Early 2017 mock

FA moves:

Sign WR Kendall Wright (I think Andy will want to keep adding explosive playmakers to his offense)

Terminate option year:

Nick Foles

Retire:

Tamba Hali (Tamba is physically done and calls it a career; project the Chiefs to gain around 10 million in cap space from his retirement with returned projected signing bonus, roster bonuses and base salary recouped)

Let Walk:

Eric Berry (Not worth being the highest paid S in the NFL, by a long shot)

Franchise:

Dontari Poe

Release:

Jamaal Charles (I can't see them keeping him around when he carries a hit of 7 million in 2017 and would leave 0 dead money)

Jah Reid (sucks)

1.  Jamal Adams, S  LSU

A younger Eric Berry.

2.  Cameron Sutton, CB  Tennessee

I like Gaines, but he's showing that he can't hold up as a starter and that's a problem.  The Chiefs D is very reliant on having 2 good corners, so they'll need to address this quickly. 

White is a good press corner and fits the range of what the Chiefs look for in a DB.

3.  Richie Brown, ILB  Miss State

Good instincts, effective when going after the passer, can be a grinder and a strong tackler.  With DJ wearing out, it's time to start working harder to find his successor. 

3.  Chad Kelly, QB  Ole Miss

Strong arm, mobile, capable of throwing on the run, decent size, willing to take a shot down the field. Questions about his maturity will drag him down (wow, an early 20 something that isn't mature.  shocking.), along with the fact that he'll get a little over excited in big games and get too risky. 

I think the problems are things Andy can iron out, and he's a good fit for the Chiefs offense and will have time to adjust to the pros with Alex still at the helm. 

Alex will be 33 by opening day next year, so they can't keep pushing off investing actual currency into a successor.  Missing out on Paxton Lynch was brutal, but now they have the opportunity to undo that.

(I am projecting KC with a compensatory 3rd rounder from Sean Smith)

4.  Hunter Dimick, DE/OLB  Utah

A solid technician with a non-stop motor.  Could possibly replace Tamba Hali in that elephant role.

I'll add more rounds when we have a better idea what comp picks we're looking at.  The field gets muddy after Sean Smith.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they'll pick up the Foles option..thats a nice security blanket to have. I dont see them franchising POE,  actually I dont see them franchising anyone. I'm really torn about Berry but he's just not worth that kind of $$ from the Chiefs or anyone else for that matter

Maybe Foles will be renegotiated down to a more reasonable backup QB number unless he has a chance to start elsewhere.  I think Hali's replacement (or Ford's) will be the top priority with CB and ILB right up there.  The Chiefs are pretty young on offense and Foles could be kept as Smith's replacement at the right price.  So keeping Poe and upgrading LBs should be at the top unless a starting CB falls to them. Right now, I would mind seeing the Chiefs grab DE Harris from Mizzou.  He has the motor and skills.

Maybe Foles will be renegotiated down to a more reasonable backup QB number unless he has a chance to start elsewhere. I think Hali's replacement (or Ford's) will be the top priority with CB and ILB right up there. The Chiefs are pretty young on offense and Foles could be kept as Smith's replacement at the right price. So keeping Poe and upgrading LBs should be at the top unless a starting CB falls to them. Right now, I would mind seeing the Chiefs grab DE Harris from Mizzou. He has the motor and skills.

I do not expect Foles to be so patient, but a possibility would be for him to extend his contract and keep Smith for another year. I would not expect this to happen, especially not until after the draft. No way would he lower what he is owed if we draft a guy - I mean, I don't even expect him to regegotiate if he isn't starting or competing openly with Smith. This also presumes no extension for Smith.

A Super Bowl would be best. Then a good draft pick would be next. Then a good mentor would be next. It's go big or go home.

Some people would say that the great draft pick would be more important because you're setting yourself up for years of success. But a lot of the greats only win one Super Bowl so if I were to choose between a Super Bowl win or a good draft pick that could be a great quarterback, it would really depend on how great he was and I don't see that person necessarily this year. Obviously, if we don't win, it would be better to have whomever is the best this year.

