Early 2017 mock

Notes:

-There has to be a big sense of relief at Arrowhead now. The big QB question is ideally resolved and now they can get down to business.

-Is it a lock that 2017 is it for Alex? Not exactly. He will have to play out of his mind and be open to a paycut of a significant amount to remain in 2018. Not likely.

-The AFC West is going to be filled with young guns once Rivers said fuck it, he's had enough of that inept franchise.

-I don't anticipate Dorsey or Reid going anywhere for awhile.

Other Drafts I liked:

-49ers did well milking a stupid ass franchise out of essentially free picks. Outhustled by a TV analyst, amazing. They did well adding some talent to a shitty front 7; teams in the 20s are going to regret passing on Foster

-Colts chilled and got an elite safety

-Chargers finally wisened up and realized Keenan Allen is never going to stay intact for a whole year and Rivers fell apart a lot because all his receivers died.

-Redskins got great value with Allen

-Bucs got an amazing player at 19. They are a contender to win the NFC South now imo

Drafts I did not like:

-Bears. Their moves just make no fucking sense. Why release a below average QB to sign another below average QB to the same money...just now all guaranteed? Now with that stupid move complete, you go after a QB that may not have the arm to excel in the Windy city's well uh, wind. They also got hustled by a tv analyst that were never taking a QB. A really stupid franchise all around. Now they have 2 QB's that will get worked because the roster blows.

-Titans. They passed on the best corner to reach for the not top receiver than reached again for a corner. The WR run doesn't happen if they don't shit their pants, but they shat themselves. Davis might be fine, but I'd rather have Lattimore.

-Bengals. Woof, jesus hell. You have god awful protection for your QB and a Defense that needs help and you prioritized a #2 WR that's fragile. What a fuck up.

-Texans. Didn't mind they took Watson, but they had no reaaon to move up like they did. The Browns were never interested and the Cards made it clear they weren't going QB. They could of sat and got him.

-Giants. The pick itself was a reach and I don't think a TE that's a glorified WR is what they needed. The passing game will be crowded with OBJ, Bmarsh and Sheppard. If they wanted to help Eli, I think better protection would of made a difference. Reese is losing it.

-Raiders. Man that's a gamble and a gamble they didn't need to make for another round. It's going to look really bad if the allegations are true and you spent your top pick on a rape man.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll have more of a detailed write up later on, but my quick snap take here would be this draft is a solid all-around B.

1.  Moving up for Mahomes was a great move.  3 playoff appearances with 0 championship games is a clear indication that what the Chiefs were doing wasn't good enough. 

The Indy loss was a total abortion, but I felt the last 2 losses was a pretty good indicator that the Offense just wasn't enough.  When I watched the film from All-22 and saw how many big plays Alex gave up, I was angry. 

If you ask Phata what the problem is, you'll get a checklist that basically says "the rest of the team"  If you ask somebody smart, they'll quickly point out that by a certain time (hint: the playoffs) you have to just take a shot.  That's why Alex always came up short.  You have to be willing to lose the game for the team in order to win it when you're playing on an elite level.

Will Mahomes pan out?  Who knows, but I think the Chiefs have the best set up to overcome those Air Raid odds.  If it works out, the Chiefs have the ultimate QB for that playoff level and could go from a good team to the elite team in the AFC.

2.  Tanoh Kpassagnon has a lot of raw ability, keyword on raw.  Reid's kid (thank goodness nepotism worked out here) is actually a pretty good DL coach, so he's in good hands and if this kid figures out how to use his hands right and gets more stout, he's going to be a beast. 

I anticipate he will be taking over for Bailey as the starter at least by the time Bailey is a UFA.  If things work out well...next year.  Maybe a little early here, but not by much if so.

The only problem I have is I think after taking a project in the first, they needed a more impact player here.  This is one of these picks years from now we're gonna be glad its made, but this year we're gonna be wishing he went up some for a ILB or to an edge guy.  I was really expecting Willis here, so I guess they felt that Ford/Houston/Nicholas/remains of Hali will be good to roll.

3. Love the Kareem Hunt pick, but I don't think the trade up was necessary.  Sure the Texans went RB right after, but I think they wanted D'Onta the whole time.  Hunt is going to be a good RB and could take over the top role by the end of the season, so I won't fault Dorsey for saying fuck it and moving up too much.

4.  Jehu Chesson

This is the one pick I was pretty meh about.  The size/speed is good, but I don't know if you'll get the 2015 version of him back.  Not very productive overall and they traded up to reach for him.

This is the choice I disliked the most.  Dorsey a little too loose with the picks by this point. (This is probably the pick that will ball out and people will quote this post and tell me I am talking out of my ass)

5.  Ukeme Eligwe

I'm fine with this.  Good upside, fills a need and value is right.

