Chiefs-Raiders

What the hell happened to this group? All the naysayers and doubters rolled out with their predictions of doom and gloom. In rainy, sloppy conditions Alex Smith carved the horrible (not mediocre) Oakland defense. Spencer Ware ran over their asses and Dee Ford made his (Punxsutawney Phil like) annual appearance....and the Chiefs ripped the Raiders.

Guys, listen to me. The Raiders were not as good a team as their 4-1 record. Jack rolled the dice in New Orleans and got lucky. Raiders could have just as easily lost that gamble. San Diego botched a chip shot field goal attempt late to hand the Raiders that game.They barely beat a bad Titans team and they beat the Ravens by 1 point. They could easily be 0-6 except a lot of things fell their way. Yes they have some good offensive weapons. But they also have a disaster of a defense led by an "I don't know what I'm doing" coach in Ken Norton Jr. And frankly, although Jack Del Rio is cocky and has the balls to take chances....he really is not even close to being the X's and O's coach Andy Reid is.

On the flip side.... The Chiefs aren't as bad as the team that got their butts handed to them by Pittsburgh. They key element in both Chief losses this year were turnovers. The offense hasn't even found it's rhythm yet. I believe they will. The defense will get a great boost when Houston comes back. Gaines is my biggest concern. Starting to look like one of those always hurt type guys. 

Chiefs are in good shape. I think they can win the next 3. Probably lose to Carolina which would put them at 6-3. Denver? I'm not gonna concede that as a loss just yet. Denver is looking very beatable. The Falcons is likely a loss. But then they end with 3 home games (all winnable) and the Chargers on the road. I'm still think 10-6. Maybe 11-5. I still believe this is a talented football team.

If the backwards pass to Poe were caught by the Raiders, would that be an interception or a fumble. I think it is an interception, but I think that if it is an interception, that should be called a pass. I know the rules, a lateral or backwards pass is a rush, but I don't like the risk of an interception but no benefit of a passing touchdown.

By the way, the Niners use a handoff where the quarterback tosses it 6 inches and gets credit for the pass. They did that three or four times in the game and at least the first two went for 10+ yards. The receiver runs from the right or left and runs in between the line and the quarterback and the quarterback simply pops it 6 inches.

Both should be rushes or both should be passes, in my opinion even though I know by rule it isn't. I know that you might have a higher chance of fumbling the ball if you pop it up 6 inches, but that would be a fumble and not an interception or it would be an incomplete pass.

Loopholes! ;) Strategy and stat padding.

The pass Poe caught was a lateral. It is the same as if the ball were handed off.

If Poe had muffed the toss, and a Raider picked up the ball, it could have been returned for a touchdown, the other way. It was a risky play. Either they have tremendous trust in Poe, or Reid was foolish. The way Poe caught the ball (with his hands, not his body), and the way Poe tucked the ball away, before running it in, makes me believe Reid was not foolish.

Poe is going to get a huge contract. He is probably being under-utilized in this defense.

I think the Poe TD was a botched play that turned out okay.  No way was that intended to be a lateral.  Either Poe shifted too deep or Smith needed to step back before throwing.  Probably, in the interest of getting the play off before OAK could react, Smith rushed it but Poe could have just misjudged his relationship to Smith's depth.  The Chiefs got lucky.  Maybe's it only a 10% chance that Poe doesn't catch the ball cleanly, but the downside was enormous.  I'm one that's a little tired of Reid's gadget plays in the red zone.  If the Chiefs truly have a top run game, then use it to score from the two.  If Poe is a viable option to punch it from close in, then hand him the ball and let him punch or leap.  People around me at the Jets game thought I was having a heart attack when they started passing on first and goal from the three.  Lunacy.

The pass Poe caught was a lateral. It is the same as if the ball were handed off.

If Poe had muffed the toss, and a Raider picked up the ball, it could have been returned for a touchdown, the other way. It was a risky play. Either they have tremendous trust in Poe, or Reid was foolish. The way Poe caught the ball (with his hands, not his body), and the way Poe tucked the ball away, before running it in, makes me believe Reid was not foolish.

Poe is going to get a huge contract. He is probably being under-utilized in this defense.

If Poe botched the play but it was caught before it hit the ground, it would still be a fumble, right? If he botched the play and it landed on the ground, it would obviously be a fumble. I'm just not clear on the fact of it being caught by a defender because it was a backwards pass.

(But if he dropped a forward pass obviously it would be incomplete.)

Archived