Early 2017 mock

There are 4 QBs in this draft that could possibly supplant Smith:

Trubinsky

Mahomes

Watson

Kizer

In that order.

KC would have to trade up for any of them. I don't see it happening. They could have traded up just a few spots last year for Lynch and Dorsey didn't pull the trigger. Mahomes will not get past Houston and I wouldn't take Kizer or Watson until the 2nd. They will be overdrafted by QB needy teams, though in round 1.

If I recall we didn't need to trade up, but then Denver traded up. Not sure if we knew that was happening or not.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Top 5 QB rankings:

1.  Trubisky (Probably the higher end prospect with the least amount of warts, but very limited tape.  I'd swallow an entire bottle of Tums if I were making this pick)

2.  Mahomes (Ultra talented and fearless.  Will be great if he goes to the right place)

3.  Kaaya (I think he's the best thrower in the draft.  Can throw with great anticipation, accurately and on a frozen rope and with great footwork.  His fundamental flaw is pressure spook and not being very mobile.  Was a bad fit in Richt's offense; think he has Drew Bledsoe potential)

4.  Kizer (Your typical ~*~tools~*~ QB prospect.  Probably needs to simmer for multiple years, like Arod.  Wasn't ready to leave for the NFL, but ND is a trainwreck so I don't fault him)

5.  Watson (Tough, gritty and a winner but a read-option QB at his size is a dilemma.  He'll go higher than he probably should because of his accomplishments)

My Top 5 QB rankings:

1.  Trubisky (Probably the higher end prospect with the least amount of warts, but very limited tape.  I'd swallow an entire bottle of Tums if I were making this pick)

2.  Mahomes (Ultra talented and fearless.  Will be great if he goes to the right place)

3.  Kaaya (I think he's the best thrower in the draft.  Can throw with great anticipation, accurately and on a frozen rope and with great footwork.  His fundamental flaw is pressure spook and not being very mobile.  Was a bad fit in Richt's offense; think he has Drew Bledsoe potential)

4.  Kizer (Your typical ~*~tools~*~ QB prospect.  Probably needs to simmer for multiple years, like Arod.  Wasn't ready to leave for the NFL, but ND is a trainwreck so I don't fault him)

5.  Watson (Tough, gritty and a winner but a read-option QB at his size is a dilemma.  He'll go higher than he probably should because of his accomplishments)

Good list. I like Mahomes.

If Kizer ends up slipping in the draft, don't be surprised if the Chiefs get aggressive to get him (within reason).  I see a lot of McNabb potential in DeShone.

I really do think the chance of the Chiefs taking a QB is good, if they have options whenever they pick.   They always use the top choice to swap out an upcoming FA

Fisher<->Albert   Ford<->Hali (This one blew up on them) Peters<->Smith  and probably Jones<->Poe

The Chiefs will have to determine if they think Alex Smith is a $20 million QB in 2018 and the risk an extension would have.  He's showing signs of declining already.

Best bets with this ideology:

QB (To swap Smith out)

S  (If they fear that Eric Berry is going to leave town)

OLB (Try to replace Hali, again)

Free Agents that would make sense for KC:

RB Latavius Murray (Completely scorned by the Raiders and will have something to prove; FA class will be depressed with super stacked draft class.  Could possibly be had on a cheap one year prove it deal)

OL TJ Lang, Larry Warford, Kevin Zeitler (Any one of these would be an upgrade at RG, but probably not likely because of financials)

OLB Jarvis Jones (Solid run stuffer that could add depth for cheap possibly)

DT  Bennie Logan (Could be what the Chiefs need to replace Poe with.  More of a traditional run stuffer, but the Chiefs need to stuff the run and they have options in sub packages with Jones to slide in the middle--would be much more affordable)

ILB  Don'ta Hightower (A bit injury prone, but a hell of a player when he's on the field.  Might be worth the gamble.)

S  Tony Jefferson (A bit of a one-year wonder, but that could be attributed to the fact that he's so young and could get better)

Carolina released Paul Soliai.  Would have loved to have had him 3-4 years ago.  Not sure what he has left now.

