Early 2017 mock

Re-sign:

S  Eric Berry (4 years/42 mil; 30 mil guaranteed)

P  Dustin Colquitt (3yrs/9 mil) Colquitt gets an extra year on his deal while agreeing to reduce his salary for the next 2.

Terminate option:

QB  Nick Foles

Paycut:

QB  Alex Smith (Reduces base salary by 5 million to fend off any chance of Foles being kept over him)

Signed:

K  Cairos Santos

WR Albert Wilson

S  Dan Sorensen

LS  James Winchester

Release:

RB  Jamaal Charles

WR D'Anthony Thomas

OL  Jah Reid

FA:

S Matt Elam (2yr/2.5m)

ILB  Manti Te'o (1yr/1.3m)

Retire:

LB  Tamba Hali (Chiefs let him retain half of remaining bonus; gain 4 mil cap credit after dead $$$)

A very quiet FA period for the Chiefs this year.  The biggest moves will be re-signing Berry for a market appropriate deal and letting Dontari Poe walk. 

The Chiefs would stand to gain 30 million in cap space, by making the appropriate moves before the Berry signing.  Allocate 13 in space for Berry's new deal, 5 million to retain others and another 6 for rookies with an additional 2.5 for FA pickups.  They will have around 5 million in cap space after all moves are made, which should be enough to maybe extend a player during the season or add some vets.

Draft:

1.  Zach Cunningham, ILB  Vanderbilt

Right now I project the Chiefs to be right in range to tab him.  If they go further than I expect in the playoffs (WildCard), than they will need to trade up for him and should.  3 down Inside backer that can cover and be physical.  DJ probably isn't playing at least the first half of 2017, and is probably about finished.  Cunningham should be a long-term player.

2.  Davis Webb, QB  California

Good size, experienced and can make every throw.  Will drop further than he should, as teams will get cold feet over Jared Goff struggling this year. 

He'll get a lot of Jared Goff comparisons, but Goff wishes he had his arm.  Webb is closer to Aaron Rodgers as a passer.  Will need to sit at least a year, which is fine.  The Chiefs don't need a Day 1 starter and Andy would never rookie unless he had to.

Bray slides in as the #2 QB for now and Webb is the 3rd. 

3.1.  Damore'ea Stringfellow, WR  Ole Miss

The Chiefs were reportedly heavy on trying to get his teammate, Treadwell, in last years draft.  They are both similar players.  Strong, physical WR that will make the tough catch and power through to move the chains.  Will slide due to off field issues, but Reid and Dorsey have shown that they will risk it.

3.2.  Hunter Dimick, DE/OLB  Utah

The Chiefs could have a big dilemma.  Tamba might be done after January and Houston or Ford may not excel well in Hali's Elephant role.  Enter Dimick, who is a Hali type of guy.

4.  Lowell Lotulelei, NT  Utah

John Dorsey saw first hand what injuries can do to a promising NT when he was in GB and they had BJ Raji.  I think the Chiefs will try to get him to stay a bit longer on a one year prove it contract, to see how the back responds, but too many teams with cash to burn.  Dontari Poe will be leaving in March and it's the right move.

Lotulelei is your proto-type lane clogging Nose.  Right range for him.

5.1.  De'Veon Smith, RB  Michigan

Chiefs add some talent at RB. 

5.2  Cole Hikutini, TE  Louisville

Chiefs could use another big play, redzone target.  TE depth beyond Kelce is butt.

6.1.  If you're going to tamper with a FA, tell them to shut up and make it not obvious.

6.2.  Jon Heck, OL  North Carolina

Son of coach Andy Heck.  Can play tackle and Guard and allows them to release a bum lineman.

6.3.  Josh Augusta, DL  Missouri

A big fatty to add depth to the DL.

7.  Elijah Mcguire, RB, Louisiana-Lafayette

West needs some real competition.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re-sign:

S  Eric Berry (4 years/42 mil; 30 mil guaranteed)

P  Dustin Colquitt (3yrs/9 mil) Colquitt gets an extra year on his deal while agreeing to reduce his salary for the next 2.

Terminate option:

QB  Nick Foles

Paycut:

QB  Alex Smith (Reduces base salary by 5 million to fend off any chance of Foles being kept over him)

Signed:

K  Cairos Santos

WR Albert Wilson

S  Dan Sorensen

LS  James Winchester

Release:

RB  Jamaal Charles

WR D'Anthony Thomas

OL  Jah Reid

FA:

S Matt Elam (2yr/2.5m)

ILB  Manti Te'o (1yr/1.3m)

Retire:

LB  Tamba Hali (Chiefs let him retain half of remaining bonus; gain 4 mil cap credit after dead $$$)

A very quiet FA period for the Chiefs this year.  The biggest moves will be re-signing Berry for a market appropriate deal and letting Dontari Poe walk. 

The Chiefs would stand to gain 30 million in cap space, by making the appropriate moves before the Berry signing.  Allocate 13 in space for Berry's new deal, 5 million to retain others and another 6 for rookies with an additional 2.5 for FA pickups.  They will have around 5 million in cap space after all moves are made, which should be enough to maybe extend a player during the season or add some vets.

Draft:

1.  Zach Cunningham, ILB  Vanderbilt

Right now I project the Chiefs to be right in range to tab him.  If they go further than I expect in the playoffs (WildCard), than they will need to trade up for him and should.  3 down Inside backer that can cover and be physical.  DJ probably isn't playing at least the first half of 2017, and is probably about finished.  Cunningham should be a long-term player.

