Interesting Marcus Cooper

Cardinals CB Marcus Cooper has been named NFC Defensive Player of the Week for Week 2.

Cooper was acquired via trade from the Chiefs at final cuts. After rookie CB Brandon Williams got abused in the Week 1 opener, Cooper played 65-of-80 defensive snaps against the Bucs and picked off two passes, returning one 60 yards for a touchdown. He also broke up three passes. Coach Bruce Arians said he'll go with the hot hand at cornerback opposite Patrick Peterson.

Obviously, you make trades to help your team and if the player you have won't help your team more than the compensation, you make the trade with exception of rules within the division, etc.

But I feel like in general if New England or Arizona or Green Bay come to you wanting to trade, unless you believe it is strictly for backup purposes, I would think more before I traded the player.

There are variables like system, scheme, etc. that might make the player perfect for the team you're trading to and look good, but would never do so inyour own system or you might just have someone much better and they don't. I'm just talking about the reputation of certain teams in evaluating talent makes me not want to trade with him.

Of course, Dorsey has and should have full confidence in his own evaluating and thus will have his own criteria and decision-making. There's also some possible gamesmanship or hidden factors when one is negotiating a trade.

I'm not talking about worrying about whether New England gets better, though that could be a factor if we are competing with them for playoff seed.

I thought Cooper was a very good athlete, and potentially a very good corner. He has looked good at times. So, if he turns out to be a good corner, it will not surprise me. He has that potential. The Chiefs are currently looking at the now. Dorsey believes he can make moves to get the Chiefs to the next level, where they can get into the AFC championship game, and hopefully a shot at going to the Super Bowl. Dorsey was trying to get a better player, so he made moves that basically turned out to be a trade. Kenneth Acker was acquired in trade with a conditional pick. The Chiefs turned around, and traded that pick to Arizona for that conditional pick. So, Arizona will get Cooper, but they will have to send SF a conditional pick. KC gets Acker in the process. So, although it was drawn out, it actually was a straight up trade (Cooper for Acker).

How is that trade going? I don't know. Acker has not played yet. He may be the better player. There is no way to know yet. It is too soon.

Cooper was drafted by San Francisco in 2013 with the 252nd pick. He is 6'2", and close to 200lbs. So, his size is ideal, and he ran a 4.45  40. He's fast enough, and his other marks at the combine indicate he is quite a goo athlete. Cooper dropped in the draft because he converted from WR, and did not have much successful experience at CB. The 49ers took a shot, and decided he wasn't CB material for them. They waived Cooper, and KC picked him up. Cooper did well at first, but he was picked apart by experienced quarterbacks, and Cooper rested on the bench the following two seasons.

Kenneth Acker was also a draft pick by San Francisco, this time in 2014 with their 180th pick. Acker weighs about the same, but is 2 inches shorter. Still 6 foot tall is the area most people feel is tall for a corner. Acker showed up large in preseason, and was thought of highly. However, before the season started, their doctors determined Acker to have a stress fracture to his foot, and he was placed on their IR, lost for the season. Acker played well in 2015, but lost his job to 4th round draft pick, Dontae Johnson. Acker had three interceptions, but Johnson was better. Finally, Acker is probably a better special teams player than Cooper.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump

Got torched for a 65 yd TD by some guy named Brian Quick

Damnit Dorsey!!!

name a DB that never got torched?..damn dude someone put STAG beer in your cheerios this morning or just mad that the Raiders won?. I must be getting old and mellowing some of you guys make me look like a ray of fucking sunshine in a field of Lavender.

Kept a third round pick on the roster that you cut a few weeks later. Not sure Dorsey is that great. Good Yes Great No way. Better than the guys before him...sure. 

In four years and hundreds of player transactions, you found a guy that had a couple good games after leaving the Chiefs, who only had a couple of good games whle playing for the Chiefs himself...yeah...Dorsey really dropped the ball on that one and is a terrible GM...lol

name a DB that never got torched?..damn dude someone put STAG beer in your cheerios this morning or just mad that the Raiders won?. I must be getting old and mellowing some of you guys make me look like a ray of fucking sunshine in a field of Lavender.

Yeah, I am so mad. So mad.

He got torched by a no name WR and did it in terrible fashion. It's a way to emphasize that he was never good.

Cooper sucks. They gave him tons of chances and he couldn't get it. Cooper is a great straight line runner, but he can't handle the quick, double moves at all. Sorta like Fleming was. Once he gets burned once, he stops turning his head around and the rest is history.

Cooper was traded for Kenneth Acker. Acker was traded to KC from SF. Cooper was traded to KC from AZ. AZ got SF's draft pick. So, for the Chiefs, it was a player trade, Acker for Cooper.

How is Kenneth Acker doing? Right now he's doing nothing. The change of place was good for Cooper. I always liked Cooper. I think it is clear he was just in the wrong system, and for now, he has benefited. It's too early to judge if this was a bad move for the Chiefs. Acker is two years younger, and was a higher draft pick.

Archived