Soliai was mostly ineffective in ten games, according to rotoworld. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4365/paul-soliai

The Chiefs have an issue if they can't get a deal done with Poe. Although he has not been perfect, he is a better fit than anyone else on the team. Jones is too tall, and would not get the leverage at NT. Bailey doesn't fit there at all. Howard splits doubles, but doesn't take them on, so it wouldn't work unless the Chiefs change up the defense. Poe stuffs double teams, and is able to get back to help tackle the runner. He helps the ILB get there to make a play. Without him, the Chiefs would be even worse against the run.

The issue with Poe is his back. I don't know who is going to take a risk on him. He may be overpriced. Brandon Williams will be a free agent in 2017, and is fairly similar to Poe. I am sure the Ravens won't pay Williams anything close to what we suppose Poe's agent will be asking. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/28/ravens-prioritize-re-signing-brandon-williams/

Soliai was mostly ineffective in ten games, according to rotoworld. http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4365/paul-soliai

The Chiefs have an issue if they can't get a deal done with Poe. Although he has not been perfect, he is a better fit than anyone else on the team. Jones is too tall, and would not get the leverage at NT. Bailey doesn't fit there at all. Howard splits doubles, but doesn't take them on, so it wouldn't work unless the Chiefs change up the defense. Poe stuffs double teams, and is able to get back to help tackle the runner. He helps the ILB get there to make a play. Without him, the Chiefs would be even worse against the run.

The issue with Poe is his back. I don't know who is going to take a risk on him. He may be overpriced. Brandon Williams will be a free agent in 2017, and is fairly similar to Poe. I am sure the Ravens won't pay Williams anything close to what we suppose Poe's agent will be asking. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/28/ravens-prioritize-re-signing-brandon-williams/

Williams and his agent probably understand that he's a traditional nose and probably is around the 6-7m/avg range.

Williams and his agent probably understand that he's a traditional nose and probably is around the 6-7m/avg range.

That brings up a point that goes to Poe's added value. Poe had 884 snaps to Williams' 704 snaps. Even that number of snaps for Poe was down from 1031 in 2013, and 1005 snaps in 2014. Even after Poe's back surgery in 2015, he still managed to handle 805 snaps. So, Poe is a road warrior. He isn't a 2 down player.

Over the past four years, Poe has consistently had more snaps. In fact, about 60% more snaps during those four seasons. Comparing Williams PFF numbers to Poe's is obviously unfair. Poe plays more, and plays on downs where Williams, had he played, likely would have performed worse. So, a case can definitely be made for Poe being worth more money. Is he worth $13 M per season vs Williams at $7M? That is out of my pay grade. Only Dorsey knows, and he ain't telling.

First round mock

1.  Cleveland Browns - Myles Garrett, DE/OLB  Texas A&M

Browns go pure BPA.

2.  Washington Redskins (f/SF) - Mitch Trubisky, QB  North Carolina

The Redskins are going to have to make a decision on Cousins very soon.  If they tag him again, Cousins gets even more leverage on a long-term deal and the Redskins will be paying a lot more of a huge money deal early into his contract.  I don't think they want to give him the deal, so it makes sense for them to get the best trade they can round up.

The 49ers give up the #2 pick and a 2018 3rd rounder.  Redskins don't have as much leverage with a trade like this, because they absolutely must land a top pick to draft Cousins replacement and they can't really bluff a long term deal.

3.  Chicago Bears -  Jonathan Allen, DL  Alabama

The Bears really seemed locked in on Trubisky, but with him now gone the Bears will go BPA and that's Allen.

4.  Jacksonville Jaguars - Marlon Humphrey, CB  Alabama

The Jaguars continue to invest heavily into a D that hasn't paid off enough for them yet.  Prince Amukamara played well last season, but he's a significant risk under a longterm deal.  CB will become a big need.

5.  Tennessee Titans (f/STL) - Jamal Adams, S  LSU

The Titans are in really good shape for 2017 thanks to the Rams.  The one big weakness for the Titans is the subpar secondary, so look for them to make a lot of moves to fix it.

6.  New York Jets - Cam Robinson, OT  Alabama

The Jets Offensive Line has gone from one of the best in the NFL to a tire fire in just a few years, which has a lot to do why QB's have shit the bed on that squad.  Robinson isn't BPA, but they need to take the best available in a below average OLine class.

7.  Los Angeles Chargers - Malik Hooker, S  Ohio State

They really fucked up by letting Weddle go.  P.S.  Typing LA Chargers was awkward.