I do not expect Foles to be so patient, but a possibility would be for him to extend his contract and keep Smith for another year. I would not expect this to happen, especially not until after the draft. No way would he lower what he is owed if we draft a guy - I mean, I don't even expect him to regegotiate if he isn't starting or competing openly with Smith. This also presumes no extension for Smith.

A Super Bowl would be best. Then a good draft pick would be next. Then a good mentor would be next. It's go big or go home.

Some people would say that the great draft pick would be more important because you're setting yourself up for years of success. But a lot of the greats only win one Super Bowl so if I were to choose between a Super Bowl win or a good draft pick that could be a great quarterback, it would really depend on how great he was and I don't see that person necessarily this year. Obviously, if we don't win, it would be better to have whomever is the best this year.

If we don't do anything this year, should we even think about a 5th year of mediocrity with Smith? I'm ready to do whatever it takes to draft a long term, franchise QB. Foles will just be another journeyman QB that other teams didn't want. We've been doing this for 40 years.     Sincerely, Broken Record 

If we don't do anything this year, should we even think about a 5th year of mediocrity with Smith? I'm ready to do whatever it takes to draft a long term, franchise QB. Foles will just be another journeyman QB that other teams didn't want. We've been doing this for 40 years. Sincerely, Broken Record

I am all for drafting a quarterback, even early. If he is someone who could start now, yeah we don't need Smith - team is much different than the team Smith walked into, even though that team had some talent Romeo and Pioli wasn't able to use.

If he is someone that will actually benefit from one year learning, I'd rather have Smith than Foles unless Reid makes a decision that Foles is better for next year. I think Smith has something to pass on to the next quarterback and no I'm not talking about how to be conservative. I don't mean to suggest that Andy Reid is infallible in his evaluation quarterbacks, but I wouldn't take his opinion for next year on Foles when deciding on whether a fifth year of Smith he a good thing. Note that this is in the context of drafting a quarterback to learn from Smith and take over even mid year if right. I'm not talking about a 5th year without any quarterback behind him.

I was saying if we somehow won the Super Bowl would be better than drafting quarterback who might not turn out because even the greats sometimes only win one. If we were to win one with Smith, I would think finishing out his contract would be a good thing. Trading up to draft a quarterback in the first round would be good even if we won the Super Bowl, but I think Smith would've earned finishing out his contract

Unless the Chiefs completely collapse, they won't be drafting high enough to get the next "can't miss" QB.  Even Lynch wasn't available for them this year and he wasn't ranked at the top of the QB list.  So I don't see a choice between winning the SB and drafting a top QB.  The Chiefs will have to settle for a late round pick either way.

Unless the Chiefs completely collapse, they won't be drafting high enough to get the next "can't miss" QB. Even Lynch wasn't available for them this year and he wasn't ranked at the top of the QB list. So I don't see a choice between winning the SB and drafting a top QB. The Chiefs will have to settle for a late round pick either way.

This is what I get for ranking a hypothetical. I was ranking winning a Super Bowl but having a late round pick versus tanking and getting the next best quarterback available. Some people talk about getting the next Andrew Luck, but even the elites sometimes only win one Super Bowl.

I wasn't trying to talk in realistic terms because I'm not saying that we have a great chance to win the Super Bowl or to finish among the last teams, either.

This is what I get for ranking a hypothetical. I was ranking winning a Super Bowl but having a late round pick versus tanking and getting the next best quarterback available. Some people talk about getting the next Andrew Luck, but even the elites sometimes only win one Super Bowl.

I wasn't trying to talk in realistic terms because I'm not saying that we have a great chance to win the Super Bowl or to finish a monks the last teams, either.

Got it.  Sad thing was that when the Chiefs did have the top pick, there was no QB worth taking.

Picking up Foles option would cost 10.7 mil. I agree with LF they won't pick that up at that price.

Yep.  Right now, picking up Foles option would leave the Chiefs with zero cap space going into the offseason. 

