Early 2017 mock

Update:

Option year terminated:

Nick Foles (10.75 million savings)

Paycut:

Alex Smith (Takes 5 million base salary cut to fend off Foles)

Cut:

Jamaal Charles

De'Anthony Thomas

The according moves would put the Chiefs up to 25.3 million in cap space

Tender:

Daniel Sorensen

Cairo Santos

Re-sign:

Eric Berry (6 year/63 million; 22m SB, 20m guaranteed -- heavy backloaded deal, only 8.9 cap hit in 17)

The Chiefs are now at 14.73 million.

Sign:

OL Chance Warmack (1yr/1m -- Chiefs give Chance a flyer to see if he can turn things around in a new city)

Draft:

-Trade: The Browns move up from 35 to 27  to take another much needed edge rusher, before the big rush on them starts again.  Browns send picks 35 and 97 to KC for 27.

2.1.  Caleb Brantley, DL  Florida

The Chiefs slide down a bit, gain an extra choice and still land their guy.  With Poe gone and another fatty due for FA next year, look for Andy to add another fatty.  He likes going linemen early, anyhow.

2.2.  Raekwon McMillan, ILB  Ohio State

Chiefs get some much needed help at ILB.

3.1.  Wayne Gallman, RB  Clemson

-Chiefs package their original 5th rounder to slide up some spots

A strong, mostly well-rounded runner.  Could use some work in pass-pro, but was a strong workhorse in Clemson.

3.2.  Brad Kaaya, QB  Miami

-Comp pick for Sean Smith-

Reid and Dorsey know that they've overachieved with Alex and his decline is imminent.

4.1.  Duke Riley, ILB  LSU

Look for the Chiefs to add some more talent at ILB.

4.2.  Hunter Dimick, DE/OLB  Utah

A young Tamba.

5.  Lorenzo Jerome, S  St. Francis

-comp pick for Chase Daniel-

A good solid player that will upgrade the depth chart at S.

6.1. Chad Kelly, QB  Ole Miss

-comp pick for a shitbird tackle that the Broncos were dumb enough to sign and start-

Yeah he's a douche, but he's also a very talented passer.  He was the first QB to shred bama's D apart this season and would be going much higher if it weren't for OTF issues and his ACL.

The Chiefs now have fierce competition at QB, which is what they need.  Andy always takes on at least one problem child, and this will be his pet project for the year.

6.2.  Stacy Coley, WR  Miami

-comp pick for Tyvon Branch-

Chiefs will add some to WR at some point.

7.  Josh Dobbs, ATH  Tennessee

Yes, I listed him as an athlete.  I think he has Brad Smith ability, but isn't really a capable NFL QB outside of an emergency. 

I like your thinking. The Chiefs will corner the market on QBs if that is to come about. I am not sure about Kaaya, but if he falls to the 3rd round, he would be a value. The Dolphins may want him in the first. Kaaya is smart like Alex Smith, but he is not mobile. Josh Dobbs probably will go much higher, but he would be a good pick 5th round down. The Chiefs still have Tyler Bray on their team, so they must see something in him that others may have missed.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update:

Option year terminated:

Nick Foles (10.75 million savings)

Paycut:

Alex Smith (Takes 5 million base salary cut to fend off Foles)

Cut:

Jamaal Charles

De'Anthony Thomas

The according moves would put the Chiefs up to 25.3 million in cap space

Tender:

Daniel Sorensen

Cairo Santos

Re-sign:

Eric Berry (6 year/63 million; 22m SB, 20m guaranteed -- heavy backloaded deal, only 8.9 cap hit in 17)

The Chiefs are now at 14.73 million.

Sign:

OL Chance Warmack (1yr/1m -- Chiefs give Chance a flyer to see if he can turn things around in a new city)

Draft:

-Trade: The Browns move up from 35 to 27  to take another much needed edge rusher, before the big rush on them starts again.  Browns send picks 35 and 97 to KC for 27.

2.1.  Caleb Brantley, DL  Florida

The Chiefs slide down a bit, gain an extra choice and still land their guy.  With Poe gone and another fatty due for FA next year, look for Andy to add another fatty.  He likes going linemen early, anyhow.

2.2.  Raekwon McMillan, ILB  Ohio State

Chiefs get some much needed help at ILB.

3.1.  Wayne Gallman, RB  Clemson

-Chiefs package their original 5th rounder to slide up some spots

A strong, mostly well-rounded runner.  Could use some work in pass-pro, but was a strong workhorse in Clemson.