8.  Carolina Panthers - Leonard Fournette, RB  LSU

The Panthers seem locked into moving on from Johnathan Stewart (not a bad idea) and need to take the pressure off Cam in hopes that maybe Defenders will stop hitting him in the head, repeatedly.  Lucky for them, Fournette fills a major need and fills the BPA role all in one.

9.  Cincinnati Bengals - Derek Barnett, DE  Tennessee

A lot of things went wrong for the Bengals last year, but the biggest issue they had was the lack of pressure they generated from the front four.  Flacco and rapeman will tear em apart if they can't fix it.

10. Buffalo Bills - Deshaun Watson, QB  Clemson

The Bills are determined to move on from Tyrod Taylor because of a horrible contract they gave him.  With him gone, they will need to find a new QB to start grooming.  Buffalol

11. New Orleans Saints - Soloman Thomas, DE/OLB  Stanford

Saints need help allover that Defense.

12. Cleveland Browns (f/PHI) - Sidney Jones, CB  Washington

The Browns CB situation is absolutely awful.

13. Arizona Cardinals - Mike Williams, WR  Clemson

Arians and Kiem have to be geeked that the best WR in the draft fell right into their laps.

14. Indianapolis Colts - Reuben Foster, ILB  Alabama

With dipshit out and Ballard in, the Colts drafts will become solid and boring.  Foster will fill one of the massive holes on that Defense.

15. Philadelphia Eagles- Corey Davis, WR  Western Michigan

The Eagles feel good about Wentz, so now it's time to get him some help.

16. Baltimore Ravens - Christian McCaffery, RB  Stanford

The Ravens are going to look for a playmaker that can generate more big plays for an Offense that needs them.

17. Washington Redskins - Zach Cunningham, ILB  Vanderbilt

The inside of the Redskins Defense is bad.

18. Tennessee Titans - Jalen Tabor, CB  Florida

Titans keep upgrading the bad tier secondary.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Dalvin Cook, RB  Florida State

The Bucs are going to need a replacement for muscle hamster. 

20. Denver Broncos - Ryan Ramczyk, OT  Wisconsin

The Broncos Offensive Line sunk their playoff hopes and horse knows that he has to rebuild it to stand a chance.

21. Detroit Lions - O.J. Howard, TE  Alabama

The Lions have really had some shitty luck trying to get a strong starting TE.

22. Miami Dolphins - Taco Charlton, DE  Michigan

The Dolphins need a pass-rusher and Taco is a badass football players name. 

23. New York Giants - Caleb Brantley, DT  Florida

Jerry Reese is a big time Defensive Line investor.  With Jonathan Hankins about to go fetch an overpaid FA contract, look for the Giants to add a stout replacement.

24. Oakland Raiders - Malik McDowell, DL  Michigan State

The Raiders had a great season, but also some very notable flaws.  They could use more power in the middle of their line.

25. Houston Texans - Hasson Reddick, ILB  Temple

The Texans have a mostly stout D, but will need some upgraded play from inside to get back to where they want to be.

26. Seattle Seahawks - Garett Bolles, OT  Utah

Wilson is going to miss significant time real soon if the Seahawks don't actually invest on that Offensive Line.

27. Kansas City Chiefs - Patrick Mahomes II, QB  Texas Tech

John Dorsey likes to draft for future stars with huge upside.  Fisher was chosen to replace Albert, Ford was "ideally" going to replace Tamba, Peters to replace Sean Smith and Chris Jones was chosen to help fill the eventual Dontari Poe departure. 

Looking into the future, a replacement for Alex Smith is a spot that really sticks out.  His play has already began to diminish, he's been steady as a starter but they have to know that they've hit their ceiling with him at the helm, 3500 yards and 15 TD's isn't good enough production for 20 million (in 2018) and a contract extension is very unlikely, 

They tried to get Paxon Lynch in the pipeline to succeed Alex and they just missed out.  Things look more promising this draft.

28. Dallas Cowboys - Charles Harris, DE  Missouri

Jerry Jones gets some tremendous value here with Harris and fills the biggest hole on his team.

29. Green Bay Packers - Takkarist McKinley, DE/OLB  UCLA

The Packers need to get more out of a mostly anemic pass-rush.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers - David Njoku, TE  Miami

The Steelers made Ladarius Green their big time FA acquisition a year ago and he's been a total bust.  Look for the Steelers to try again here to give Ben another big time play maker.

