Who's the culprit??

Glad you watched it. Pretty damn eye-opening.

Here are the thread titles for those of you that want to watch more:

Alex Smith: Chiefs' offensive strategy will look much different this year (I believe page 5 or 6 onward)

Alex missing reads (whole thread has gifs and still frames)

I already knew. I knew before he came. I warned everyone here.

Regardless of what you think of Harbaugh (I think he's a douche), he has been very successful everywhere he's been. I think he knows a little about talent. He chose Kaepernick over Smith. Why?

And now Kaepernick's on the bench. And his apologists claim that it has everything to do with politics (those of the front office as well as Kaepernick's own controversial political views), and nothing to do with his actual ability as a football player. Meanwhile, Kaepernick remains benched, and was reportedly a trade target only at the expense of a fifth-round draft pick. Therefore, an entire league seems to have an opinion different from that of the head coach that elevated him. And that one head coach? No longer in the NFL.

Harbaugh is a great head coach capable of getting the best out of the available talent. Harbaugh's decision to promote Kaepernick? A franchise-altering move that ultimately led to his firing, the hiring and subsequent firing of the next coach, and the hiring of a head coach who is leading a team presently 1-4, and would likely be 0-5 if Kaepernick was the one playing. Great coaches can make terrible decisions. Kaepernick is not a starting caliber quarterback, and everyone in the league knows it. Most people out of the league know it too. Others are just playing catch up.

And now Kaepernick's on the bench. And his apologists claim that it has everything to do with politics (those of the front office as well as Kaepernick's own controversial political views), and nothing to do with his actual ability as a football player. Meanwhile, Kaepernick remains benched, and was reportedly a trade target only at the expense of a fifth-round draft pick. Therefore, an entire league seems to have an opinion different from that of the head coach that elevated him. And that one head coach? No longer in the NFL.

Harbaugh is a great head coach capable of getting the best out of the available talent. Harbaugh's decision to promote Kaepernick? A franchise-altering move that ultimately led to his firing, the hiring and subsequent firing of the next coach, and the hiring of a head coach who is leading a team presently 1-4, and would likely be 0-5 if Kaepernick was the one playing. Great coaches can make terrible decisions. Kaepernick is not a starting caliber quarterback, and everyone in the league knows it. Most people out of the league know it too. Others are just playing catch up.

We all know Kaepernick sucks and I can't imagine the dislike you have for him. My question was why did Harbaugh go with Kap and ditch Alex? Did he give any reasons at the time?

We all know Kaepernick sucks and I can't imagine the dislike you have for him. My question was why did Harbaugh go with Kap and ditch Alex? Did he give any reasons at the time?

He said he was going with the hot hand but ignored that Smith was 24 for 25 for 300 yards and three/four touchdowns in the game and a quarter before his injury.

The game after the switch, Kaepernick fumbled in the end zone to lose the game when they could have just gone to overtime or go for the field-goal later. But that did not cool the hand, so that was obviously a false reason.

Alex Smith is the product of the circumstances he came into as a result of the dysfunction of the 49ers. Multiple head coach changes, and even more Offensive coordinators with vastly differing offensive schemes, Smith survived by becoming resilient, but he also became wary.

Sometimes the exuberance of a rookie can overcome the odds, whereas an old pro, haunted by experience becomes limited.

I hoped Smith could be different. Joey Harrington was a top pick, who was ruined by a new team that did not protect him. He moved around after his initial team, but was never able to escape the ghosts.

Smith sees ghosts. He no longer finds the open receiver. His eyes fixed, sees only half the field. Instead of moving into a well protected pocket, Smith scrambles into danger. On the run, Smith is less accurate, but he seems to be more willing to go that route. The ghosts of the past are calling. instead of the young player in the past, willing to dare fate, Smith no longer dares to stay in the pocket. He cuts the field in half, and the sidelines become a defender.

This may be all we have got. Smith may be no better. In his 12th season, the 32 year old may not be another Steve Young or Jim Plunkett. Not too many are. Most cannot overcome the ghosts. They become more of what kills their career. They lose their innocence.

Alex Smith is the product of the circumstances he came into as a result of the dysfunction of the 49ers. Multiple head coach changes, and even more Offensive coordinators with vastly differing offensive schemes, Smith survived by becoming resilient, but he also became wary.

Sometimes the exuberance of a rookie can overcome the odds, whereas an old pro, haunted by experience becomes limited.

I hoped Smith could be different. Joey Harrington was a top pick, who was ruined by a new team that did not protect him. He moved around after his initial team, but was never able to escape the ghosts.

Smith sees ghosts. He no longer finds the open receiver. His eyes fixed, sees only half the field. Instead of moving into a well protected pocket, Smith scrambles into danger. On the run, Smith is less accurate, but he seems to be more willing to go that route. The ghosts of the past are calling. instead of the young player in the past, willing to dare fate, Smith no longer dares to stay in the pocket. He cuts the field in half, and the sidelines become a defender.

This may be all we have got. Smith may be no better. In his 12th season, the 32 year old may not be another Steve Young or Jim Plunkett. Not too many are. Most cannot overcome the ghosts. They become more of what kills their career. They lose their innocence.

Archived