2.  Davis Webb, QB  California

Good size, experienced and can make every throw.  Will drop further than he should, as teams will get cold feet over Jared Goff struggling this year. 

He'll get a lot of Jared Goff comparisons, but Goff wishes he had his arm.  Webb is closer to Aaron Rodgers as a passer.  Will need to sit at least a year, which is fine.  The Chiefs don't need a Day 1 starter and Andy would never rookie unless he had to.

Bray slides in as the #2 QB for now and Webb is the 3rd. 

3.1.  Damore'ea Stringfellow, WR  Ole Miss

The Chiefs were reportedly heavy on trying to get his teammate, Treadwell, in last years draft.  They are both similar players.  Strong, physical WR that will make the tough catch and power through to move the chains.  Will slide due to off field issues, but Reid and Dorsey have shown that they will risk it.

3.2.  Hunter Dimick, DE/OLB  Utah

The Chiefs could have a big dilemma.  Tamba might be done after January and Houston or Ford may not excel well in Hali's Elephant role.  Enter Dimick, who is a Hali type of guy.

4.  Lowell Lotulelei, NT  Utah

John Dorsey saw first hand what injuries can do to a promising NT when he was in GB and they had BJ Raji.  I think the Chiefs will try to get him to stay a bit longer on a one year prove it contract, to see how the back responds, but too many teams with cash to burn.  Dontari Poe will be leaving in March and it's the right move.

Lotulelei is your proto-type lane clogging Nose.  Right range for him.

5.1.  De'Veon Smith, RB  Michigan

Chiefs add some talent at RB. 

5.2  Cole Hikutini, TE  Louisville

Chiefs could use another big play, redzone target.  TE depth beyond Kelce is butt.

6.1.  If you're going to tamper with a FA, tell them to shut up and make it not obvious.

6.2.  Jon Heck, OL  North Carolina

Son of coach Andy Heck.  Can play tackle and Guard and allows them to release a bum lineman.

6.3.  Josh Augusta, DL  Missouri

A big fatty to add depth to the DL.

7.  Elijah Mcguire, RB, Louisiana-Lafayette

West needs some real competition.

I'm with you on Davis Webb. I would even use our 1st rounder on him to make sure we get him. Or even do what we did last year and move in to the top of the second round to take him while picking up extra picks. 

I also really like the devonte smith pick too. a true big power back. 

I'm with you on Davis Webb. I would even use our 1st rounder on him to make sure we get him. Or even do what we did last year and move in to the top of the second round to take him while picking up extra picks. 

I also really like the devonte smith pick too. a true big power back.

Pre-draft workouts will dictate a lot for Webb.

I had us taking Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida in the first but now Walter has him 6th overall. I guess the secret is out LOL. Wish we could get him.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2017.php

I really like Desean Watson. He is clutch and a good leader. I also think Reid would like him and he fits our offense perfectly. I have to admit I haven't watched film on him but watched him live a lot. I think he could be the pick.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Option year terminated:

Nick Foles (10.75 million savings)

Paycut:

Alex Smith (Takes 5 million base salary cut to fend off Foles)

Cut:

Jamaal Charles

De'Anthony Thomas

The according moves would put the Chiefs up to 25.3 million in cap space

Tender:

Daniel Sorensen

Cairo Santos

Re-sign:

Eric Berry (6 year/63 million; 22m SB, 20m guaranteed -- heavy backloaded deal, only 8.9 cap hit in 17)

The Chiefs are now at 14.73 million.

Sign:

OL Chance Warmack (1yr/1m -- Chiefs give Chance a flyer to see if he can turn things around in a new city)

Draft:

-Trade: The Browns move up from 35 to 27  to take another much needed edge rusher, before the big rush on them starts again.  Browns send picks 35 and 97 to KC for 27.

2.1.  Caleb Brantley, DL  Florida

The Chiefs slide down a bit, gain an extra choice and still land their guy.  With Poe gone and another fatty due for FA next year, look for Andy to add another fatty.  He likes going linemen early, anyhow.

2.2.  Raekwon McMillan, ILB  Ohio State

Chiefs get some much needed help at ILB.

3.1.  Wayne Gallman, RB  Clemson

-Chiefs package their original 5th rounder to slide up some spots

A strong, mostly well-rounded runner.  Could use some work in pass-pro, but was a strong workhorse in Clemson.

3.2.  Brad Kaaya, QB  Miami

-Comp pick for Sean Smith-

Reid and Dorsey know that they've overachieved with Alex and his decline is imminent.

4.1.  Duke Riley, ILB  LSU

Look for the Chiefs to add some more talent at ILB.

4.2.  Hunter Dimick, DE/OLB  Utah

A young Tamba.

5.  Lorenzo Jerome, S  St. Francis

-comp pick for Chase Daniel-

A good solid player that will upgrade the depth chart at S.

6.1. Chad Kelly, QB  Ole Miss

-comp pick for a shitbird tackle that the Broncos were dumb enough to sign and start-

Yeah he's a douche, but he's also a very talented passer.  He was the first QB to shred bama's D apart this season and would be going much higher if it weren't for OTF issues and his ACL.

The Chiefs now have fierce competition at QB, which is what they need.  Andy always takes on at least one problem child, and this will be his pet project for the year.

6.2.  Stacy Coley, WR  Miami

-comp pick for Tyvon Branch-

Chiefs will add some to WR at some point.

7.  Josh Dobbs, ATH  Tennessee

Yes, I listed him as an athlete.  I think he has Brad Smith ability, but isn't really a capable NFL QB outside of an emergency. 

Archived