Game takes-

So what you're saying is the Chiefs will go into NE and win the Lamar Hunt Trophy and represent the AFC in the Super Bowl?

Where did I say that?  It's just that beating NE seems to have become a theme of this thread.  Neither Smith nor Foles is likely to win against good teams unless the supporting cast is talented and especially healthy.  Smith has connected on a few deeper passes this season and has very few turnovers.  Foles connected a couple of times against a very poor defense.  Does that make Smith a better choice?  No opinion here, but I do wonder how many deep passes does it take to balance out an interception.  The Chiefs have won three games against high powered offenses by controlling the clock and avoiding turnovers.  Winning is the bottom line.  No points for style.  BTW, did anyone see the end of the SAN/DEN game?  SAN needed a TD to have a chance to tie the game with less than a minute left.  First down on the DEN two.  Four successive passes, all incomplete.  Made me wonder if SAN had hired Reid away from the Chiefs.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smith showed you in New England and plenty of other games what he has. When good defenses take away the short stuff, it's over. Foles makes all the throws.

Alex is the starter for now. If you watched with open eyes, you saw the diffference.

Been a while since i been around here, but this!   Alex is good 10 yards and in, outside of that, he's spotty and he doesnt trust himself. Another thing is, did you see how foles moves in the pocket. Alex doesnt, once he gets pressure he doesnt step up looking to throw, he steps up looking to run.

Been a while since i been around here, but this!   Alex is good 10 yards and in, outside of that, he's spotty and he doesnt trust himself. Another thing is, did you see how foles moves in the pocket. Alex doesnt, once he gets pressure he doesnt step up looking to throw, he steps up looking to run.

I saw how foles got sacked  and didn't feel the pressure..that'd come with time...maybe. I'm all for Smith running he just needs to slide quicker. He's a gamer , never say die..that's a leader . Foles stepped in  against a pedestrian team lets not over do it.

Foles will struggle because his mechanics are never consistent.

If you have 2 athletes like DeSean Jackson and Maclin in their prime, an effective Riley Cooper and a well-designed Chip Kelly offense that will give you very easy throwing options, yeah he could work.

The shit Colts secondary gave Foles some very easy throws.

His launch point is allover the place and it has been for all 5 years of his career. You're not going to easily just fix that now and it's largely why he's too inconsistent.

Alexs flaws in his throwing motion is due to his lower body and not being fluid in his motion. He stiffens up and he loses his power in throws, in result. Not a good thing but he's consistent otherwise.

Andy wants consistency, which he gets more out of Alex.

Foles wasn't as good in year 2 of Kelly's offense. Inconsistent is probably the best description for it.

I saw how foles got sacked  and didn't feel the pressure..that'd come with time...maybe. I'm all for Smith running he just needs to slide quicker. He's a gamer , never say die..that's a leader . Foles stepped in  against a pedestrian team lets not over do it.

Smith gets sacked alot too, thats because our Oline isnt great, plus dude isnt  a running qb like Alex.

Foles wasn't as good in year 2 of Kelly's offense. Inconsistent is probably the best description for it.

Andy Reid, will make Foles a better QB. He's a QB coach in his own. Reid, always puts out a good QB. He knows how to cater his offenses to their strengths which allows them to perform and be consistent.

Let me say I don't hate Smith and I don't love Foles. Statements like this are childish. As a Chiefs fan for a billion and a half years I reserve the right to like one QB over another on our roster. If you can throw the deep ball it's a lot easier to learn to dink & dunk. If can't throw the deep ball accurately after 11 or 12 years in the league, it's not happening. Let's say you're a D coordinator for an opponent. With Smith, keep everything in front and you'll contain, ask Billicheat. If you're entire passing attack is limited to 10-15 yards it's much easier to defend the run as well. Everybody can play up knowing they won't throw over you. Now consider that you have to protect against Hill or DAT flying down the sideline. Or Kelce on a deep seam. But you still have to protect against the screen to Ware or a slant to Maclin. And of course, the running game. Wouldn't it be much more difficult if a team had to be really concerned about the top being blown off the top of their defense? 

This offense is limited with all these weapons if Alex does his usual one read and dunk.

If he pushes it like he did in New Orleans it's one thing, but he's proven over a career, he won't.

