Chiefs linebacker Dee Ford: ‘I need more production

There are 8760 hours each year. Surely, Ford can spend a few of those on music. Ford didn't meet requirements. If he had played at an acceptable level, you would never think of this. Ford may be turning things around. I doubt it, but let's hope.

Jamaal Charles was into music, and did volunteer DJ work, before turning his life over to Christ, and concentrating on family. He did pretty good.

Buying music equipment makes him not dedicated ? I think that is far fetched.

I know just a few pro athletes but those have hobbies outside their sport.  One told me that many top baseball players are passionate golfers, hunters, or fishermen.  Assuming they spend the time to stay in shape and have their minds on the game and practices, I don't see what's wrong with having a side interest.  If that interest is taking away from their sport, then that's a problem.  Is there any evidence that Ford is putting his music ahead of football?

I know just a few pro athletes but those have hobbies outside their sport.  One told me that many top baseball players are passionate golfers, hunters, or fishermen.  Assuming they spend the time to stay in shape and have their minds on the game and practices, I don't see what's wrong with having a side interest.  If that interest is taking away from their sport, then that's a problem.  Is there any evidence that Ford is putting his music ahead of football?

his performance or lack there of is evidence that something is wrong..either where Ford's head is at or Dorsey's

maybe dedicated is not the right term..how about Football Motivated. I knew a guy that played O-Line at Notre Dame..recruited by every power house DIV1 school in the country...and he played during the late 80-s-early 90's under Lou Holtz. He used his football & ND to open other doors in the music business had no desire to play Pro. Ford could be doing the very same thing..using his Football to open doors and pay for his real passion namely music.. Bil's thoughts hold water..I've seen it happen

I get what you and Bil are saying. It's not about the time he puts into something its where his passion is at. Is it football or something else.

I do wanna see what he looks like when Houston gets back on the field though.

Buying music equipment makes him not dedicated ? I think that is far fetched.

Not what I intended to mean.  I think OT understands.  He comes in all the time and lays down big, big bucks for instruments and expresses passion for it.  During the middle of the week, why is he not in the film room or weight room? He obviously loves his music.  So do i.  And he is a great guy and probably plays music well.  But he has only five or eight years to play football at a #1 pick level and justify all the bucks.  He has his whole life to play music.  I think it is telling.  Other players are workout monsters and study film all week and learn assignments.  But I just mentioned that to show his laid back, happy-go-lucky mindset.  When an NFL player says, "I need more production," it is like saying, "I need to have more energy," or "I need to do better on my chemistry exams."  Nope.  You have to work for both, not wait for it to happen. "I need more production??"  It is like me saying, "I need to breathe more air."  He plays an extreme sport against giant, fast, and aggressive men.  To do that at the level of a number 1 draft pick, he needs to make it happen, not wait for it to happen.  It just seems to be the mindset of a different kind of person than the job calls for.  It sounds more like a novelist who is waiting for an inspiration for his next book.  I would love to hang out with the guy.  Unfortunately, I would also like to play against him.

I know just a few pro athletes but those have hobbies outside their sport. One told me that many top baseball players are passionate golfers, hunters, or fishermen. Assuming they spend the time to stay in shape and have their minds on the game and practices, I don't see what's wrong with having a side interest. If that interest is taking away from their sport, then that's a problem. Is there any evidence that Ford is putting his music ahead of football?

Yes, there is nothing wrong with having a side interest and in some fields, you can have a lot of interest on the side and still be OK. I could pass high school and college without really trying, but if I wanted to get into law school and do well, I needed to put them to the side.

Some people are so good that they did not need as much time and preparation and they have an actual benefit from getting away from football when is the right time to do so. All these athletes are human beings and they would go crazy if it was hundred percent football all the time.

When you're not performing, you have as much leeway in your time spent as one who wants to go to medical school but is not a natural in sciences. Sure, the nerd that sits next to you might be able to play Game of Thrones all day and pass his classes with an A, and you may in fact pass with better than a C minus without trying, but you need to know where you are and put in the dedicated time for it.

Sometimes you can put all the hard work in the world and you still aren't good enough, but that doesn't mean that you could afford time for other interests. It's all relative. Sometimes all the time in the world isn't worth your sacrifice of other interests. Sometimes your effort in one thing opens doors for other interests that are more fruitful. Sometimes you know this ahead of time and sometimes you don't.

