Early 2017 mock

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will have to adjust since it looks like they franchised Bell afterall.

Toledo has some underrated talent.

They also have 2 other very good players in this draft in RB Kareem Hunt and DT Treyvon Hester

Some notes as I comb over more draft things:

-I think Forest Lamp projects best as a Center. If I am the Cleveland Browns, I package that top pick in the 2nd round to move back into Thursday to take this kid.

Their Alex Mack replacement is a hot mess, so they need to make it right.

-Dalvin Cook cost himself millions of dollars. His 40 time was mediocre for his size and his drills were similar to an Offensive Lineman.

Combined what character concerns and a super deep rb class, I think he can fall out of the first round completely. I don't think he's a bad athlete, but I wonder if he gives a shit beyond a paycheck.

Will need to have an incredible proday now.

-Foster getting sent home for going crazy isn't surprising, and won't hurt his value. Watching him play, it was pretty obvious he wasn't right in the head. Would be a lot worse player if normal.

-Evan Engram will go high to a team looking at the Aaron Hernandez potential, sans murder. Will be a real mismatch. Furthest he drops will be to the Patriots.

-I think Deshaun Watson is a lock for the Buffalo Bills. The Bills can win now with him and Shady in a read option system with a healthy Watkins on the field.

-Curtis Samuel is a Percy Harvin clone. Will be a top tier player in the NFL.

-There will be some real value in Davis Webb. I don't think he's any less of a player than Goff and will be had for a much cheaper price.

-If the Chiefs are lookingto draft Poe's replacement, I think Dalvin Tomlinson is the best choice. Will provide more run-stuffing ability and while he isn't a very talented pass-rusher, he's extremely solid in his technique which gives him some ability as a rusher. 3 down potential.

Wouldn't hesitate to burn the 2nd rou d choice on him if he drills well.

Some notes as I comb over more draft things:

-I think Forest Lamp projects best as a Center. If I am the Cleveland Browns, I package that top pick in the 2nd round to move back into Thursday to take this kid.

Their Alex Mack replacement is a hot mess, so they need to make it right.

-Dalvin Cook cost himself millions of dollars. His 40 time was mediocre for his size and his drills were similar to an Offensive Lineman.

Combined what character concerns and a super deep rb class, I think he can fall out of the first round completely. I don't think he's a bad athlete, but I wonder if he gives a shit beyond a paycheck.

Will need to have an incredible proday now.

-Foster getting sent home for going crazy isn't surprising, and won't hurt his value. Watching him play, it was pretty obvious he wasn't right in the head. Would be a lot worse player if normal.

-Evan Engram will go high to a team looking at the Aaron Hernandez potential, sans murder. Will be a real mismatch. Furthest he drops will be to the Patriots.

-I think Deshaun Watson is a lock for the Buffalo Bills. The Bills can win now with him and Shady in a read option system with a healthy Watkins on the field.

-Curtis Samuel is a Percy Harvin clone. Will be a top tier player in the NFL.

-There will be some real value in Davis Webb. I don't think he's any less of a player than Goff and will be had for a much cheaper price.

-If the Chiefs are lookingto draft Poe's replacement, I think Dalvin Tomlinson is the best choice. Will provide more run-stuffing ability and while he isn't a very talented pass-rusher, he's extremely solid in his technique which gives him some ability as a rusher. 3 down potential.

Wouldn't hesitate to burn the 2nd rou d choice on him if he drills well.

man i would love to see an Engram/Kelce tandem on the field for KC....WOW!

man i would love to see an Engram/Kelce tandem on the field for KC....WOW!

[Cue 'tight ends thrive in an Alex Smith offense' quip.]

I know nothing about Engram, but if the Chiefs had a Kelce clone to line up across from Kelce, that would be comparable to when the Patriots dominated with Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski.

They would have to spend the #27 pick to get Engram and I just can't advocate spending the top choice on a guy that would never be anything more than a back up.

I've got nothing to say about his draft slot, but as to his use, what prevents the Chiefs from using two-tight end sets? (We're assuming that Demetrius Harris would get bumped to the TE3 spot, and then nothing prevents the Chiefs from using three-tight end sets.)

The Chiefs will have a lot of options in the draft. The first pick in the  draft is a no-brainer. Myles Garrett is clearly better, and Jonathan Allen is next. I feel Fourette is also in that category. After that, the next 20 something players are close. The talent drops off a little, but is solid all the way through the second round. There is depth at RB through the fifth round.

If the players the Chiefs covet are gone at 27, they may wish to move back to gain additional picks in order to have four picks in the next two rounds. If the right guy is available with a trade up, but likely to be taken before 27, Dorsey will not hesitate to make that move (IMHO).