3.2.  Brad Kaaya, QB  Miami

-Comp pick for Sean Smith-

Reid and Dorsey know that they've overachieved with Alex and his decline is imminent.

4.1.  Duke Riley, ILB  LSU

Look for the Chiefs to add some more talent at ILB.

4.2.  Hunter Dimick, DE/OLB  Utah

A young Tamba.

5.  Lorenzo Jerome, S  St. Francis

-comp pick for Chase Daniel-

A good solid player that will upgrade the depth chart at S.

6.1. Chad Kelly, QB  Ole Miss

-comp pick for a shitbird tackle that the Broncos were dumb enough to sign and start-

Yeah he's a douche, but he's also a very talented passer.  He was the first QB to shred bama's D apart this season and would be going much higher if it weren't for OTF issues and his ACL.

The Chiefs now have fierce competition at QB, which is what they need.  Andy always takes on at least one problem child, and this will be his pet project for the year.

6.2.  Stacy Coley, WR  Miami

-comp pick for Tyvon Branch-

Chiefs will add some to WR at some point.

7.  Josh Dobbs, ATH  Tennessee

Yes, I listed him as an athlete.  I think he has Brad Smith ability, but isn't really a capable NFL QB outside of an emergency. 

Kaaya won't last that long.  There's talk that he has moved up on the QB list recently.  Not sure about McMillon.  Unless the Chiefs get a shot at one of the top QBs, then I hope they go ILB with their first pick.  ILB, RB, OG, and CB should all be addressed on the first two days.  Edge rush and DT are also needs but not worth a reach.

I like your thinking. The Chiefs will corner the market on QBs if that is to come about. I am not sure about Kaaya, but if he falls to the 3rd round, he would be a value. The Dolphins may want him in the first. Kaaya is smart like Alex Smith, but he is not mobile. Josh Dobbs probably will go much higher, but he would be a good pick 5th round down. The Chiefs still have Tyler Bray on their team, so they must see something in him that others may have missed.

Dobbs will come down to how receptive he is to a position change and how do does in drills as a receiver or runner.  I think he's gonna be a very raw project, which is why I see him as a 7th.

As a passer, he's an UDFA.

As for Kaaya, he's going to sink because there's a lot of tape on his mistakes on decision making and this class is pretty loaded quantity wise.  He's going to be a forgotten guy, but I do think he's the best natural thrower in this draft. 

His decision making and lack of mobility will drop him, but I don't think that will deter Andy because he did draft Foles.  Bray seems to have a 3rd string ceiling and the Chiefs seem to believe so, as they were fast to scoop up on Foles when he was released.

Kaaya won't last that long.  There's talk that he has moved up on the QB list recently.  Not sure about McMillon.  Unless the Chiefs get a shot at one of the top QBs, then I hope they go ILB with their first pick.  ILB, RB, OG, and CB should all be addressed on the first two days.  Edge rush and DT are also needs but not worth a reach.

Already addressed Kaaya.  He's still trending late 3-early 4 right now.

The problem for KC is that they're drafting so late in the first that they're not going to really going to have a good shot at the first round trends at either QB or ILB.

A list of teams that are/could be in the QB market:

Browns, 49ers, Bears, Jets, Chargers (Rivers is getting old and has taken a piss pounding lately; int prone), Bills, Saints (Brees is old and stupid expensive), Cardinals (Palmer is an old brokedick), Redskins (if they let Cousins leave), Broncos (Semen and Lynch probably don't project well in McCoys offense), Giants (Eli is old), Texans (Brock is shit), Patriots (will need to reload after they find a sucker to take Jimmy)

Now granted some of those teams pick after KC and some will fill their needs before the draft. 

The Browns probably go after Tyrod (fits in the offense so well) and the 49ers will give up a shitload to nab Jimmy.  I could see 3 of them flying off the board pretty fast to the Bears, Jets and Bills.  That will leave one QB left for the rest of the round and the Cardinals absolutely have to prepare for life after Carson.  if they wait till later, Houston will absolutely take who's left.

As for ILB, there are really only 2 ILB's worth taking in the first round.  Foster will certainly come off the board in the top 10 and Cunningham won't make it past the Redskins, unless they go full stupid and have to draft a QB.

Davis is a 2 down backer and taking a 2 down backer on Thursday is terrible for value.  That's why many bama backers slid out of Thursday, after being talked up as first rounders.

