Early 2017 mock

They are all a pile of junk, but teams will push their value up. I don't see a first round QB in the draft. Mahomes is not worth moving up for, but that's not my call. He has some good physical traits. Texas Tech played against some really soft defenses. Their offense exposes mismatches, and usually does not translate to the NFL.

Watson is the most pro-ready, but lacks ideal arm strength. I think NFL corners, and safeties will be able to catch up with his passes. He is the best leader, and seems to understand how to distribute the ball. He runs well, has decent footwork, and operates their offense like a point guard.

It looked as if Notre Dame mailed it in last season. Kelly is a bad coach. There was something wrong with that team. It makes me wonder if the character rumors about Kizer were about his lack of leadership. Kizer has a gun for an arm, but he did not exhibit an ability to see the field. His film was much better in 2015.

Trubinsky is too timid. He wasn't as good as people make him out to be. He was OK. He's nothing special.

Webb got beat out by Mahomes, and moved to Cal to start. He is smart, but does not have the pocket presence of Mahomes. Mahomes is much more athletic. He intrigues me because I like guys who have something to prove. I like how he rebounded, and played well for Cal. Cal had a much more difficult schedule. Texas Tech had the softest schedule.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Trubisky, Mahomes and I'd gamble on Kizers upside of he was around in the late 2nd...too much project for me to take him Thursday.

Of that group, I think Trubisky fits best in Andy's offense but very slim chance he's around at 27.

If Trubinsky is gone at 27, count that as a blessing. This draft is loaded with talent. Not so much at QB. Pass.

I think some fans are so discontent about the Chiefs' quarterback situation that if the Chiefs drafted a third-round talent of a quarterback first-overall, those fans would be happy because the Chiefs would have 'committed to a quarterback'.

The better play is to not overpay for high-end backup quarterback talent.

Updated 2 round mock

1.  Cleveland Browns - Myles Garrett, DE  Texas A&M

A physical freak for a Defense that needs talent badly.

2.  San Francisco 49ers - Solomon Thomas, DE  Stanford

I think the 49ers will wait patiently for Cousins to bolt Washington.  They're gonna go BPA here.

3.  Chicago Bears - Jonathan Allen, DL  Alabama

You don't pay a baby giraffe 15 million to ride the bench.  They got their starter in FA. 

4.  Jacksonville Jaguars - O.J. Howard, TE  Alabama

The Jaguars have most of their top picks in recent years to make a vaunted D that hasn't panned out, while their bad QB is struggling.  They dumped off Julius Thomas (for good reason) to the Dolphins and should take a long look at finding their bad QB a new security blanket.

I know talk lately is RB, but they just spent a pretty high pick on Yeldon fairly recent and Ivory has been okay

5.  Carolina Panthers (f/TEN, STL) - Leonard Fournette, RB  LSU

The Panthers seem strongly invested in taking pressure off of Cam and will leapfrog the Jets to land the best back. 

6.  New York Jets - Cam Robinson, OT  Alabama

The Jets spent a high 2016 choice on Hack (lmao) and they need to give him a chance to win the job and see what he can do.  They need to do all the QB's a favor and upgrade that line.  It sucks so much.

7.  Los Angeles Chargers - Malik Hooker, S  Ohio State

They made a huge mistake letting Weddle walk.  Morons.

8.  Tennessee Titans (f/CAR) - Jamal Adams, S  LSU

They moved down for extra picks and still got their guy.  Score.

9.  Cincinnati Bengals - Derek Barnett, DE  Tennessee

The Bengals need some edge rushing presence badly.

10. Buffalo Bills - Marshon Lattimore, CB  Ohio State

The Bills had a need at CB before they let Gillmore walk.  Now they have a big need.  They are lucky that the top CB slides to them.

11. New Orleans Saints - Reuben Foster, ILB  Alabama

The Saints have flirted with a lot of QB's, but I'm not buying it.  They are going to go all in to try to squeeze one more SB out of their HoF QB.

The Saints signed Te'o, but he sucks.  They're going to look for someone that will set the tone on a Defense that's soft as baby shit.

12. Cleveland Browns -  Marlon Humphrey, CB  Alabama

I think the Browns will wait till the #33 pick to go QB, and will continue to add on to a putrid Defense.

13. Arizona Cardinals - Mike Williams, WR  Clemson

I don't think Carson came back to see them take a QB in the first.  The Cardinals need a new top WR to get that Offense clicking again.