31. Atlanta Falcons - Evan Engram, TE  Ole Miss

The one thing about the Falcons offense is that they haven't succeeded at finding the right replacement for Tony Gonzalez.  I saw plenty of tape on Engram and I think he's a first round talent, so the value and need are a fit for the Falcons.  The value with safety at this spot isn't there and they can get pass-rush help with ease, later on.

32. New England Patriots - John Ross, WR  Washington

Belichick gave Danny Amendola a fairly decent sized contract a few years ago to complete his castefootball lineup, and the move hasn't worked out for the Patriots.  They've already have demanded him to take a paycut, so I expect that he's going to be booted once they can find a good replacement.

QB carousel:

Tyrod Taylor - Cleveland (Hue Jackson will quickly snap him up when the Bills release Tyrod)

Jay Cutler - Jacksonville (Tom Coughlin will bring in a veteran arm, so he's not completely chained to a terrible Bortles.)

Kirk Cousins - San Francisco (Washington is making a mistake.)

Jimmy Garoppolo - New England (Nobody pays the ridiculous price that they are asking)

Tony Romo - Houston (The Texans are in win now mode and give Romo the best road to the playoffs while allowing him to stay close to home)

Colin Kaepernick - Denver (The Broncos finally bring him in without giving the 49ers compensation to do it)

Mike Glennon - Arizona (Will take a #2 role in AZ for now, knowing he will quickly have the #1 role if he doesn't choke)

Nick Foles - Buffalo  (The Bills will look for a right now starter that's affordable, until Watson is ready)

That brings up a point that goes to Poe's added value. Poe had 884 snaps to Williams' 704 snaps. Even that number of snaps for Poe was down from 1031 in 2013, and 1005 snaps in 2014. Even after Poe's back surgery in 2015, he still managed to handle 805 snaps. So, Poe is a road warrior. He isn't a 2 down player.

Over the past four years, Poe has consistently had more snaps. In fact, about 60% more snaps during those four seasons. Comparing Williams PFF numbers to Poe's is obviously unfair. Poe plays more, and plays on downs where Williams, had he played, likely would have performed worse. So, a case can definitely be made for Poe being worth more money. Is he worth $13 M per season vs Williams at $7M? That is out of my pay grade. Only Dorsey knows, and he ain't telling.

Depends how you want to view it. 

I think it's concerning that the Chiefs have been lowering the amount of snaps that Poe has been on the field for and his quality of play is still declining.  I believe Dorsey has already tipped his hand on Poe.

Depends how you want to view it. 

I think it's concerning that the Chiefs have been lowering the amount of snaps that Poe has been on the field for and his quality of play is still declining.  I believe Dorsey has already tipped his hand on Poe.

Perhaps.

YEAR   Snaps        Experience    of defensive snaps

2012       823          Rookie                4th most

2013      1031         Second                5th most

2014       1005         Third                   6th most

2015        805          Fourth                 7th most

2016        884          Fifth                     6th most

Considering Poe had back surgery prior to his fourth season, he has been solid. Having that many snaps as a NT is unheard of. Most snaps usually went to Parker, Peters, Hali, Johnson, Nelson /Smith, Houston/Ford, and Poe. Smith's snaps went to Nelson when Smith went to Oakland. Houston's snaps went to Ford when Houston was hurt the past two seasons.

Poe was putting up as many as J J Watt in some years. He almost doubled the amount of snaps that Wilfork had. Yes, Poe's snap count is down, but he is playing more than any other NT in the league over the past five seasons. It isn't close.

First round mock

1.  Cleveland Browns - Myles Garrett, DE/OLB  Texas A&M

Browns go pure BPA.

2.  Washington Redskins (f/SF) - Mitch Trubisky, QB  North Carolina

The Redskins are going to have to make a decision on Cousins very soon.  If they tag him again, Cousins gets even more leverage on a long-term deal and the Redskins will be paying a lot more of a huge money deal early into his contract.  I don't think they want to give him the deal, so it makes sense for them to get the best trade they can round up.

The 49ers give up the #2 pick and a 2018 3rd rounder.  Redskins don't have as much leverage with a trade like this, because they absolutely must land a top pick to draft Cousins replacement and they can't really bluff a long term deal.

3.  Chicago Bears -  Jonathan Allen, DL  Alabama

The Bears really seemed locked in on Trubisky, but with him now gone the Bears will go BPA and that's Allen.

