Charles to IR

HGH testing officially began in October 2014, although the feeling was it was flawed early on and likely has been adjusted since.

The following season, Peyton Manning completely falls off a cliff and the amount of beyond human recovery times starts to come to an end.  HGH was a big issue in the NFL, not sure how much it is now.

So, you are speculating Jamaal Charles used HGH for his first surgery, but did not during his recovery for the second, for fear of being tested, and caught?

HGH is illegal in the USA for use other than prescribed. My nephew used HGH due to his lack of height. The amount of paperwork, documentation, and regulatory hurdles were tremendous. By the time he was allowed to use the drug (injections) it was almost too late. He grew six inches (probably not due to the HGH), and quit using the drug. He would have been 5 foot tall, but grew to 5'8", and that was enough. I also worked with a kid in special needs class. He used the drug, but never gained the desired height.

I am not saying HGH cannot or is not used illegally. However, it is not as easy to obtain as you might believe. One factor of Jamaal Charles' injury issues may be age. It is not as easy to recover from an injury when you get older. Also, the roulette wheel of luck may be another reason. Players tend to grant themselves credit for healing more quickly. The odds are they were lucky. Some injuries are more persistent, and others heal quicker than expected. For every player who heals faster, and is as good or better after the injury, I can show you one who did not, and could not.

Jamaal had a meniscus tear, and his knee needed to be cleaned of debris. It is likely he will begin to exhibit arthritic conditions that happen to persons with extensive knee injuries. You can only beat back the forces of nature so long. It is a good question to ask why did Dr. Andrews not find the obstructive meniscus pieces during the surgery?  Several players have their knee scoped, and cleaned up, and can play within a couple of weeks. I would not be surprised to see Charles play soon, if this fixes the problem. The swelling should resolve itself rather quickly.

Archived