• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Saints were a wounded football team playing on the road.  Yet they were one fumble away from catching up and winning.  Why?  Because Brees is great.  But we should not be doing the happy dance.  If we play a team on the road who has a great QB, we will lose in our present form, just like in Pittsburgh.  Just trying to introduce a little reality.  If we get in the playoffs, we are going to face a great QB on the road at some point.  By then, Houston will be there to help, which will be very big.  But the injury bug could hit us again.  I just think we should not get carried away with any victory, especially against a wounded club playing us at Arrowhead.

The Saints were a wounded football team playing on the road. Yet they were one fumble away from catching up and winning. Why? Because Brees is great. But we should not be doing the happy dance. If we play a team on the road who has a great QB, we will lose in our present form, just like in Pittsburgh. Just trying to introduce a little reality. If we get in the playoffs, we are going to face a great QB on the road at some point. By then, Houston will be there to help, which will be very big. But the injury bug could hit us again. I just think we should not get carried away with any victory, especially against a wounded club playing us at Arrowhead.

We, as always, took the foot off the pedal too early and tried to run clock instead of keep playing. Should we have executed the second half plays better? Sure, but I think being more aggressive but not stupid could have pushed it beyond "one fumble away." Of course, a pick six could have lost it, too.

We, as always, took the foot off the pedal too early and tried to run clock instead of keep playing. Should we have executed the second half plays better? Sure, but I think being more aggressive but not stupid could have pushed it beyond "one fumble away." Of course, a pick six could have lost it, too.

I think Charles was sore. ThAt was an offensive element missing. I want to see dat and hill and Charles and ware all out there at the same time.

I think Charles was sore. ThAt was an offensive element missing. I want to see dat and hill and Charles and ware all out there at the same time.

Five offensive lineman

One QB

Four Runningbacks

=

So let's make it:

5 lineman

2 QBs

4 Runningbacks

And declare all of them eligible.

Probably would stopped, but not until after much confusion and maybe flags (I don't know all the rules of illegal formation).

If I were on defense and I saw that, I would probably assume a pass to the running back, not a run.

As of late tonight:

Chiefs' Strength of Schedule: 20-20 (.500), 18th most difficult in league

Chiefs' Strength of Victory: 12-15 (.444), 11th most difficult in league

Chiefs' Future Strength of Schedule: 32-33 (.492), 18th most difficult in league

The Chiefs await the result of the Texans @ Denver game to determine whether they are the 2nd- or 3rd-highest-ranked team in the AFC West, and accordingly if they are the 5th- or 6th-ranked team in the AFC.

Other matters of scheduling:

New England has the 2nd-easiest Strength of Schedule for remaining opponents, and they have the inside track on the highest seeding in the AFC.

Pittsburgh has the easiest Strength of Schedule for remaining opponents, but they could fall precipitously in the absence of Ben Roethlisberger; they are a game ahead of the Ravens and the Bengals.

Houston has the 15th-most difficult Strength of Schedule for remaining opponents, and is a game-and-a-half ahead of the Colts and Titans.

Oakland has the 11th-most difficult Strength of Schedule for remaining opponents, and is a half-game ahead of the Chiefs.

The Saints were a wounded football team playing on the road. Yet they were one fumble away from catching up and winning. Why? Because Brees is great. But we should not be doing the happy dance. If we play a team on the road who has a great QB, we will lose in our present form, just like in Pittsburgh. Just trying to introduce a little reality. If we get in the playoffs, we are going to face a great QB on the road at some point. By then, Houston will be there to help, which will be very big. But the injury bug could hit us again. I just think we should not get carried away with any victory, especially against a wounded club playing us at Arrowhead.

You know...I'm done NOT being happy with wins. Every time we win, someone has to point out our negatives and run through hypotheticals. If the Broncos are allowed to luck through 80% of their wins over the last season and a half, so can we. We held the highest powered offense in the league to 10 points under the average, and I could fully argue that 14 of those points were garbage time/prevent points. We did this without our starting CB, as well as without Bailey and Houston. I'm gonna enjoy my wins, because at the end of the day, they all count the same...

The Saints were a wounded football team playing on the road.  Yet they were one fumble away from catching up and winning.  Why?  Because Brees is great.  But we should not be doing the happy dance.  If we play a team on the road who has a great QB, we will lose in our present form, just like in Pittsburgh.  Just trying to introduce a little reality.  If we get in the playoffs, we are going to face a great QB on the road at some point.  By then, Houston will be there to help, which will be very big.  But the injury bug could hit us again.  I just think we should not get carried away with any victory, especially against a wounded club playing us at Arrowhead.

I think you're really selling the Chiefs short.  They averaged over 30 points a game every single game leading up to yesterday and the Chiefs held them to 21.

Is their D shit?  Yeah.  But Brees is still one of the best QB's in the NFL and Payton is one of the best coaches and they've got weapons.

I really hate the way AR plays soooo conservative in the second half of games. It just seems like he puts way to much unnecessary pressure on Sutton and the defense. We never put our foot on the neck of our opponent and put them away.

I think Reid is trying to give us all ULCERS!!!

I really hate the way AR plays soooo conservative in the second half of games. It just seems like he puts way to much unnecessary pressure on Sutton and the defense. We never put our foot on the neck of our opponent and put them away.