4.  Jacksonville Jaguars - Marlon Humphrey, CB  Alabama

The Jaguars continue to invest heavily into a D that hasn't paid off enough for them yet.  Prince Amukamara played well last season, but he's a significant risk under a longterm deal.  CB will become a big need.

5.  Tennessee Titans (f/STL) - Jamal Adams, S  LSU

The Titans are in really good shape for 2017 thanks to the Rams.  The one big weakness for the Titans is the subpar secondary, so look for them to make a lot of moves to fix it.

6.  New York Jets - Cam Robinson, OT  Alabama

The Jets Offensive Line has gone from one of the best in the NFL to a tire fire in just a few years, which has a lot to do why QB's have shit the bed on that squad.  Robinson isn't BPA, but they need to take the best available in a below average OLine class.

7.  Los Angeles Chargers - Malik Hooker, S  Ohio State

They really fucked up by letting Weddle go.  P.S.  Typing LA Chargers was awkward.

8.  Carolina Panthers - Leonard Fournette, RB  LSU

The Panthers seem locked into moving on from Johnathan Stewart (not a bad idea) and need to take the pressure off Cam in hopes that maybe Defenders will stop hitting him in the head, repeatedly.  Lucky for them, Fournette fills a major need and fills the BPA role all in one.

9.  Cincinnati Bengals - Derek Barnett, DE  Tennessee

A lot of things went wrong for the Bengals last year, but the biggest issue they had was the lack of pressure they generated from the front four.  Flacco and rapeman will tear em apart if they can't fix it.

10. Buffalo Bills - Deshaun Watson, QB  Clemson

The Bills are determined to move on from Tyrod Taylor because of a horrible contract they gave him.  With him gone, they will need to find a new QB to start grooming.  Buffalol

11. New Orleans Saints - Soloman Thomas, DE/OLB  Stanford

Saints need help allover that Defense.

12. Cleveland Browns (f/PHI) - Sidney Jones, CB  Washington

The Browns CB situation is absolutely awful.

13. Arizona Cardinals - Mike Williams, WR  Clemson

Arians and Kiem have to be geeked that the best WR in the draft fell right into their laps.

14. Indianapolis Colts - Reuben Foster, ILB  Alabama

With dipshit out and Ballard in, the Colts drafts will become solid and boring.  Foster will fill one of the massive holes on that Defense.

15. Philadelphia Eagles- Corey Davis, WR  Western Michigan

The Eagles feel good about Wentz, so now it's time to get him some help.

16. Baltimore Ravens - Christian McCaffery, RB  Stanford

The Ravens are going to look for a playmaker that can generate more big plays for an Offense that needs them.

17. Washington Redskins - Zach Cunningham, ILB  Vanderbilt

The inside of the Redskins Defense is bad.

18. Tennessee Titans - Jalen Tabor, CB  Florida

Titans keep upgrading the bad tier secondary.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Dalvin Cook, RB  Florida State

The Bucs are going to need a replacement for muscle hamster. 

20. Denver Broncos - Ryan Ramczyk, OT  Wisconsin

The Broncos Offensive Line sunk their playoff hopes and horse knows that he has to rebuild it to stand a chance.

21. Detroit Lions - O.J. Howard, TE  Alabama

The Lions have really had some shitty luck trying to get a strong starting TE.

22. Miami Dolphins - Taco Charlton, DE  Michigan

The Dolphins need a pass-rusher and Taco is a badass football players name. 

23. New York Giants - Caleb Brantley, DT  Florida

Jerry Reese is a big time Defensive Line investor.  With Jonathan Hankins about to go fetch an overpaid FA contract, look for the Giants to add a stout replacement.

24. Oakland Raiders - Malik McDowell, DL  Michigan State

The Raiders had a great season, but also some very notable flaws.  They could use more power in the middle of their line.

25. Houston Texans - Hasson Reddick, ILB  Temple

The Texans have a mostly stout D, but will need some upgraded play from inside to get back to where they want to be.

26. Seattle Seahawks - Garett Bolles, OT  Utah

Wilson is going to miss significant time real soon if the Seahawks don't actually invest on that Offensive Line.

