Can anyone explain the offense to me?

Everyone seems to be complaining about our offense right now. But what needs to be changed? Oline looks good...so much better than we've had in a long time. Alex smith is himself. Ware is one of the top players from scrimmage in the league. TE corp loooking good, and we are seeing flashes from our WRs...but the points just aren't there...is it bad playcalling, execution, or something else that I'm totally missing?

The oline is not better than it has been in a long time.  The tackle and center play is fine, but the guards are lacking, other than LDT, who has only played one game.

The playcalling is sometimes suspect, and the execution is not flawless.  They played a much better game against NY, but there were a few misses. 

I don't even count the Houston game, as it was very sloppy with all of the penalties and turnovers.

On to Pittsburgh!

Given the lead, I was fine with them moving the ball the way they did and how long it took... But just like we were great at stopping them in the red zone, the Jets defense is good, too at that - 1st or second in the league since 2013 or 2014. Difference is, they forced it against our defense, we didn't against theirs.

Having said that, of course, I want them to do better in the red zone. We need more variety of play calls down there as it seems like we are always passing short of the end zone in the first part of the season. Towards the end of the season last year, Smith had a lot of throws into the end zone and some of them connected, even in double or triple coverage.

Whatever year it seems like we start out with passes short of the end zone and I don't know if that is the play call or what. Most of the times that I have seen Smith miss a receiver for a would've been touchdown, it was outside of the red zone. Not always, but it seems like it. Recently, whenever we get within the 3 yard line, we run it two or three times and kick a field goal. I'm not saying we should pass the ball, but maybe the defenses know what we are going to do?

Everyone seems to be complaining about our offense right now. But what needs to be changed? Oline looks good...so much better than we've had in a long time. Alex smith is himself. Ware is one of the top players from scrimmage in the league. TE corp loooking good, and we are seeing flashes from our WRs...but the points just aren't there...is it bad playcalling, execution, or something else that I'm totally missing?

Everything is coming down to timing: Penalties at the wrong time, missed protections at the wrong time, drops at the wrong time. Would-be scoring drives are getting killed; there haven't been a lot of three-and-outs.

Some blame goes to the fans as well: A lot of them don't recognize what a quality offense looks like when it goes against a quality defense. They imagine that quality offenses always put up 40 points a game (they don't, and never have).

The Chiefs are 2-1, and in both wins the Chiefs' offense outscored the opponent's team. The Chiefs will now go on the road against Pittsburgh, reach their bye week, and then go on the road against Oakland. They are at present one of 15 NFL teams with a winning record, and only two winning teams in the league have played a tougher schedule (the Steelers and the Texans). Only three winning teams have a better Strength of Victory (Patriots, Vikings, and Rams), so the Chiefs aren't playing against or beating softies. After week 6, the Chiefs Strength of Schedule is 15-18, and the combined record among their seven non-AFC West opponents during that time is 6-15.

I'd like to see the Chiefs' offensive line get healthy. Once again, the Chiefs are starting backups early in the season, and it's had a negative effect on the offense. Perhaps Ehinger and Duvernay-Tardif can get back on the field this next Sunday. Or perhaps it's better for both of them to stay sidelined until after the bye. In any case, I don't think the game in Pittsburgh is an auto-loss on account of the offense. The Texans rank fifth in the league in yards allowed, while the Jets rank 14th. The Steelers rank 27th. The Steelers also rank 19th in scoring. It will be a competitive matchup that the Steelers will be favored in because they are playing at home and bettors love Ben Roethlisberger.

Given the lead, I was fine with them moving the ball the way they did and how long it took... But just like we were great at stopping them in the red zone, the Jets defense is good, too at that - 1st or second in the league since 2013 or 2014. Difference is, they forced it against our defense, we didn't against theirs.

Having said that, of course, I want them to do better in the red zone. We need more variety of play calls down there as it seems like we are always passing short of the end zone in the first part of the season. Towards the end of the season last year, Smith had a lot of throws into the end zone and some of them connected, even in double or triple coverage.

Whatever year it seems like we start out with passes short of the end zone and I don't know if that is the play call or what. Most of the times that I have seen Smith miss a receiver for a would've been touchdown, it was outside of the red zone. Not always, but it seems like it. Recently, whenever we get within the 3 yard line, we run it two or three times and kick a field goal. I'm not saying we should pass the ball, but maybe the defenses know what we are going to do?

Yeah, I would like to see more shots to the endzone, too.  Kelce and Harris are both good at high pointing the ball.  Take a chance.

Everything is coming down to timing: Penalties at the wrong time, missed protections at the wrong time, drops at the wrong time. Would-be scoring drives are getting killed; there haven't been a lot of three-and-outs.