CB?  They don't need to draft one.  Terrance Mitchell played well enough to deserve a starting role in 2017, Nelson is strong as long as he stays in the slot and they drafted a fair share of CB's a year ago and traded for another.  Gaines might actually be recovered from his knee problems next year also.  I think they are fine at CB right now.

OG?  They drafted Ehringer a year ago and I can't see them giving up on him already.  Maybe they look to upgrade from Ldt, but the idea that they have to draft a RG on Friday is silly.  I think they like the Canadian, so I don't anticipate one.  I see them adding a cheap FA with high potential to the depth chart, which is why I put Warmack on the FA list.  If you need proof that OG isn't some super safe pick, look no further.

Now as for trading up, I could see them parting with one of their picks in Day 3 because they're going to be stacked with them but I can't see them parting with pre-Saturday choices as they will need as many of those selections as they can get due to being in poor cap shape.  Will keep them out of the FA hustle.

Dobbs will come down to how receptive he is to a position change and how do does in drills as a receiver or runner.  I think he's gonna be a very raw project, which is why I see him as a 7th.

As a passer, he's an UDFA.

As for Kaaya, he's going to sink because there's a lot of tape on his mistakes on decision making and this class is pretty loaded quantity wise.  He's going to be a forgotten guy, but I do think he's the best natural thrower in this draft. 

His decision making and lack of mobility will drop him, but I don't think that will deter Andy because he did draft Foles.  Bray seems to have a 3rd string ceiling and the Chiefs seem to believe so, as they were fast to scoop up on Foles when he was released.

Already addressed Kaaya.  He's still trending late 3-early 4 right now.

The problem for KC is that they're drafting so late in the first that they're not going to really going to have a good shot at the first round trends at either QB or ILB.

A list of teams that are/could be in the QB market:

Browns, 49ers, Bears, Jets, Chargers (Rivers is getting old and has taken a piss pounding lately; int prone), Bills, Saints (Brees is old and stupid expensive), Cardinals (Palmer is an old brokedick), Redskins (if they let Cousins leave), Broncos (Semen and Lynch probably don't project well in McCoys offense), Giants (Eli is old), Texans (Brock is shit), Patriots (will need to reload after they find a sucker to take Jimmy)

Now granted some of those teams pick after KC and some will fill their needs before the draft. 

The Browns probably go after Tyrod (fits in the offense so well) and the 49ers will give up a shitload to nab Jimmy.  I could see 3 of them flying off the board pretty fast to the Bears, Jets and Bills.  That will leave one QB left for the rest of the round and the Cardinals absolutely have to prepare for life after Carson.  if they wait till later, Houston will absolutely take who's left.

As for ILB, there are really only 2 ILB's worth taking in the first round.  Foster will certainly come off the board in the top 10 and Cunningham won't make it past the Redskins, unless they go full stupid and have to draft a QB.

Davis is a 2 down backer and taking a 2 down backer on Thursday is terrible for value.  That's why many bama backers slid out of Thursday, after being talked up as first rounders.

CB?  They don't need to draft one.  Terrance Mitchell played well enough to deserve a starting role in 2017, Nelson is strong as long as he stays in the slot and they drafted a fair share of CB's a year ago and traded for another.  Gaines might actually be recovered from his knee problems next year also.  I think they are fine at CB right now.

OG?  They drafted Ehringer a year ago and I can't see them giving up on him already.  Maybe they look to upgrade from Ldt, but the idea that they have to draft a RG on Friday is silly.  I think they like the Canadian, so I don't anticipate one.  I see them adding a cheap FA with high potential to the depth chart, which is why I put Warmack on the FA list.  If you need proof that OG isn't some super safe pick, look no further.

Now as for trading up, I could see them parting with one of their picks in Day 3 because they're going to be stacked with them but I can't see them parting with pre-Saturday choices as they will need as many of those selections as they can get due to being in poor cap shape.  Will keep them out of the FA hustle.

The Chiefs can get by with Mitchell and Nelson, but I'd be more comfortable with a little better quality to play across from Peters.  Not sold on Gaines.

Ehringer will be a starter if healthy, but the Chiefs need an upgrade over LDT.  Good story, but not enough push.

The draft is deep at RB and JC may be done or at least less effective.

As for ILB, Cunningham may fall to the Chiefs but if not, Watts, Davis, and McMillan would be good second day picks.  

I don't think Kaaya will last until the 27th pick of the third round.  Too good of an arm and teams will think they can coach him up into a starter.  I could be wrong. 