I think Reid is trying to give us all ULCERS!!!

Been like this with every coach as long as I've lived. Even vermeil would go cold.

Bil,

The key game changer is Houston....If he can get back and be back to his old self by the playoffs, the Chiefs will be a VERY Scary football team.

The offense is really coming together as the O-Line gets more and more familiar....The defense is playing very well.

Enjoy this season....

w

Same old story.  Insufficient pass rush and a missing CB.  Houston getting back will help one area, but unless Gaines can come back and stay healthy, the Chiefs will keep getting the same lop sided attack against them like they had yesterday.  How many passes went to Peter's side?  How many went to the defenses right and were completed?  Either White has to learn quick or Sutton has to get some more help there.  That leaves something else open.  Right now, the Chiefs are vulnerable to any good QB and Luck surely will see the game film from the Saints game.  As to Bil's point about the Saints being crippled, didn't the Chiefs have an equal number of players out.  The injury report for the Chiefs is shorter because those on IR aren't listed, but I think KC was missing just as many starters.

Same old story. Insufficient pass rush and a missing CB. Houston getting back will help one area, but unless Gaines can come back and stay healthy, the Chiefs will keep getting the same lop sided attack against them like they had yesterday. How many passes went to Peter's side? How many went to the defenses right and were completed? Either White has to learn quick or Sutton has to get some more help there. That leaves something else open. Right now, the Chiefs are vulnerable to any good QB and Luck surely will see the game film from the Saints game. As to Bil's point about the Saints being crippled, didn't the Chiefs have an equal number of players out. The injury report for the Chiefs is shorter because those on IR aren't listed, but I think KC was missing just as many starters.

Everything connects. Many of Brees' completions were not due to poor secondary play, but having tons of time to throw, giving the receivers more time to get open. Houston comes back, pass rush increases, QBs rush throws and the secondary stays on coverage. We are seeing every week that Sean Smith isn't a very good QB...yet he was shut down last year for us. Why? The pass rush masked his inability to stay on coverage for an extended period of time. And guess what? ANY teams defense is vulnerable to a good QB...that's why they are GOOD QBs! No team is perfectly staffed, but virtually every team in the league would gladly trade secondaries with us.

Five offensive lineman

One QB

Four Runningbacks

=

So let's make it:

5 lineman

2 QBs

4 Runningbacks

And declare all of them eligible.

Probably would stopped, but not until after much confusion and maybe flags (I don't know all the rules of illegal formation).

If I were on defense and I saw that, I would probably assume a pass to the running back, not a run.  

Not bad.  But I would have only two running backs, Charles and Ware, since both catch well.  Put Foles out there with Smith and have them toss it back and forth in the backfield until someone is open, Then whichever QB has it last, throw it to the open guy.  Put Poe in the backfield, too, as an eligible receiver,  and if nobody is open, just have Foles or Smith toss it to him.  It's perfect.  Then, if someone from the opponent later calls it a gimmick play, mail him a letter bomb. 

Everything connects. Many of Brees' completions were not due to poor secondary play, but having tons of time to throw, giving the receivers more time to get open. Houston comes back, pass rush increases, QBs rush throws and the secondary stays on coverage. We are seeing every week that Sean Smith isn't a very good QB...yet he was shut down last year for us. Why? The pass rush masked his inability to stay on coverage for an extended period of time. And guess what? ANY teams defense is vulnerable to a good QB...that's why they are GOOD QBs! No team is perfectly staffed, but virtually every team in the league would gladly trade secondaries with us.

I think Smith is good, not great, but good at what he does.  Move the sticks on long drives and limit turnovers.  No turnovers and fewer sacks in the last two games is why the Chiefs are 4-2.  The O-line is no longer a disaster and Hill and Conley give the offense more options.  Didn't Smith try at least three deep passes?  One connected for a 38 yd. TD so I'm not complaining about Smith.  The Chiefs face several more really good QBs with good receivers.  ATL and CAR will be challenges unless Gaines comes back strong and stays healthy or White has a steep learning curve.  Ryan to Jones really scares me.  Newton is still dangerous in spite of this year's record.  SAN can light it up as well.  Your last statement might be questioned.  Peters is very good, but the other side it so tempting for the opposition that he seldom has to defend.  Again, Gaines might change that, but right now I think the secondary is vulnerable. 

Jet,

We just held one of the best offenses in the NFL to 21 pts....without Gaines, Without Houston...

As Ride said, its not simple addition when these guys get back, its calculus.

w

As Bil pointed out, the Saints were missing a number of players as well as the Chiefs.  The Chiefs won the game because the Saints had a couple of costly turnovers and a stupid roughing penalty at the end.  Without those factors would the Chiefs still have won?  The second half would have been played differently no doubt, but this one could have slipped away very easily.  I'm not putting down the win.  It was against a dangerous team with the ability to exploit the Chiefs current weaknesses.  It's  just my habit to be realistic about how strong the showing really was.

Chiefs played "Andy Reid Softball" for most of the second half.

Missing guys or not, Drew Brees showed us and he was awesome.

Lot's of "maybe,coulda, shoulda's " there.....

One thing that got me, our 3rd team TE needs to hold on to the football....

w

Archived