14. Philadelphia Eagles - Christian McCaffery, RB/WR  Stanford

There's no way that Doug Pederson didn't notice what Tyreek brought to the table for his old boss, and will look to copy that.  They're going to give the young QB as many weapons as possible to make sure he sticks.

15. Indianapolis Colts - Garett Boles, OT  Utah

The Colts have invested in the line some, but haven't invested enough.  With a lot of FA dollars going to the D, I look for them to address the protection here. 

The Colts have some of the shittiest tackle play.

16. Baltimore Ravens - Dalvin Cook, RB  Florida State

The Ravens have struggled a lot because they can't run the ball.  Ozzie is going to take a dice roll here.

17. Washington Redskins - Mitchell Trubisky, QB  North Carolina

The Redskins have made it clear that they aren't going to give Cousins a big deal and it's clear that Cousins wants to leave.  They will use him for one more year while they prep his replacement.

18. Tennessee Titans - John Ross, WR  Washington

They tried to get Cooks and struck out.  Look for them to go WR here.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Ryan Ramczyk, OT  Wisconsin

Donovan Smith has been awful for the Bucs and they should look to upgrade the protection for Jameis blindside.

20.  Denver Broncos - Haason Reddick, ILB/OLB  Temple

The Broncos really miss Trevathan, I'd bet.  They could use a good player in the inside on a unit that will need to carry that team.

21. Detroit Lions - David Njoku, TE  Miami

The Lions have had awful luck with trying to find a Tight End.  Time to try again.

22. Miami Dolphins - Taco Charlton, DE  Michigan

Dolphins getting some good value here.  Cameron Wake has been strong coming back from tearing his Achilles, but he's about to fall off a cliff and they need to find his replacement. 

23. New York Giants - Zach Cunningham, LB  Vanderbilt

The Giants could use a smart, talented player up front for their Defense.

24. Oakland Raiders - Jarrad Davis, LB  Florida

Davis is looking like a late riser and Reggie probably wouldn't mind him helping set a new tone for a pretty bad Defense.

25. Houston Texans - Deshaun Watson, QB  Clemson

Jerry Jones is going to hold Romo hostage, so look for the Texans to tell them to fuck off and go another direction.  I'd say BoB will want a smart, safe QB that can not fuck up and just keep the chains moving and let his talented squad do a lot of the heavy lifting.

Watson is the right guy for that role.

26. Seattle Seahawks - Caleb Brantley, DT  Florida

I'm sure the Seahawks would of loved to have found a OT here, but that would be a massive reach for any of the remaining tackles.  They could use a disruptive interior DT also.

27. Kansas City Chiefs - Patrick Mahomes II, QB  Texas Tech

The Chiefs will sit back and wait, feeling confident that either Mahomes or Watson will make it to them. 

John Dorsey's motto has been to draft for tomorrow on a kid with high upside.  Mahomes has the biggest upside of all the QB's and Andy has experience with a QB that's too trusting of his arm strength.

28. Dallas Cowboys - Adoree Jackson, CB/KR  USC

The Cowboys let both starting corners go.  Carrol is a passable #2 CB at best, so they will need to add a #1 type of guy.

Look for Jerruh to buck another LSU CB in the first to go for a guy that can generate some exciting plays as a returner, too.

29. Cleveland Browns (f/GB) - DeShone Kizer, QB  Notre Dame

The Steelers have played a big game of first round QB swooning, and the Browns will take the cheese. 

After Mahomes, Kizer is the best QB for Hue Jackson's offense.  Since the Browns are a shitbarn, they won't need to count on him to start for 1-2 years.

30.  Pittsburgh Steelers - Charles Harris, DE/OLB  Missouri

The Steelers will ride Harrison until he's done, but he's a limited player at best.  They need more talent at the edge.

31. Atlanta Falcons - Jabril Peppers, DEF  Michigan

The Falcons are one of the most complete teams, so they'll take the chance with Peppers.

32. New Orleans Saints (f/NE) - Tre'Davious White, CB  LSU

Saints will continue to go Defense.

33. Green Bay Packers (f/CLE) - Kevin King, CB  Washington

The Packers have a lot of question marks at the CB position.

34. San Francisco 49ers - Forrest Lamp, OG  Western Michigan

Zane Beadles sucks ass, so Lamp would fit the balance of need and value.