Maybe Foles will be renegotiated down to a more reasonable backup QB number unless he has a chance to start elsewhere.  I think Hali's replacement (or Ford's) will be the top priority with CB and ILB right up there.  The Chiefs are pretty young on offense and Foles could be kept as Smith's replacement at the right price.  So keeping Poe and upgrading LBs should be at the top unless a starting CB falls to them. Right now, I would mind seeing the Chiefs grab DE Harris from Mizzou.  He has the motor and skills.

The option year was there in the off-chance Alex goes down, Foles somehow lights the world on fire and they are dying to keep him around.  Foles being here for now was mostly a short-term insurance policy for the Chiefs, and an opportunity for Foles to wipe off the stink of playing for an Offense Blackhole (Fisher).

I don't see Foles negotiating a lower figure, as he'll have options to try to be a starting QB in the spring.

I do like Harris, but I do not think he'll be on the board when the Chiefs are on the clock.  That's why he's not on my mock.

As for the QB position, I agree with what someone else said on the Chiefs not sucking enough to get a shot at a higher probability hit in the 1st.  I think Andy will follow suit from his Philly days and will eventually start rolling the dice with Day 2 prospects until he lands a hit.

As for Tamba's role, I actually don't feel strong about the Chiefs needing to go high in the draft to get a rusher.

I'm kind of intrigued with Nicholas, with an offseason in an NFL weight program.  If they were gonna add some talent though, I think they would lean towards signing Ingram away from SD.

I think they'll pick up the Foles option..thats a nice security blanket to have. I dont see them franchising POE,  actually I dont see them franchising anyone. I'm really torn about Berry but he's just not worth that kind of $$ from the Chiefs or anyone else for that matter

I think probability is over 75% that he's franchised if they can't come to an agreement.

Berry ends up in Atlanta.

He's very very good. I would like to see him create and get. More turnovers.

I think bc Sutton always plays him in that FS role he never gets a chance. He did knock that ball away from Snead which led to the Sorenson TO. He's like our QB for the secondary. We need to win the SB with this core group of guys now - Berry, Hali, Houston, DJ, Poe etc. 

• 1 month later...

I'll update this sometime.

Stacking needs

High Tier:

ILB

RG

CB

ILB was a more pressing need, even before DJs Achilles poofed. Fortunately for KC, the ILB class at the top is good.

Gaines is too up/down, mostly because of health, to be a longterm option. Once again, the Chiefs are fortunate because this class is stacked at CB.

Mid tier:

RB

QB

NT

WR

Ware is a bluechipper, but I don't see a high ceiling with West. Charles will be done here without a dramatic paycut and that's if his knees aren't shot. This would be a good year to grab another young playmaker at RB.

Alex is getting older and I think it's a good lock that Foles isn't coming back. The Chiefs can't afford to pay him 10.75 mil to ride the bench and he will have opportunities to possibly start.

The more the season goes on, the more opportunities I see Poe letting slip away. I think the chances of him walking are real. That would normally dictate a high need here, but they might already have an option on the squad to replace him.

Hard to say if Maclin can stay injury free and Conley disappears for long stretches. They need a better option B, but this might be a thing they choose to address in FA instead. I'd think DJax on the cheap would be something Andy would go for.

Could use attention:

OLB

TE

OLine

The Chiefs could stand to upgrade the depth chart at all these spots.

1. Reuben Foster, ILB Alabama

Time for the Chiefs to find a new leader in the middle that can set the tone for the team. I think they found their guy here.

2. Alvin Kamara, RB Tennessee

RBs are going to slip farther than they should because teams will stack need and place less value in rbs early, with a super stacked class. The Chiefs should take the tremendous value here.

3.1. Cameron Sutton, CB Tennessee

Back to Back Vols. Should be a play and play addition across from Peters.

3.2. Hinter Dimick, OLB Utah

Reminds me a lot of Tamba Hali

Will add more later on!

I got to go with Gil on this. I was a big Poe over Berry guy. Assuming you can only keep one. But I don't think that Poe's back is something you can bank on.

I will agree Berry is not a top FS, but he is the best SS in the league. Run support, manning up on TEs and defending 5-15 yard passes, he is the best. With all my doubts, this is the second year in a row he has owned the 15 yards from scrimmage.

Archived