The Chiefs can get by with Mitchell and Nelson, but I'd be more comfortable with a little better quality to play across from Peters. Not sold on Gaines.

Ehringer will be a starter if healthy, but the Chiefs need an upgrade over LDT. Good story, but not enough push.

The draft is deep at RB and JC may be done or at least less effective.

As for ILB, Cunningham may fall to the Chiefs but if not, Watts, Davis, and McMillan would be good second day picks.

I don't think Kaaya will last until the 27th pick of the third round. Too good of an arm and teams will think they can coach him up into a starter. I could be wrong.

Mitchell was outstanding.

The biggest issue on the OL was the LG. People seem to complain about Ware, but the issue was probably Zach Fulton. Ware's average dropped exactly 1 yard per carry when Ehinger was injured, and Fulton replaced him.

LDT was as good as Fisher. Ehinger was better than both of them. Mitch Morse was the second best on the line. Mitchell Schwartz was as described. He worked through some injuries, but was clearly the best player on the line

The Chiefs do need help on their line They need depth. Jah Reid, and Zach Fulton are not good enough. If the new guy is better than Ehinger or LDT, then the team has a better starter, and more depth. Either way, but the Chiefs do need to address the line.

OG Forrest Lamp is suppose to be a good one.

He is on my list. I have seen him placed all over in mocks, but generally in the second round. It is early. Generally we get a better idea of where players will fall, after the combine. Picking OL is tough. Larry Warford was supposed to be good. He fell to the third round, and most thought Detroit stole him. He has not worked out. It goes both ways. Terron Armstead blew away others at the combine. The man ran a 4.7 40! He was from tiny Pine Bluff, and relatively inexperienced. So, although some mock drafts had him as high as round one, New Orleans snagged him in the third round. Armstead is tremendous. He is better than others taken ahead of him.

I think Christian McCaffrey or Joe Mixon in the 1st round would have the biggest impact to help the Chiefs right away.

Mixon is not going in round 1. Might be a steal in 3, though. Drafting another women beater might be too far for Dorsey to go. Many are still not happy about Hill. Except on Sundays.

The biggest issue on the OL was the LG. People seem to complain about Ware, but the issue was probably Zach Fulton. Ware's average dropped exactly 1 yard per carry when Ehinger was injured, and Fulton replaced him.

LDT was as good as Fisher. Ehinger was better than both of them. Mitch Morse was the second best on the line. Mitchell Schwartz was as described. He worked through some injuries, but was clearly the best player on the line

The Chiefs do need help on their line They need depth. Jah Reid, and Zach Fulton are not good enough. If the new guy is better than Ehinger or LDT, then the team has a better starter, and more depth. Either way, but the Chiefs do need to address the line.

Ehinger will make Fisher a better player.

Mixon got a 1st round grade despite being a woman beater.

It would be a big surprise if Mixon went in the first round.  There's lots of RBs this year and most teams won't pull the trigger in the first except for the LSU guy.  The Chiefs could get quality in the third round at RB.

It would be a big surprise if Mixon went in the first round. There's lots of RBs this year and most teams won't pull the trigger in the first except for the LSU guy. The Chiefs could get quality in the third round at RB.

From Duce Staley, to Brian Westbrook, to LeSean McCoy, to Jamaal Charles. Andy Reid always gets his running back.

Mixon is not going in round 1. Might be a steal in 3, though. Drafting another women beater might be too far for Dorsey to go. Many are still not happy about Hill. Except on Sundays.

yeah, i have to think that it would do a lot of damage to the organization if they draft mixon, you would lose a lot of paying customers

Walterfootball does a 2018 draft forecast. It is pretty much a waste of time. However, it is interesting their most recent mock for 2018 shows KC moving up, and taking Josh Allen with the ninth pick in the draft.

chiefsb_logo.gif Kansas City Chiefs: Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming Wyoming_logo.gif
2017 NFL Mock Draft Pick (as of 2/8): Charles Harris, DE/OLB

It took a while, but Kansas City supporters are finally souring on Alex Smith. It's only a matter of time before the Chiefs do so themselves.

Josh Allen projects as a potential first-round signal-caller. He has a big arm and can scramble pretty well, but he needs to work on his accuracy next year.

The 2017 draft is thick with DT/NT, and LB. Next year Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, Jake Browning, Luke Falk, Mason Rudolph, and Tanner Mangum may be in the draft. If so, it will be one of the best drafts for quarterbacks in a long time.

Archived