It doesn't seem to be mentioned enough here.  Of all the good things that Dorsey and Reid have accomplished, maybe the most amazing thing has been building great depth.  That's what makes "next man up" work so well.  We all get so wrapped up in the high round choices, it is easy to forget how huge injuries play in this game.  Having an overall roster with guys who can come in and not miss a beat is the mark of all truly great teams.  Seeing LDT come in, Foles, all the D-backs this year shows how deep we are. Last year, Ware and West.  

Dorsey and Reid are the best the Chiefs have ever had, regardless of the many accomplishments of past regimes with high round choices.  We have done really well with high rounds, also. 

Tyreek Hill is amazing.  I was so against him because of his history with domestic violence.  I still worry if he becomes a star and we rely on him too much in determining future drafts.  We could lose him in an instant with a repeat of that kind of thing.  I gave up on Ford, too.  But he looks like he can become a pretty good player.

Bil,

Roster Building is something that Dorsey does VERY well.  Reid is a GREAT Coach that ATTRACTS quality free agents like MacLin & Foles.  They excel because Reid respects Dorsey enough to "stay out of the personnel business".

They need to win a Super Bowl before I agree that they "are the best"...

Let's not freak out one way or another about Tyreek Hill.  You like to  tell me  that "criminals can be rehabilitated" so lets give him the benefit of the doubt that he has grown up and become a man.

w

Bil,

Roster Building is something that Dorsey does VERY well.  Reid is a GREAT Coach that ATTRACTS quality free agents like MacLin & Foles.  They excel because Reid respects Dorsey enough to "stay out of the personnel business".

They need to win a Super Bowl before I agree that they "are the best"...

Let's not freak out one way or another about Tyreek Hill.  You like to  tell me  that "criminals can be rehabilitated" so lets give him the benefit of the doubt that he has grown up and become a man.

w

Agree.  I shouldn't have said "best" until they prove it with a ring.  As for Hill, I said many times after the draft that I didn't think it was a maturity issue, but a psychological one.  I stand by that.  So, I remain worried, especially if his eventual stardom causes the organization to rely on him too much on the field and in their draft strategies.  Hopefully, my worries will be unfounded, but they are still there.  I love him as a football player.  How could anyone not?   As for "criminals can be rehabilitated" his issue has nothing to do with rehabilitation or criminal tendencies or of maturity. It has only to do with a deep background of intolerance for emotional upset in a domestic relationship setting.  That doesn't change with aging.  It changes only in two ways. 1) spiritual growth and/or 2) psychiatric therapy. I hope it never becomes an issue for anyone again, but I won't place any bets on that.

Its best to not let love of the Chiefs and of spectacular football talent to stand as a barrier to keeping our eyes open about him slamming his girlfriend's head into a door and trying to choke her during an argument.  Just sayin'.

Agree.  I shouldn't have said "best" until they prove it with a ring.  As for Hill, I said many times after the draft that I didn't think it was a maturity issue, but a psychological one.  I stand by that.  So, I remain worried, especially if his eventual stardom causes the organization to rely on him too much on the field and in their draft strategies.  Hopefully, my worries will be unfounded, but they are still there.  I love him as a football player.  How could anyone not?   As for "criminals can be rehabilitated" his issue has nothing to do with rehabilitation or criminal tendencies or of maturity. It has only to do with a deep background of intolerance for emotional upset in a domestic relationship setting.  That doesn't change with aging.  It changes only in two ways. 1) spiritual growth and/or 2) psychiatric therapy. I hope it never becomes an issue for anyone again, but I won't place any bets on that.

Its best to not let love of the Chiefs and of spectacular football talent to stand as a barrier to keeping our eyes open about him slamming his girlfriend's head into a door and trying to choke her during an argument.  Just sayin'.

Reid, turned around Michael Vick in Philli. Don't see why he can't do it with Hill.

Depth, is purely about belief in the players. Reid and Dorsey believe that the talent and character they put out on the field day in and day out will will succeed. That breeds aspiration and comradery within an organization. That's why Belichick has been so successful in NE. They drop big stars all the time, hence the most recent in Jamie Collins - then it's next man up, i.e. Malcom Bulter.