35. Jacksonville Jaguars - T.J. Watt, DE/OLB  Wisconsin

The Jaguars have watched his brother JJ fuck them up twice a season for years now and will want something similar.  They could also use some more talent for an anemic pass-rush.  Strong character and work ethic will fit what the new boss looks for.

36. Chicago Bears - Corey Davis, WR  Western Michigan

WR will be a priority after they left Jeffery go.

37.  Los Angeles Rams - Obi Melifonwu, S  Conn.

The Rams rightfully let TJ McDonald walk, so they will need to replace him.  This would be a solid swap.

38. Los Angeles Chargers - Takkarist McKinley, DE/OLB  UCLA

The Chargers only have Ingram for a one year rental and need something across from him.  Ingram, McKinley and Bosa inside makes a solid rush.

39. New York Jets - Gareon Conley, CB  Ohio State

Revis sucked for them last season and Claiborne is maybe a #2.  They need a #1 guy.

40. Tennessee Titans(f/CAR) - Demarcus Walker, DE  Florida State

The Titans will be looking to find an eventual replacement for Klug, who may never be the same.

41. Cincinnati Bengals - Marcus Williams, S  Utah

Letting Reggie Nelson walk to Oakland was a tremendous mistake.

42. New Orleans Saints - Dawuane Smoot, DE/OLB  Illinois

Saints continue to add to a bad Defense.

43. Philadelphia Eagles - Alvin Kamara, RB  Tennessee

The Eagles have a pretty awful RB situation.  Pederson will no doubt see shades of Jamaal Charles when he sees the tape.

44. Buffalo Bills - Curtis Samuel, RB/WR  Ohio State

The Bills tried to revive Percy Harvin, but there just wasn't anything left.  They will just draft his clone instead.

45. Arizona Cardinals - Evan Engram, TE  Ole Miss

Arians will continue to add to his passing attack because it needs to be more lethal.  Gresham is more of a #2 guy, so they could use a better starter.

46. Indianapolis Colts - Dan Feeney, OG  Indiana

Ballard fills one of the remaining weaknesses on the Colts line with a local kid. 

47.  Baltimore Ravens - Jordan Willis, DE/OLB  Kansas State

The Ravens have a hole at OLB after letting a long-time starter go.

48. Minnesota Vikings - D'Onta Foreman, RB  Texas

The Vikings are past the Peterson era, but I don't think Murray is a lead back.  They will need to find a bellcow to carry the Offense.

49. Washington Redskins - Jalen Tabor, CB  Florida

Breeland was a flop last year.

50. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Fabian Moreau, CB  UCLA

Brent Grimes is 34 and his wife is fucking psychotic.

51. Denver Broncos - Dion Dawkins, OT  Temple

The Broncos have to find someone capable of playing LT.

52. Cleveland Browns - Desmond King, DB  Iowa

The Browns have terrible players at Safety.

53. Detroit Lions - Jaleel Johnson, DT  Iowa

The Lions need to get more penetration from the Interior DL.  This would be a good get.

54. Miami Dolphins - Marcus Maye, S  Florida

Losing Ifo left a big hole in the D that Nate Allen won't be able to fill because he sucks. 

55. New York Giants - Gerald Everett, TE  South Alabama

A new weapon for Eli.

56. Oakland Raiders - Chris Wormley, DT  Michigan

Good value choice.

57. Houston Texans - Quincy WIlson, DB  Florida

The Texans have a hole at CB and S and Wilson should be able to fill one of them.

58. Seattle Seahawks - Taylor Moton, OT  Western Michigan

Very talented player that should solve the Seahawks issues at RT.

59. Kansas City Chiefs - Tim Williams, DE/OLB  Alabama

Andy knows his team won't go far in January if they can't get around the edge.

60.  Dallas Cowboys - Zay Jones, WR  East Carolina

Terrance Williams is a subpar #2, so wouldn't hurt to upgrade.

61. Green Bay Packers - Ethan Pocic, OL  LSU

Losing TJ Lang was not a positive.

62. Pittsburgh Steelers - Davis Webb, QB  California

This is better range for the Steelers to start working on replacing Ben, and this is pretty close to where Webb should go.

63. Atlanta Falcons - Ryan Anderson, DE/OLB  Alabama

Freeney did well for the Falcons a year ago, but he's old as hell and a FA now.