So many words that scream out: 1) I don't understand West Coast Offense; 2) I don't understand the difference between executing the play called and failing to execute the play as designed; and 3) I don't understand the advantages of ball control offense and the disadvantageous of explosive offense.

Back in the day, "dink and dunk" described Joe Montana executing the West Coast Offense on the way to four Super Bowl Championships. The positive connotation of the phrase has changed to a negative one over the years. The proper execution of the offense has changed very little.

You just don't understand. And if you can't understand accurately after 11 or 12 years, it's not happening.

Back in the day, "dink and dunk" described Joe Montana executing the West Coast Offense on the way to four Super Bowl Championships. The positive connotation of the phrase has changed to a negative one over the years. The proper execution of the offense has changed very little.

THIS 

Been a while since i been around here, but this! Alex is good 10 yards and in, outside of that, he's spotty and he doesnt trust himself. Another thing is, did you see how foles moves in the pocket. Alex doesnt, once he gets pressure he doesnt step up looking to throw, he steps up looking to run.

Yep.

So many words that scream out: 1) I don't understand West Coast Offense; 2) I don't understand the difference between executing the play called and failing to execute the play as designed; and 3) I don't understand the advantages of ball control offense and the disadvantageous of explosive offense.

You just don't understand. And if you can't understand accurately after 11 or 12 years, it's not happening.

Go back and look at some video. Joe threw the ball deep quite often. He made sure the defense was honest.

Something screams out  "don't bring up Joe Montana in conversation about Alex Smith" Go look at Montana's stats when he was dinking and dunking. Joe Montana is a Hall of Fame QB. One of the best ever. Smith is average at best. Joe Montana won games. Didn't try not to lose them. You can really stretch it when you're defending your boy. 

Go back and look at some video. Joe threw the ball deep quite often. He made sure the defense was honest.

Joe had the horses to go deep.  Now Smith does, and he is going deep more.  Once he gets the protection to give him another second, he will go deep more, and his accuracy will increase.  He really hasn't had both available for him in his career.  

I'm not saying that Smith is as good as Montana, but I think he can win a Super Bowl with the right set of players to work with.

Joe had the horses to go deep. Now Smith does, and he is going deep more. Once he gets the protection to give him another second, he will go deep more, and his accuracy will increase. He really hasn't had both available for him in his career.

I'm not saying that Smith is as good as Montana, but I think he can win a Super Bowl with the right set of players to work with.

At least we are not debating , Bradford or cutler... good god these guys suck

Something screams out "don't bring up Joe Montana in conversation about Alex Smith" Go look at Montana's stats when he was dinking and dunking. Joe Montana is a Hall of Fame QB. One of the best ever. Smith is average at best. Joe Montana won games. Didn't try not to lose them. You can really stretch it when you're defending your boy.

Not in the same sentence. Smith has more come from behind 4th quarter wins, but this is a team games and the Niners with Montana weren't down often. Styles of comebacks are different.

Foles is fun and will push the ball. Throws a beautiful ball.

Andy Reid is a terrible play caller. He got Alex hurt with that stupid option call.

Tyreek is a super star.

Kelce needs a qb like foles.

Online is coming together.

Chris Jones is better than Bailey. And I like Bailey.

Defense is legit.

Conley has tremeondous mitts..

Chiefs are best team in division.

How do we know Andy got Alex hurt with a play call? Is it possible Alex audibled his own number on the play in question? And an injury can occur on any play...it's football.

Defense is decent. Legit would be a word I would use for a great defense. I think KC's defense is above average. Might be legit once Houston comes back. Have to be more consistent in some areas.

Kelce had a huge day but Alex was feeding him a lot on that first drive.

Foles does some things I like very much. Throws a better deep ball. When pressure comes he slides up in the pocket and still is looking for the throw. Something Alex never does. But we are saddled with Smith for a while yet. So we have to just believe his skill set is gonna be enough.

I don't think Jones is an all around better player than Bailey. But if you were to say "at this point in his career"....I would agree.

How do we know Andy got Alex hurt with a play call? Is it possible Alex audibled his own number on the play in question? And an injury can occur on any play...it's football.