27. Kansas City Chiefs - Patrick Mahomes II, QB  Texas Tech

John Dorsey likes to draft for future stars with huge upside.  Fisher was chosen to replace Albert, Ford was "ideally" going to replace Tamba, Peters to replace Sean Smith and Chris Jones was chosen to help fill the eventual Dontari Poe departure. 

Looking into the future, a replacement for Alex Smith is a spot that really sticks out.  His play has already began to diminish, he's been steady as a starter but they have to know that they've hit their ceiling with him at the helm, 3500 yards and 15 TD's isn't good enough production for 20 million (in 2018) and a contract extension is very unlikely, 

They tried to get Paxon Lynch in the pipeline to succeed Alex and they just missed out.  Things look more promising this draft.

28. Dallas Cowboys - Charles Harris, DE  Missouri

Jerry Jones gets some tremendous value here with Harris and fills the biggest hole on his team.

29. Green Bay Packers - Takkarist McKinley, DE/OLB  UCLA

The Packers need to get more out of a mostly anemic pass-rush.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers - David Njoku, TE  Miami

The Steelers made Ladarius Green their big time FA acquisition a year ago and he's been a total bust.  Look for the Steelers to try again here to give Ben another big time play maker.

31. Atlanta Falcons - Evan Engram, TE  Ole Miss

The one thing about the Falcons offense is that they haven't succeeded at finding the right replacement for Tony Gonzalez.  I saw plenty of tape on Engram and I think he's a first round talent, so the value and need are a fit for the Falcons.  The value with safety at this spot isn't there and they can get pass-rush help with ease, later on.

32. New England Patriots - John Ross, WR  Washington

Belichick gave Danny Amendola a fairly decent sized contract a few years ago to complete his castefootball lineup, and the move hasn't worked out for the Patriots.  They've already have demanded him to take a paycut, so I expect that he's going to be booted once they can find a good replacement.

QB carousel:

Tyrod Taylor - Cleveland (Hue Jackson will quickly snap him up when the Bills release Tyrod)

Jay Cutler - Jacksonville (Tom Coughlin will bring in a veteran arm, so he's not completely chained to a terrible Bortles.)

Kirk Cousins - San Francisco (Washington is making a mistake.)

Jimmy Garoppolo - New England (Nobody pays the ridiculous price that they are asking)

Tony Romo - Houston (The Texans are in win now mode and give Romo the best road to the playoffs while allowing him to stay close to home)

Colin Kaepernick - Denver (The Broncos finally bring him in without giving the 49ers compensation to do it)

Mike Glennon - Arizona (Will take a #2 role in AZ for now, knowing he will quickly have the #1 role if he doesn't choke)

Nick Foles - Buffalo  (The Bills will look for a right now starter that's affordable, until Watson is ready)

Bortles is better than Cutler. Bortles was ranked lower on PFF due to his teammates as much as his poor performances. Cutler is similar to Bortles in that both make errors by throwing into coverage. It is inexplicable how Cutler can continue to be so bad at judging when and where to take a risk. Bortles, at least is still young. I very much doubt Cutler will be coming to JAX.

Perhaps.

YEAR   Snaps        Experience    of defensive snaps

2012       823          Rookie                4th most

2013      1031         Second                5th most

2014       1005         Third                   6th most

2015        805          Fourth                 7th most

2016        884          Fifth                     6th most

Considering Poe had back surgery prior to his fourth season, he has been solid. Having that many snaps as a NT is unheard of. Most snaps usually went to Parker, Peters, Hali, Johnson, Nelson /Smith, Houston/Ford, and Poe. Smith's snaps went to Nelson when Smith went to Oakland. Houston's snaps went to Ford when Houston was hurt the past two seasons.

Poe was putting up as many as J J Watt in some years. He almost doubled the amount of snaps that Wilfork had. Yes, Poe's snap count is down, but he is playing more than any other NT in the league over the past five seasons. It isn't close.

He will have that because most NT's come off the field in sub packages.

Poe has logged a ridiculous amount of snaps, yes. The Chiefs didn't really do him a favor by using the piss out of him.

Bortles is better than Cutler. Bortles was ranked lower on PFF due to his teammates as much as his poor performances. Cutler is similar to Bortles in that both make errors by throwing into coverage. It is inexplicable how Cutler can continue to be so bad at judging when and where to take a risk. Bortles, at least is still young. I very much doubt Cutler will be coming to JAX.

Bortles is trash.