64. Carolina Panthers(f/NE) - Chidobe Awuzie, CB  Colorado

The Panthers had some major issues after they left Norman leave. 

i am starting to hear a lot of positive things about Nathan Peterman, he could be an alternative to going QB in the first round

I think the Chiefs should aim for a less limited QB, but if they can't land an ideal guy in the first than I wouldn't mind Peterman.

I think there's a lot of good options and directions for them to go.

nice read liquid. I'm on board with alot of what you have here. I'd bump Moreau and Awuzie up a bunch IMO, but that's me. Hell they could both go round 1. 

I have a feeling that CB's are going to come and go in waves with this draft.  You'll see a bunch fly off the board in a group than you'll have a lull and they'll fly off the board again. 

I had Moreau higher on my own personal board, but I think he's the one that tore his pec?  That'll probably drop him some, unfortunately.  Will be a nice get for whoever does take him!

The whole idea is to get rid of Alex. Thanks for playing.

I like Alex.  My sarcasm was because we already have excellent receivers, but beyond the designed play and maybe one more option, he simply does not see them come open.  He cannot survey the entire field and throw to whoever gets open unless they happen to be the designed play or maybe a second option. The search must be for a POTENTIAL quarterback who needs a couple of years to learn and develop his talents.  The focus needs to be on that.  Not on finding another good receiver.  We have to find a guy who can see all the potential targets on the field as the play unfolds.  Alex, God bless him, simply cannot do that.

What excellent WRs? Hill has promise, but Mac really had a bad year. Wilson and Connelly are depth. I think Mac can return to form. I think Hill can develop into a quality starter. But the rest are just bodies.

I think Conley is okay and will get better.  Not great, but better as a #2.

What excellent WRs? Hill has promise, but Mac really had a bad year. Wilson and Connelly are depth. I think Mac can return to form. I think Hill can develop into a quality starter. But the rest are just bodies.

Tyreek hill is going to be far beyond quality starter.

Tyreek is exciting. I can't wait to see what he does. I like Conley's size and speed. Wish he was quicker in his cuts, but yes, he can be a solid #2.

A lot depends on Mac. He needs to bounce back and my gut says he will.

i don't think mac was ever fully healed from his hamstring issue and various concussions

i don't think mac was ever fully healed from his hamstring issue and various concussions

I think this is the problem I have with Maclin.  With my homer glasses off, I think all the injuries are going to finally catch up to him.  Maybe not in 2017, but soon

Taking a look at QB needy teams and the draft:

Browns -

I think the Browns best interest would be to go BPA early and often, because the roster is that bad.  I don't believe Trubisky would be BPA at any of the Browns first round picks, but Browns are gonna Brown.

I think it's a 50/50 that they go Trubisky or Dobbs.  Leaning Dobbs because I don't believe Trub lasts to 12 and won't go #1 (the Browns are retarded, so can't rule it out).

49ers -

They are going BPA.

Bears -

No.  They will take a guy to build behind baby giraffe, but not here or in the 2nd.

I am now thinking Bears in the 3rd round will be the latest Peterman will go.  He's exactly the kind of QB that Fox would go for.

Jets -

The Jets are certainly stupid so I would leave the chance there, but I don't think it's a good one that they will be taking a QB. 

Whatever QB they took wouldn't have any targets in the passing game, a brokedick RB to hand the ball off to and a pretty shitty Offensive line.  They need to prioritize getting help so maybe one the QB's they do have isn't totally fucked.

Chargers -

They will need to invest their capital to win immediately to gain any sort of traction in LA.  I have them passing on QB.

Bills -

I think they give Tyrod one more chance.

Saints -

No.

Cardinals -

Carson Palmer didn't come back to build for the future and Arians wants to win now.  They will probably go QB, but not till later.

Redskins -

They are the trump card.  Really don't know what direction they will go.

If they move on a QB, this will make things hard on KC.

Broncos -

No.

Giants -

Eli isn't quite done yet and they are a playoff team

Texans -

A lock to go QB.

Steelers -

High chance they take one if there's a QB left.  Could move up for one.

QB match maker:

Browns - AJ McCarron (surprise draft day trade)

Bears - Peterman

Cardinals - Dobbs

Bills - Kizer

Redskins - Trubisky

Texans - Watson

Chiefs - Mahomes

49ers - Cousins (kinda surprise draft day trade)

Bengals - Kelly

Steelers - Webb

Archived