Defense is decent. Legit would be a word I would use for a great defense. I think KC's defense is above average. Might be legit once Houston comes back. Have to be more consistent in some areas.

Foles does some things I like very much. Throws a better deep ball. When pressure comes he slides up in the pocket and still is looking for the throw. Something Alex never does. But we are saddled with Smith for a while yet. So we have to just believe his skill set is gonna be enough.

I don't think Jones is an all around better player than Bailey. But if you were to say "at this point in his career"....I would agree.

Alex does step up in the pocket and keeps his eyes up sometimes. He is not consistent. He's done it well for a few games, as a few articles last year showed. Foles may be more consistent, but we've only seen two quarters and a little bit of Philadelphia before his bad years. It's good to see a younger, more inexperienced guy doing it sometimes, though.

Correct on Bailey. You said it correctly. Bailey is one of my favorites. We have some great depth.

Correct on Bailey. You said it correctly. Bailey is one of my favorites. We have some great depth.

Rewatched the first half Chris Jones got tons of pressure on Luck 3 times forced errant throws. Also, had a half a sack with Dee Ford. He beats 1v1 blocking every time. Now you can't just double team Poe everytime. Jones, brings a dynamic pass rush that even Bailey doesn't have. Kid's only 22, ceiling is sky high. Now if we could just bring DeVito back from retirement...

Something I read on another site:

I'd like to see him in a game where we're not playing the Colts. My related thoughts:

1. It was pretty clear that throwing the ball deep was part of the game plan yesterday, as Smith had already thrown a couple deep balls before he went out the first time. It wasn't a matter of "having Foles in changed the game plan".

2. Both Foles deep balls were under-thrown or late. It's hard to say whether that's just getting in sync with the timing because he hadn't played, or if he thinks his arm is "bigger" than it is. I do think against a team with any sort of secondary at all we might have seen both broken up. And Hill was WIDE open on his TD; there was no reason the safety should have even been with in arms length, but he was.

3. The best throw of the day was Smith's TD to Maclin.

4. The offense is growing. They've been working Hill in more and more and they actually managed to get the ball to Kelce (both Smith and Foles). The expansion started particularly after the bye week, not just today. Again, that's been a stretch where we played three of the worst defenses in the league, so it's hard to tell if it will continue like this. But it's not fair to say that things changed all of a sudden once Foles came in.

I'm glad we have two QBs we feel confident in. But, if you have two QBs vying for the #1 spot, you have none. I don't t think there is much question that Smith gets his job back once he comes back from the concussion protocol. I'm interested to see what Foles does in the meantime, because it could make things interesting in the offseason when they make decisions about the future.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20151122_NFL_Report__Foles__disappointing_season_not_a_surprise.html

But you said dink and dunk. Montana did it all.

Your statement is 100% ignorant. In terms of West Coast Offense, you demonstrate NO comprehension. You probably don't realize that runningback Roger Craig was Joe Montana's leading receiver in their 49ers' 1984 Super Bowl run.

It's egregious. It's pathetic. Your senseless war against Alex Smith leads you to reject every bit of logic and data supporting the viewpoint opposite yours. You are literally uneducated about football. If you knew something about football, I wouldn't feel compelled to spell everything out for you. But since you embrace untruth and love the lie in the face of everything I've ever said on the subject that you have been party to, you are not worth any further effort on my part.

Your statement is 100% ignorant. In terms of West Coast Offense, you demonstrate NO comprehension. You probably don't realize that runningback Roger Craig was Joe Montana's leading receiver in their 49ers' 1984 Super Bowl run.

It's egregious. It's pathetic. Your senseless war against Alex Smith leads you to reject every bit of logic and data supporting the viewpoint opposite yours. You are literally uneducated about football. If you knew something about football, I wouldn't feel compelled to spell everything out for you. But since you embrace untruth and love the lie in the face of everything I've ever said on the subject that you have been party to, you are not worth any further effort on my part.

You don't know me or my football intellegence. What's sports I played or at what level. Roger was the first rb to run for 1000 yards and have a 1000 yards receiving... I know my sports beyond KC.

Now, I'm well aware of the WCO. I don't care that it's predicated on short passes. This isn't the 80's and 90's.You still have to take shots to keep defenses honest. That's what Montana did and the other greats.

Have a nice night.

Archived