No matter where he is at, I hope he is trying hard when he is here and he figures out how often he needs to be here. I want to say here, I mean mentally, too.

Barry Sanders was great but he had figured out what was important to him and that was getting the right contract at the end and so he retired when he could've broken the records. I've seen a lot of football players he'll probably could stay on the roster, whether they start or not, quit because they have more important things.

I do think when you were on a roster, you should earn your rent. There might be evidence that Ford will never be worth his pick, but I believe he could earn his rent.

Just my opinion, but I think we are being a tad bit judgemental on Mr. Ford.

If Mr. Ford enjoys music and spends plenty of time on this as his passion, what is the issue?

Answer: Its only an issue if it is taking time and energy away from his stated profession-pro football.

Think about it: Ford could be doing far, far worse things with his free time.

I know plenty of VERY successful people who work extremely long hours and tons of travel.  They also love fast cars or planes or night clubs....and they go at that "passion" just as hard.

Why not give Mr Ford a break on his personal life and a bit more time to develop as a player.

I recall a few here who wrote off DJ, Fisher, Smith....all the way back to Willie Roaf is washed up, why the hell did we trade for that guy...

w

These are all good and reasonable comments.  I certainly hope that his words making productivity seem like a passive occurrence rather than something achieved through hard work were simply mis-stated by him.  As for his music, I was a performing musician for 45 years and got paid for it, including during 40 years as a pathologist.  ,Obviously, I love music and have been involved in it at a professional level.  But my actual bread-winning job was looking at tissues through a microscope and making diagnoses.  It wasn't playing an often violent contact sport with complex strategy and intricate physical execution, all against giant, fast, and aggressive human beings. Maclin brought Conley in to work personally with him over the winter to make him a better receiver.  Conley went, worked with Maclin and was not paid for it.  Guys who want to justify being a high draft choice will spend most of their free time working on their craft. Especially when they have only 5-10 years to earn their money before retiring.  I sure don't begrudge him for loving music and spending a thousand dollars per week on new equipment, but I would like to see him perform better in his third year, that's all.  I could be wrong. But you all make good points, especially the comment about Jamaal Charles.

These are all good and reasonable comments.  I certainly hope that his words making productivity seem like a passive occurrence rather than something achieved through hard work were simply mis-stated by him.  As for his music, I was a performing musician for 45 years and got paid for it, including during 40 years as a pathologist.  ,Obviously, I love music and have been involved in it at a professional level.  But my actual bread-winning job was looking at tissues through a microscope and making diagnoses.  It wasn't playing an often violent contact sport with complex strategy and intricate physical execution, all against giant, fast, and aggressive human beings. Maclin brought Conley in to work personally with him over the winter to make him a better receiver.  Conley went, worked with Maclin and was not paid for it.  Guys who want to justify being a high draft choice will spend most of their free time working on their craft. Especially when they have only 5-10 years to earn their money before retiring.  I sure don't begrudge him for loving music and spending a thousand dollars per week on new equipment, but I would like to see him perform better in his third year, that's all.  I could be wrong. But you all make good points, especially the comment about Jamaal Charles.

Dont cave in Bil we  were giving Ryan Simms " time to develop" its ok to say that as a high #1 pick he's a bust..probably a bargain in the 6th round tho. I wish him well in his musical future.. For the record Ford is my new Pissing Post

I found video of Bilyous dancing. His profile pic is from decades ago. OldTimer is the one in the beard in the background. And the guy who comes in late is West.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogrD7ulSqyg

My God, how did you find that?  You know, I turned 69 on Sunday, the day we beat the Raiders.

I have waited all my life to be this age.

I get what Bil is saying. Ford plays piano, and other instruments. His passion may not be football. If he had consistently torn through the league, and had 8 or more sacks each season, this would never be a concern.

My dad was transfixed on becoming a doctor. He paid his own way through school. First, he got a 2 year business degree. He took accounting, and business because it was important to have something. He had a family, and did not have the luxury of having his bills paid by someone else. He went to Purdue, and turned down a full scholarship in Engineering to get a degree in Pharmacy. His goal was to become a doctor, but he had to take baby steps. Currently, Pharmacists make pretty good wages, but when he graduated Purdue, he made barely above minimum wage to work at a Hooks drug store. He was accepted to IU before graduating, so he had to take extra classes in the summer just to get the BS in Pharmacy to enter IU in the spring. He took a full year in German, and a class in Latin. That summer, he also worked at various county and state fairs, cooking fish for a guy named Gus. He sold Cutco cutlery too. It was his passion to continue working for a medical degree, so he stuck it out.