6.  Leon McQuay III

Don't give a shit honestly.

I didn't see any horrible reaches and I don't think there were any steals.  They did a good job filling some holes, but I don't think they filled all of them.  Understandable why, but is still is what it is.

I think Dorsey did a little too much moving up in terms of overall trade quantity.  Won't fault him hard for going after what he wanted aggressively.  I think this was a good well-rounded B, that can go far North or South depending on how Mahomes pans out.

Drafts I liked:

Redskins - Jonathan Allen, Ryan Anderson and Moreau (great value) is a strong first 3 picks.  Clemons will be a nice get for them and I thought they did well to address most of their needs.

Buccaneers - Will be hard to defend that Offense with crablegs throwing to a bunch of big targets.  The RB and NT at the end of the draft were fantastic pick ups.  I think this is a team ready to rise into NFC South champions.

49ers - For a TV analyst, he had a great first draft.  I have literally no idea why they felt they needed to take Beathard in the 3rd (massive reach).  One whiff out of ten picks is something I'll give them slack on.

Steelers - Another great draft.  Watt fills a need, JuJu will fill a soon to be hole at WR .  Dobbs is a definite upgrade at back up QB and Sutton will be a difference maker.

Jets - They did a good job attacking needs IMO.  The mistake for them would of been taking a QB; they took one in the high 2nd last year and they need to see what he has.  I thought lack of weapons on Offense and secondary were the biggest holes here and they attacked it hard.  They needed O-Line help, but they had a lot more holes than picks and this was a bad year to need Offensive Line.

Dolphins - I think you could make a case for the Dolphins having the best draft.  They got 3 run stuffers up front, a new LG, a solid corner and a strong rusher.  They filled every need imo

Chargers - They finally got the hint and gave Rivers much needed help.  They wisely decided they needed to load up and win some now to try to win over LA from a shitty Rams squad, and loading up for Rivers replacement isn't going to do that.

They finally have a true #1 WR and won't have to count on fragile bitch Keenan Alllen anymore.  Lamp+Feeney will be a Guard duo to give Rivers much needed protection and Williams and Hunter will be a good receiving duo.

Lions - Davis is a great fit in that Defense and will be a tone setter for that Defense.  Tabor is a good fit in Detroit and Kaaya at the end of the draft is a fine pick up for back up QB.

Broncos - Unfortunately.  Bolles will improve that , Walker is a nice addition and the combo of Butt+Kelly at the end of the draft were steals.

Cowboys - They pieced together another quality draft.

Drafts I didn't like:

Cardinals - They really needed a QB because Palmer getting back to form is a long-shot, if he even stays healthy.  A lot of the jobs on the line with an old, rapidly declining QB.  They also don't have a real option at #2 CB.  This was an insane CB class, so how do you whiff there?  I have no idea.

Bears - Holy shit man, that's all I can really say. 

Bengals - I really don't like this draft.  Taking an injury prone WR, that will be #2 WR at the very best, when you're bad enough to wield a top ten pick is just stupid.  They have a lot of needs....a lot.  Sure Mixon is a hard runner, but who's going to run block for him and keep Dalton protected?  They are playing 2 younger tackles that suck (so far), they let arguably the best RG in the NFL walk to Cleveland and they have a shitty Center.  Andy Dalton is going to die waiting for those receivers to get open.

They took the wrong kicker and took one far too early, but I do like the pair of pass-rushers they got in the 3rd and 4th rounds.  Mike Brown needs to advance his scouting ability beyond the ABC Game of the Week, it's fucking embarrassing.

Browns - They had ten picks to do a lot of damage with and whimpered through them.  Having lots of choices are great, but you've still got to get them right.

I don't think Kizer was right for Cleveland, Peppers was a reach and why? Johnson is soft and they knew they sounded anything but confident about Brantley sticking on that roster.  Yikes.

Jaguars - I think they could have done better than Fournette (Yeah he was the BPA, but I don't think they needed a RB), Dede Westbrook is a total turd of a person (Don't think they needed a WR to begin with) and they didn't find an emergency glass plan if Bortles continues to suck it up. 

Raiders - I would not of gambled on Conley in the first round.  Vanderdoes is completely risky and I have no idea what to think about the cyclops tackle.  Obi is the gem of this class and they got him specifically to keep Kelce from eating them up.

Seahawks - They needed multiple Offensive Linemen and took one with their first 8 picks.  The one they took was for a position they were already fine at.  Why?  Stop moving Britt.  Who's going to be the back up QB?  Why do they hate protecting Russell Wilson so much?

Archived