I've got nothing to say about his draft slot, but as to his use, what prevents the Chiefs from using two-tight end sets? (We're assuming that Demetrius Harris would get bumped to the TE3 spot, and then nothing prevents the Chiefs from using three-tight end sets.)

They already do that, but Andy wouldn't use it as a base Offense. He will always use a lot of different formations.

The Chiefs will have a lot of options in the draft. The first pick in the  draft is a no-brainer. Myles Garrett is clearly better, and Jonathan Allen is next. I feel Fourette is also in that category. After that, the next 20 something players are close. The talent drops off a little, but is solid all the way through the second round. There is depth at RB through the fifth round.

If the players the Chiefs covet are gone at 27, they may wish to move back to gain additional picks in order to have four picks in the next two rounds. If the right guy is available with a trade up, but likely to be taken before 27, Dorsey will not hesitate to make that move (IMHO).

I'll say this: If you're going to take a quarterback with the absolutely intention of replacing Smith in a couple years, you have to take the quarterback in the first round just for the fifth-year option.

But, yes, I'm in favor of trading back in a manner similar to what was accomplished in 2016. On the other hand, if the impact players aren't there and the Chiefs could convert their first-round pick into a 2018 draft pick, that could work well, too. That being said, I'm hoping that either a solid inside linebacker or offensive guard drops to 27th.

If you ask the one that can't block as a TE at all, yeah I'd expect that as a response.

There's a middle ground between not being a true blocking tight end and being a wide receiver.

Again, I'm not saying I'd be particularly happy about spending a high pick on a player like what I see in Engram, but I'd understand it, and I think he wouldn't be on the bench very often.

Really, I think the Chiefs should be drafting for Derrick Johnson's and Zach Fulton's replacements.

I'll say this: If you're going to take a quarterback with the absolutely intention of replacing Smith in a couple years, you have to take the quarterback in the first round just for the fifth-year option.

But, yes, I'm in favor of trading back in a manner similar to what was accomplished in 2016. On the other hand, if the impact players aren't there and the Chiefs could convert their first-round pick into a 2018 draft pick, that could work well, too. That being said, I'm hoping that either a solid inside linebacker or offensive guard drops to 27th.

I don't agree. The Chiefs have good coaches. They may decide a lower draft selection has a higher potential. No one is going to start as a rookie, and I will make the argument none of the front line guys (except for Watkins) should be starting their sophomore season either.

In a good QB year, I would rank Watson a mid first round pick. No one else would be higher than a second round pick. Trubisky lacks experience, and is already dropping as people realize his deficiencies. If the Chiefs were to take DeShone Kizer where they stand at 27, I would not complain, but trust Reid knows enough to develop him. However, he has a whole lot to unteach.

Unteaching players is hard. When they learn bad habits, it is worse than teaching a player with less experience. That is one reason a player such as Jerod Evans begins to make sense. He was a running QB in high school, and got injured before he could learn really bad habits at Air Force. He got some good coaching at his community college, and went on to work with one of the best QB coaches in college. Brad Cornelsen. Cornelsen was instrumental in turning Paxton Lynch into a first round draft pick when he was at Memphis.

The other thing, if this year does not work out, there is next season. Next season Josh Allen will have another full year under his belt at Wyoming. That's a good thing because of his head coach, Craig Bohl, and more importantly his offensive coordinator, Brent Vigen. You may not realize who these people are, and why they are important to Josh Allen. Craig Bohl and Brent Vigen were a package deal when they moved to Wyoming from North Dakota State.Brent Vigen was Carson Wentz' quarterback coach, and offensive coordinator. Craig Bohl was his head coach at NDSU..

There's a middle ground between not being a true blocking tight end and being a wide receiver.

Again, I'm not saying I'd be particularly happy about spending a high pick on a player like what I see in Engram, but I'd understand it, and I think he wouldn't be on the bench very often.

Really, I think the Chiefs should be drafting for Derrick Johnson's and Zach Fulton's replacements.

I'm for choosing the player that fits the balance of need, potential and value the best.

If it's a QB, hey great. If a QB doesn't fit the narrative than hey don't force something that just isn't there.

Between pass-rush, QB and DL; think they will be able to accomplish that. I think there are Friday QB's that can improve the position.

The other thing, if this year does not work out, there is next season. Next season Josh Allen will have another full year under his belt at Wyoming. That's a good thing because of his head coach, Craig Bohl, and more importantly his offensive coordinator, Brent Vigen. You may not realize who these people are, and why they are important to Josh Allen. Craig Bohl and Brent Vigen were a package deal when they moved to Wyoming from North Dakota State.Brent Vigen was Carson Wentz' quarterback coach, and offensive coordinator. Craig Bohl was his head coach at NDSU..