Some blame goes to the fans as well: A lot of them don't recognize what a quality offense looks like when it goes against a quality defense. They imagine that quality offenses always put up 40 points a game (they don't, and never have).

The Chiefs are 2-1, and in both wins the Chiefs' offense outscored the opponent's team. The Chiefs will now go on the road against Pittsburgh, reach their bye week, and then go on the road against Oakland. They are at present one of 15 NFL teams with a winning record, and only two winning teams in the league have played a tougher schedule (the Steelers and the Texans). Only three winning teams have a better Strength of Victory (Patriots, Vikings, and Rams), so the Chiefs aren't playing against or beating softies. After week 6, the Chiefs Strength of Schedule is 15-18, and the combined record among their seven non-AFC West opponents during that time is 6-15.

I'd like to see the Chiefs' offensive line get healthy. Once again, the Chiefs are starting backups early in the season, and it's had a negative effect on the offense. Perhaps Ehinger and Duvernay-Tardif can get back on the field this next Sunday. Or perhaps it's better for both of them to stay sidelined until after the bye. In any case, I don't think the game in Pittsburgh is an auto-loss on account of the offense. The Texans rank fifth in the league in yards allowed, while the Jets rank 14th. The Steelers rank 27th. The Steelers also rank 19th in scoring. It will be a competitive matchup that the Steelers will be favored in because they are playing at home and bettors love Ben Roethlisberger.

I don't see Pitt as an auto-loss either.  They were pretty much dominated last week.  Lots of good film for KC to review.

This is why I hate the Houston game so much. They are a good defense, but I think we could've beaten them and 3-0 would feel so much better than 2-1, though I do appreciate us doing what we've done against the schedule. If we can beat the Steelers, my mind will switch to beating Houston and losing to the Steelers. All will be right in the world and we'd have the tiebreaker against the Steelers anyway. If we lose to the Steelers, which I feel is likely, then I will still hate that Houston game.

What am I saying? I will always hate that Houston game because it'll always be a game we should've won even if Houston has a good defense. If we were to beat the Steelers, I would still say that 4-0 would feel better than 3-1.

Aaaargh!

Chiefs Offense so far in 2016....

-Line has a hard time due to a lack of continuity and 2nd tear players substituting in and out.

-QB is inaccurate on passes over 20 yds down the field ( he makes about 50% of these throws which is not good enough)

-Play calling is spotty as we tend to try to fool people in situations where "fooling" is not required.

-RB's look good until key moments, then they fumble randomly.

Just My Opinion....

They will get it together, but so far- its ugly

w

Chiefs Offense so far in 2016....

-Line has a hard time due to a lack of continuity and 2nd tear players substituting in and out.

-QB is inaccurate on passes over 20 yds down the field ( he makes about 50% of these throws which is not good enough)

-Play calling is spotty as we tend to try to fool people in situations where "fooling" is not required.

-RB's look good until key moments, then they fumble randomly.

Just My Opinion....

They will get it together, but so far- its ugly

w

The pass to Conley was ugly and he lead Hill out of bounds on the sideline. I did think that the passes to Maclin were much better even though one of them was a good defensive play. When we do not attempt that many deep passes, we need to connect on them.

I would give Maclin the benefit of the doubt. Smith has not shown to be good at these type of passes, but I will say this for any quarterback, it bugs me that a lot of people will gauge on whether a pass is accurate or not based upon where the receiver ran. There are two moving parts plus the ball and some duos show good chemistry and there are quarterbacks that are better at these type of passes.

Let's hope the oline gets back to healthy, Smith attempts more of these passes, and we connect on a few of them. It's not going to be a staple of our offense but we should call it, attempt it, and connect. We need 11 guys.

You don't really think that the league's best quarterbacks complete 50% of such pass attempts, do you? It takes top-tier pass protection and quality receiving targets to sniff 50%. Then again, I'm not sure that Smith has managed better than a 40% completion rate on targets 20 yards or more from scrimmage (not adjusted for drops).

The timing is off. This offense relies on back shoulder and timing passes, and that requires the receivers to be in the right spot as well as the qb. It looks as if the learning curve is still off.

when timing patterns work, they are almost impossible to stop. We saw some of this on display during the comeback win on game one.

As long as the team stays healthy, they should be much better at the end of the season.

I like the play calling. I just think the execution is bad right now.

From last year to this it seems like the Chiefs offense is trying to change their identity and become a more prolific offense that is not so run heavy and gets more people involved and it has led to some growing pains. I think they realize after last years exit from the playoffs that if injuries take away some key cogs, like Ware and Maclin were out in the Patriots game, that they must have a more balanced attack in place to overcome that. That's how I see it.

