in his class are Kam Chancellor & TJ Ward, both of whom are locked up long term, and, by no mere coincedence, by the last two Super Bowl opponents.  Safety is not the "other secondary position" any more.

Your criticism of me for bitching without a solution is unfounded, unfair and wrong.  I didn't want Al at his cost.  I said at the time I'd have signed Ryan Fitzpatrick for free and kept my 2 R2, conceding that the Chiefs might not have won as many games but would be better poised for the future.  People like you were the ones who said the Chiefs had to win at all costs immediately lest they alienate the fickle fan base.  My claim was to build a future winner and the fans will come crawling back. 

Unfortunately, as a Chiefs fan, I've grown annoyingly accustomed to looking towards the future because they've done nothing in the recent past but screw the present up.  

I'm not Chicken Little.  I'm Captain Common Sense.  And you've done nothing to refute anything I've posted but to hurl insults and paint colorful bestiality analogies.  Reply when you have something of substance to add, please. 

Wow. Hasn't done anything... The personnel was in place?

I guess except for the QBs, the TEs, the starting RT, RG, LCB. FB, RILB and a hole slew of backups. In fact, I bet there more new players that old ones.

Are you seriously thinking that Romeo with the 2012 roster would have pulled out 11 wins last year? That is a stretch.

bestiality? .. your mind is in the gutter again

Capt Common Sense??.. you crack me up. Appreciate the giggle so far it has been a trying day.

Funny thing about Common Sense..everybody thinks they have it and it's just what they believe.

Archived