But Carson Wentz isn't exactly good, at least not yet.

What is it with people jumping up and down about young quarterbacks who have been the part of some winning efforts, but haven't been the main reason for the wins? 

But Carson Wentz isn't exactly good, at least not yet.

What is it with people jumping up and down about young quarterbacks who have been the part of some winning efforts, but haven't been the main reason for the wins?

Because that's a step in the process. You don't just automatically put the team on your back in some either you do or you don't fashion. It's something you gain with experience.

Because that's a step in the process. You don't just automatically put the team on your back in some either you do or you don't fashion. It's something you gain with experience.

You talk about it like it's guaranteed. Some of these guys will end up out of the league with only the distinction of having looked promising in their rookie year.

You talk about it like it's guaranteed. Some of these guys will end up out of the league with only the distinction of having looked promising in their rookie year.

There is a guarantee.

That guatantee is you'll never, ever develop that QB if you never take an actual shot at doing it.

There is a guarantee.

That guatantee is you'll never, ever develop that QB if you never take an actual shot at doing it.

The Broncos didn't need to develop Peyton Manning. The Saints didn't need to develop Drew Brees.

What's more important to you?: Having a quarterback you drafted, or winning a Super Bowl? Those are not mutually exclusive, but you certainly get nowhere doing, as you put it, 'forcing it'.

The Broncos didn't need to develop Peyton Manning. The Saints didn't need to develop Drew Brees.

What's more important to you?: Having a quarterback you drafted, or winning a Super Bowl? Those are not mutually exclusive, but you certainly get nowhere doing, as you put it, 'forcing it'.

Uh, the Saints actually developed Drew Brees quite a bit.

I don't think you get the part where the QB's that have the potential to be "main reason for a win" never will hit the open market without very significant risks.

Peyton hit the market because the fear was that he was shot and one good blow would retire him. Brees was a major medical red flag. The Broncos were taking a possibilityof paying several millions of dollars to a vegetable.

Teams just don't give out those QB's out of the goodness of their hearts. They are kept.

You gotta build your own guy for that potential, or hope everything in the universe goes perfectly right to get that one super lucky title.

On Brees, BS the saints didnt develop him, he was a very good quarterback when he went to the saints, he was available as a Free Agent, and the chiefs had money, and should of grabbed him.. 

There are no walk on the field and play fantastic qbs this year.. Its not a bad quarterback draft, and in the end..

may turn out to be a great one.. there are guys with a lot of promise, but none are ready yet. 

There are three guys who will probably go in the first round, maybe 4. None of them deserve on where they are at now, to do so. However teams will take a chance on them. 

Alex is the best option for the next year. Theres no body else.. I do expect a veteran backup, and a draft pick ... 

I also expect a lineman.

I also expect the chiefs to look heavily at running back.. because like it or not what cost us at the end of the year, was an abysmal running game, on both sides of the ball. MLB needs to be addressed. Two of my favorite players of all time are nearing the end of there phenomenal  careers,  DJ, and we already released one of the greatest running backs to ever wear a chiefs uniform. 

We have work to do, and not a lot of money.

I do not expect the chiefs to draft 10 guys this year, I expect a  couple trades, up and down.. but i think in the end we end up with 6 new guys. 

On Brees, BS the saints didnt develop him, he was a very good quarterback when he went to the saints, he was available as a Free Agent, and the chiefs had money, and should of grabbed him.. 

There are no walk on the field and play fantastic qbs this year.. Its not a bad quarterback draft, and in the end..

may turn out to be a great one.. there are guys with a lot of promise, but none are ready yet. 

There are three guys who will probably go in the first round, maybe 4. None of them deserve on where they are at now, to do so. However teams will take a chance on them. 

Alex is the best option for the next year. Theres no body else.. I do expect a veteran backup, and a draft pick ... 

I also expect a lineman.

I also expect the chiefs to look heavily at running back.. because like it or not what cost us at the end of the year, was an abysmal running game, on both sides of the ball. MLB needs to be addressed. Two of my favorite players of all time are nearing the end of there phenomenal  careers,  DJ, and we already released one of the greatest running backs to ever wear a chiefs uniform. 

We have work to do, and not a lot of money.

I do not expect the chiefs to draft 10 guys this year, I expect a  couple trades, up and down.. but i think in the end we end up with 6 new guys. 

As we go in to our 5th year using the same worn out statement. He'll always the best option if he's the only option. Gutless front office. As long as management and fans are thrilled to just get to the playoffs, he's the best we'll get.

Archived