We are 28th in the league in sacks allowed. We are 28th in the league in sacking the other teams QB. This in a nut shell is why we are not as good as we should be.

We have had heavily injured on the Oline which contribute. This should get better. But getting sacks is another story. We are going to have to try Jones and Dady and see if that helps. Hali is working hard, but he has no help.

You don't really think that the league's best quarterbacks complete 50% of such pass attempts, do you? It takes top-tier pass protection and quality receiving targets to sniff 50%. Then again, I'm not sure that Smith has managed better than a 40% completion rate on targets 20 yards or more from scrimmage (not adjusted for drops).

I'm not one to usually bash or defend Alex but I will at least put this out there.

I looked at the splits from last year and guys like Ben, Brady and Rivers were right around 40 pct of completion pct of passes over 20 yds. Those were random guys that people generally think are good QBs with good down the field accuracy. Alex is at 33. Kind of hard to know if he doesn't do down the field as much as those guys either. Ben and Brady each attempted around 60 passes over 20 Alex did around 35 but had 150 less total attempts for the year than those guys. Rivers had around 40 over 20. Passes between 11-20 yards he was on par with those guys pct wise.

One thing is for sure probably around 80 pct of pass attempts happen within 10yds.

If we played the Texans 5 times, I bet we beat them at least 3 times.

I went back and watched the Jets game, and one of the main reasons Fitz threw so many picks was because there was actually pressure coming right up the middle. 4 of the six picks, Fitz had Poe/Howard in his face. Once Hali was bearing down on him.

So if Fitz didn't throw the picks, we probably would've had about 5 sacks.

If we bring that same intensity to Pitt, I'm pretty sure Big Ben will take the sacks vs. the int's.

I agree the offense looks bad, but I think that's because of the oline. Once that oline is back to healthy, I think the offense will look like they did in the Charger game, every week.

Plus, JC will be returning soon and hopefully we'll all see MOAR Tyreek!!

The offense looks fine. They have multiple targets and really showed that the first and third game of the season. The offense should have scored 17 points against the Jets, but the Ware touchdown was taken away. 

They have three solid targets at the TE position including Kelce, Harris, and now this Travis character. I'd like to see what Travis can do with the ball in the open field and D. Harris flashed a little speed on that fumble return

Maclin and Conley are also sure catchers going forward. Let's not forget Tyreek Hill, who is the next Hester/Dante Hall, except stronger

With so many targets, it's natural for them to giddy up through the beginning of the season. Once they find their rhythm and the offensive line gets healthy, look out

I went back and watched the Jets game, and one of the main reasons Fitz threw so many picks was because there was actually pressure coming right up the middle. 4 of the six picks, Fitz had Poe/Howard in his face. Once Hali was bearing down on him.

So if Fitz didn't throw the picks, we probably would've had about 5 sacks.

Historically, Fitzpatrick gives up about two turnovers for every three sacks he takes. In 2011 he threw more interceptions than he took sacks. I don't know why he's so sack averse, but the interceptions he throws to avoid the sacks are more damaging.

oline sucks year four and oline has pathetic depth. Same Problem 4 years running. Dorsey is average. Compared to past gm he is much better. Compared to Elway he is very average. He is predictable. Top pick is used to replace a current star heading to free agency.

With DeVito retiring I'm glad they drafted Jones. With Sean Smith wanting too much money for a 29 year old CB I'm glad they drafted Peters. With there always being a need for pass rushers with a great first step I can't say I'm glad they drafted Dee Ford who might be a bust so far. With Branden Albert wanting too much money and being oft injured I'm glad Eric Fisher was drafted. I see your point to a degree Fanatic but.. there's a reason for these choices as far as I can see.

With DeVito retiring I'm glad they drafted Jones. With Sean Smith wanting too much money for a 29 year old CB I'm glad they drafted Peters. With there always being a need for pass rushers with a great first step I can't say I'm glad they drafted Dee Ford who might be a bust so far. With Branden Albert wanting too much money and being oft injured I'm glad Eric Fisher was drafted. I see your point to a degree Fanatic but.. there's a reason for these choices as far as I can see.

Chris Jones, was manhandling kids last night. Too bad it didn't show up on the stat-sheet. 

Last night was on Alex Smith and Reid. I'm sorry, but if you put up 0 points for 3 straight quarters, that's a problem on the QB added with an atrocious gameplan from Reid. That was the most conservative playcalling I've seen on National television.This guy is supposed to be an offensive genius and we get this? Thank goodness we have last season to look at to retain hope

Archived