I don't have the expertise or ability to judge between immaturity and psychological issues, but know a a few cases where young men committed really bad acts and turned around to become very good people.  Unless Hill has a second episode of violence towards a woman, let's give him the benefit of the doubt.  Isn't part of his rehab regular psychological treatments? 

Reid, turned around Michael Vick in Philli. Don't see why he can't do it with Hill.

I don't necessarily share Bil's perspective on rehabilitation and I do think Andy Reid is a good coach for these things, but I think not getting into a dog fighting ring, is easier than controlling your emotions when someone challenges you at the place you are at most often (home). When I say challenge you, I'm not blaming the victim. That's just how the perpetrator thinks.

I don't have the expertise or ability to judge between immaturity and psychological issues, but know a a few cases where young men committed really bad acts and turned around to become very good people.  Unless Hill has a second episode of violence towards a woman, let's give him the benefit of the doubt.  Isn't part of his rehab regular psychological treatments? 

"I know a few cases" is an anecdotal argument.  So, no point in arguing that.  I do agree with giving him the benefit of the doubt.  I never suggested otherwise.  I am only mentioning that he has an emotional issue that puts him at risk, not that it definitely will happen again.  I didn't know about him receiving psychological treatment. If that is the case, then that is due diligence by the team and a great idea. That is the one thing that would be preventative.  I would hate for the Chiefs to lose a guy with that kind of ability.  I think he could be a superstar.   

"I know a few cases" is an anecdotal argument.  So, no point in arguing that.  I do agree with giving him the benefit of the doubt.  I never suggested otherwise.  I am only mentioning that he has an emotional issue that puts him at risk, not that it definitely will happen again.  I didn't know about him receiving psychological treatment. If that is the case, then that is due diligence by the team and a great idea. That is the one thing that would be preventative.  I would hate for the Chiefs to lose a guy with that kind of ability.  I think he could be a superstar.   

Maybe I can find the reference somewhere, but right after the draft, Hill was much discussed and the conditions of his probation included treatment for anger management.  I could have been wrong about it being psychological treatment, but was under that impression that it was regular and ongoing.  The anecdotes were only to point out that people do rehab from seemingly bad acts and Hill might fall into that class.  He certainly has the incentives.

Maybe I can find the reference somewhere, but right after the draft, Hill was much discussed and the conditions of his probation included treatment for anger management.  I could have been wrong about it being psychological treatment, but was under that impression that it was regular and ongoing.  The anecdotes were only to point out that people do rehab from seemingly bad acts and Hill might fall into that class.  He certainly has the incentives.

Anger management is a type of psychological treatment.  That type might be just right for him.

Bil,

I think you would agree that all you are going off of is "your gut".

You have no clinical data on T Hill.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

w

The only data I have is that he choked his girlfriend and banged her head against a wall several times while choking her.  I would say that is an emotional problem.  Normal guys do not do that.  So, you're wrong. That is enough clinical data for a valid psychological opinion.  I have clearly explained where I stand on this in countless posts, and it has absolutely nothing to do with not giving him "the benefit of the doubt."

The only data I have is that he choked his girlfriend and banged her head against a wall several times while choking her.  I would say that is an emotional problem.  Normal guys do not do that.  So, you're wrong. That is enough clinical data for a valid psychological opinion.  I have clearly explained where I stand on this in countless posts, and it has absolutely nothing to do with not giving him "the benefit of the doubt."

Bil when did working on dead people make you a psychiatrist?  you might read this link.http://www.ocolly.com/news/article_b0e49aba-4836-11e5-a357-9fc17dfacedf.html.

Bil I have dealt with a legion of  people in prison for domestic assault and that hardly sounds like a guy who will be a repeat offender. I am almost positive that I have been exposed to 100x's more serial domestic abusers than you working  with prisoners. If the Prosecutor's investigation had proved other wise  I'm sure he would of not got such a slight  sentence.

all that being said I will acknowledge I had great reservations about this pick and still have a bit of a worry that maybe not domestic violence  is in his future but some other type of bad behavior..to date he has done everything right so  just leave it at that and leave the  psychoanalysis  to the people with the expertise.

Archived