His decision making isn't good and his mechanics are garbage. His best production was 2 years ago in garbage time and he still threw INTs at a steady clip. His production came from a lot of his receivers playing very well.

They took a dip last year and in result his play fell off a cliff. Bortles is trash.

He will have that because most NT's come off the field in sub packages.

Poe has logged a ridiculous amount of snaps, yes. The Chiefs didn't really do him a favor by using the piss out of him.

I agree we worn the hell out of the guy. He manned up and took it until his body gave out. Much respect for Poe.

I agree we worn the hell out of the guy. He manned up and took it until his body gave out. Much respect for Poe.

Yeah.  While his play did slip, no way you could say he didn't work his ass off for every penny his contract gave him.  He earned his pay and then some.

He seems to be a good dude and a hard worker, so I wish him the best wherever he lands.

Updated Chiefs mock, after more film logged and comp picks official:

FA:

Cut:

RB Jamaal Charles

OL Jah Reid

Decline Option:

QB Nick Foles

Restructure:

LB Justin Houston (13 mil in base salary converted to SB)

QB Alex Smith (4 million cut in base salary; Chiefs make 2018 player option year in return)

With the following changes, this will bring the Chiefs up to 32.6 million in cap space.  Plenty to make some stuff happen.

Re-Sign:

S  Eric Berry (5yr/65m.  17mSB with 40m guaranteed; first 2 years fully guaranteed, rest of guaranteed money tied to a combo of football injury and being on roster by March 5th of respective year)

LB Josh Mauga (1yr/900k -- to add more veteran presence at ILB)

DL Kendall Reyes (1yr/775k)

Tender:

K  Cairo Santos (original round)

S  Daniel Sorensen (original round)

After all appropriate moves, the Chiefs have a tad under 18 million in cap space to work with.  Remove 8 for the draft and signing FA's during the season and that leaves them about 10m to play around with.

Sign:

RB  Le'Veon Bell (5 years/51m, 15m SB 22m guaranteed)

If the Chiefs make the room to be active in Free Agency, look for them to make one big splash.  I don't think there would be a bigger splash than signing away Le'Veon Bell from a team that skullfucked them twice with said player, last season.

Andy Reid knows it doesn't matter who starts at QB, they have to run much much better than they have been running.  He personally watched Bell run for nearly 300 yards against his team in 2 games in 2016 and would maybe pass up a session at Jack Stacks to have that effort for himself.

The big rumor is that the Steelers will only transition tag Bell to save some money.  They have some cap space to work with, but they also need to give Antonio Brown a huge deal.  The Steelers are a very frugal franchise and may opt to decline the match.  That move would pretty much take them out of the FA game very quickly.

I'm not going to bet my house on this happening, but Andy can be a really crafty fucker when it comes to getting a big time FA.

Draft:

1.  Patrick Mahomes, QB  Texas Tech

The Chiefs make a long-term investment into a vital position.  Alex is maxed and starting to decline.

2.  Eddie Vanderdoes, DL  UCLA

With how much the Chiefs were beat up with injuries and against the run, I can't see them waiting long to add more to the DL.

3.1. Ryan Anderson, DE/OLB  Alabama

Will drop some because of not ideal length and off-field issues, but should be a solid starter. 

3.2. Anthony Walker Jr, ILB  Northwestern

Adding more competition at ILB.

4.  Carl Lawson, DE/OLB  Auburn

I look for the Chiefs to double-dip with pass rushers.  Last season really highlighted the lack of quality depth at OLB. 

5.1. Michael Roberts, TE  Toledo

A one year wonder, but the potential with this kid is high.  Worth taking a shot.

5.2. Carlos Henderson, WR  Louisiana Tech

Could latch a role right away as a returner while he develops as a WR.

6.1. Storm Norton, OL  Toledo

Very tall and long project to shore up the depth.  Needs time to learn how to balance with his size, but lots of potential if he pieces it together.

6.2. Justin Davis, RB  USC

A little undersized, but runs with good vision, good agility and shows patience to let blockers set him up.  Needs to gain more weight and run with more authority, but I like the potential here.  Also can be a returner.

7.  Ben Boulware, ILB  Clemson

Probably not much potential as a starting ILB, but could play a role in a pinch.  His value is great for Special Teams though, and the Chiefs are big believers in investing in ST.  Strong leader.

Archived