Chiefs linebacker Dee Ford: ‘I need more production

Dee Ford had a good game. He was matched up against a player, who is big, but not able to move. So, Dee Ford's speed was difficult to handle. He may have had his best game.

The Chiefs will benefit most with the return of Justin Houston. If he is back to his old self, it will be difficult for teams to handle his edge rush, and ability to stop the run. The Chiefs face the Saints, Colts, and Jags (in that order). With two wins of the three, the Chiefs will set up their final push to win their division, and perhaps a little more.

Ford is improving.....Edge rushers are always at a premium.

w

I hope he has, but want to wait before making that pronouncement. His best games were against Oakland and San Diego (last year). He went against large, slow, cumbersome, RTs in both games. The SD RT was taken off the streets before the game, because they were so decimated by injuries.

Let him do this against a better RT, and then I will start to give him the acknowledgement.

He was unable to do this against 2s and 3s in preseason. So I agree with West that he is improving. Will he get there? TDB. I am still a doubter, but you can't know this defense. They played a great game against a very good offense.

Agree.  Just because Ford made a couple of plays then the whole world knew Carr was going to be dropping back doesn't mean he's starting to earn his position.  At the same time, he's not the first player that took longer to develop than impatient fans would like.  I remember when DJ was benched after a few seasons.  Either way, the Chiefs will have to give priority to LB, both inside and outside, next draft.

I will give him some credit. His coverage skills are pretty good. For the second time I saw him run step for step with a RB to cover a touchdown pass. I also saw some inside moves in the pass rush. One in particular he cut inside and kept his footing cutting back to chase Carr out of bounds. It was not a sack, but pretty impressive on that mucky surface.

Ford is improving.....Edge rushers are always at a premium.

w

My son knows Dee Ford.  At least every week he comes by the music store where my son works and drops money on equipment he doesn't really need and which has absolutely nothing to do with football.  It is Ford's hobby.  Dee Ford spends his money there like he is some kind of star.  Obviously, his mind is on other things, not football. For him, football may be just another hobby. That's how it seems. One thing my son says about him unequivocally is that he is a great guy, very nice, affable, the kind of person you want as a friend. But this is not what the Chiefs need from a first rounder.   His words are telling.  If he had said "I need to work harder to be more productive," it would have been acceptable and maybe even encouraging.  But he speaks of his lack of production like he is some kind of spectator.  That is not the right mindset for a first round NFL player. And that is how he plays.  He is passively waiting for himself to improve, as though it is an inevitable result of time rather than hard work.  I don't believe that sort of thing can be fixed, so I am ready to call him a bust as a first round pick.  He may be a great success as a human being, which in the long run is more important.  But the NFL expects single-minded, workaholic, obsessed gladiators, and that is why they pay these guys the kind of money they do.  Friend the guy on Facebook but trade him to another team.

I agree. The one thing I heard Dee Ford say that made me disbelieve in the guy is this: last season when BJ Kissler asked him the question if he realized that the Chiefs haven't won a playoff game in over two decades, he responded with, "yeah, I heard about that.." and then continued with something unmotivating.

I'm sorry, but this just struck me very poorly. I want this guy to know where he's at and who he plays for and become apart of that. I don't want him to act like he's there just because he's there. I doubt he'll change into the football leader he was drafted to be, like Houston and Hali, and become a Chief at heart and not at skin

My son knows Dee Ford. At least every week he comes by the music store where my son works and drops money on equipment he doesn't really need and which has absolutely nothing to do with football. It is Ford's hobby. Dee Ford spends his money there like he is some kind of star. Obviously, his mind is on other things, not football. For him, football may be just another hobby. That's how it seems. One thing my son says about him unequivocally is that he is a great guy, very nice, affable, the kind of person you want as a friend. But this is not what the Chiefs need from a first rounder. His words are telling. If he had said "I need to work harder to be more productive," it would have been acceptable and maybe even encouraging. But he speaks of his lack of production like he is some kind of spectator. That is not the right mindset for a first round NFL player. And that is how he plays. He is passively waiting for himself to improve, as though it is an inevitable result of time rather than hard work. I don't believe that sort of thing can be fixed, so I am ready to call him a bust as a first round pick. He may be a great success as a human being, which in the long run is more important. But the NFL expects single-minded, workaholic, obsessed gladiators, and that is why they pay these guys the kind of money they do. Friend the guy on Facebook but trade him to another team.

Buying music equipment makes him not dedicated ? I think that is far fetched.

Buying music equipment makes him not dedicated ? I think that is far fetched.

maybe dedicated is not the right term..how about Football Motivated. I knew a guy that played O-Line at Notre Dame..recruited by every power house  DIV1 school in the country...and he played during the late 80-s-early 90's under Lou Holtz. He used his football & ND to open other doors in the music business had no desire to play Pro. Ford could be doing the very same thing..using his Football to open doors and pay for his real passion namely music.. Bil's thoughts hold water..I've seen it happen

Archived