During the Spring, we moved into the basement of a house in Danville, Indiana. There he came to see us on the weekends. He slept in a boarding house with no heat, during the week, went to medical school during the day, and worked 40 hours at Hooks drug store in the evenings. I was 2, my older sister was 4, and Mom was pregnant with child #3.

His was the second class to move to the Indianapolis campus, and we lived in a low income student housing village, that was lovingly nicknamed cockroach villas. My baby sister was born. My dad worked at a  Hooks in Plainfield, Indiana, went to school, and headed up a study to determine the relationship between the pancreas and diabetes. He was introduced to a graduate student, who was working on understanding DNA. Finally, dad graduated number 2 in a class of 250.

We moved to another slum. This time we lived in South Bend, Indiana. Dad was a resident doctor, and interned at Gary, Indiana. He lived there 24/7. We saw him infrequently. At that time, they believed in working the doctors to the breaking point, and discouraging sleep. Somehow he made it, and my mother gave birth to her forth child.

After all of that, you would expect my dad would be racking in the money, and on easy street. Instead, he worked as a country doctor in his home town. As long as I knew him, he worked 80 hours per week. He did house calls in the country. He left the house at 6:30 AM, came home for lunch at noon, and got home in time for dinner at 6:30. Often, he went back to the hospital until late at night. When he was home, he sat in a blue chair, listened to medical recordings on a reel to reel player, and completed studies to test his knowledge. He worked Sunday morning, went to church, came home for dinner, and went back to the hospital. He had Wednesdays off, but often went into the hospital. Mom, and Dad went to medical meetings together. Instead of using it as a time to vacation, both of them took every possible class, and studied until late.

The point is... I know what it means to be dedicated to something. So, while it is normal to put in the required hours, and do what you want to fill the time, I know there is a difference. Larry Bird, who was a friend of my dad's was the kind of guy who never put it down. He shared a passion, just as my dad. So, when the Celtics came to town, my dad often traded with the Pacer's doctor, and sat on the bench. Afterwards, Larry sought out my dad. They went to a bar, and talked about medicine.

Ford seems to be a well adjusted, normal guy, who enjoys life.

great story...

I am a huge Larry Bird fan.  He is in my top 5 pro aesthetes....

1. Magic Johnson

2. Jerry West

3. Lenny D

4. Larry Bird

5. Bob Gibson

w

I watched Larry Bird play in a summer league contest at my high school. He went to IU, and lasted only a few days. His father committed suicide. He got married, and worked on a garbage truck in French Lick, Indiana. I played basketball, but got into a fight with the best player on the team. The same guy who moved to my town, and "redshirted", by being intentionally educated in a school that was not accredited. This same student, and his brother went on to play for NC State, where their father moved (was given a job for his efforts), and only stayed a year or two. They moved back to Indiana to play for Purdue, and Joe Berry Carroll. Again, their father was made rich. There, my "friend" shut down Magic Johnson in a game at Lansing.

Larry Bird played Magic Johnson in the championship game. If not for his team's sudden inability to make free throws, the game would have been a contest. However, Bird, and his fellows on the team missed almost all of their attempts, and the game was never in question. Larry Bird played for Indiana State. Their assistant coach road along on the garbage truck with Larry Bird, in order to convince him to return to college. This person's cousin played on my high school team, and was best friends with the student who red-shirted, and moved to my town to go on to play against Johnson. This cousin was the kid I fought in high school, and whom held a grudge, which caused me to be denied my senior year in basketball.

Later, I worked for a top corporation in sales. I was told to pick up the big boss from the airport, and take him to a meeting. I mentioned I played on a basketball team, for all but my senior year at a certain team. He brightened up, and said he was best friends with two brothers who played on that team, and went to school with them at Purdue. I quieted, and could feel my stomach turn. The big boss said he was such friends with the younger brother that he named his girl Brian, after him. He asked me my name, and said, "I speak to Brian all the time, and want to let him know I met you". Not the best day of my life.

We know he can make some plays, but there's no consistency.

This is it in a nutshell. Ford flashes in a game like this past week in Oakland...and then disappears for weeks on end. Talent becomes greatness when consistency is added to the resume.

Archived