Chiefs-Jags

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of drops.. good god

Where's Conley

We have had a lot of drops since the second quarter of the Colts game. Maybe this happens more when you are trying to expand an offense? I mean, players should catch the ball, but I don't know if there is uncertainty going on. It doesn't really seem to be a miscommunication issue so it's not the change at QB (but things happen in a split seconds, so who knows?). We, of course, have backup receivers out there and they are going to drop the ball more.

I think this might happen when you switch quarterbacks ( and, of course, injuries to the line). Steve Young had said that Smith is pretty good at pre-snap reads. (Of course, postsnap is not his strength). Some of the run plays he checks into as well as protection calls can help. It also doesn't help that the running backs are different this game.

I agree there.  It was a mix of Foles not making the right adjustments and not good play design.

Lots of drops.. good god

Where's Conley

His route-running is still lacking.  It's why he's not getting open. 

You have to run excellent routes to get open in this offense.

Agree with Bil.  The Chiefs should win, but all the injuries could make this close and a turnover or two could sink them.  Still, I expect a home win.

Looks like we were pretty much on the money, Jet.  That last 6 minutes, I was dying.  We had ZERO running game and could not stop theirs.  We really should have lost, but the turnovers and long punts by Colquitt and the field goals by Santos got us the W.  And a W is a W.  I need a long nap.

Because I am a nice, courteous guy, I won't mention SEMO's prediction of a Chiefs blowout.  That would be rude and completely unnecessary.

The thing with Foles is he can be pretty adequate if you can give him a nice wall of protection and have good athletes outside to spread it wide open (heh) and give him some open shots. 

He's not going to throw a guy open, do well on anticipation throws or handle precision passing.  His mechanics are sloppy as hell.

The thing with Foles is he can be pretty adequate if you can give him a nice wall of protection and have good athletes outside to spread it wide open (heh) and give him some open shots.

He's not going to throw a guy open, do well on anticipation throws or handle precision passing. His mechanics are sloppy as hell.

2-0 coming off the bench

Pretty nice that your backup can win some games, but they won this one in spite of his overall play.

Yeah.  We won because of Sutton and and Emmitt Thomas.  The techniques of jarring the ball lose and creating turnovers won that game.  19 points on offense sucks.

Yeah.  We won because of Sutton and and Emmitt Thomas.  The techniques of jarring the ball lose and creating turnovers won that game.  19 points on offense sucks.

Most of them being off those said turnovers was the most jarring thing. 

The protection didn't do him a lot of favors, but.......there's just nothing there on Foles when I look at a starting QB. 

It's time for the Chiefs to spend some real draft currency on a passer.  Enough of this Day 3 project shit.

Foles had a very Smith-like game. Didn't do anything to win it, didn't do anything to lose it. 20-33 187 yards 1 TD 0 INTS.  I won't resort to any excuses.  I was hoping for a lot more. Defense gave up way too much rush yards against a terrible team. They even let Bortles look decent a couple of times. But when needed, they got the turnovers and are responsible for this win. Going to need them next week. 6-2.... I'm pleased regardless of how we got there. :)

Most of them being off those said turnovers was the most jarring thing. 

The protection didn't do him a lot of favors, but.......there's just nothing there on Foles when I look at a starting QB. 

It's time for the Chiefs to spend some real draft currency on a passer.  Enough of this Day 3 project shit.

Yep

Foles had a very Smith-like game. Didn't do anything to win it, didn't do anything to lose it. 20-33 187 yards 1 TD 0 INTS. I won't resort to any excuses. I was hoping for a lot more. Defense gave up way too much rush yards against a terrible team. They even let Bortles look decent a couple of times. But when needed, they got the turnovers and are responsible for this win. Going to need them next week. 6-2.... I'm pleased regardless of how we got there. :)

Very smith like indeed

The Chiefs won so we all went home happy, but this was one of the worst performances I've seen in Arrowhead in years.  No offensive consistency, no running game, giving up 200+ yards on the ground and probably more than that in the air.  Foles missed open receivers even when not pressured, Gaines got torched, Peters got burned.  JAX did everything to give the game to the Chiefs and the Chiefs still almost blew it.  Four turnovers should be enough to beat any team.  Three resulted in Chiefs scores and one took one away from the Jags.  The Jags dropped two sure interceptions and gave up a long punt return.  No way can Foles be considered a starter.  No way can the Chiefs win in CAR or DEN with this kind of play.   Not sure what the fix is.  Maybe when Smith and Ware are in and Houston returns, the Chiefs can be considered a playoff team.  Today they were not.

And then, Mark Sanchez passes one pass for 8 yards and has a 99.9 rating and Joe Flacco's back up passes one pass for 9 yards and has a 1.3 rating. Sanchez's team won 35 to 10 and so it was clearly done in garbage time before he had kneel downs. Flacco's back up played in a 21 to 14 when where the game was close.

Obviously, one pass wouldn't affect ratings very much, I just thought it was interesting that there was an 99.9 to 1.3 comparison in a blowout versus a close game with only one yard difference. I thought the rating system was supposed to reward close games play. I didn't look at the play-by-play so I don't know when it happened I just assumed it was at the end. Either way, the Baltimore game had to be close throughout.

I agree with you.  It will be close.  Scary close.  The Jags have better lines than we think. They have rookies who are playing very well.  With our injuries, our strong suit this weekend is our special teams, and the Arrowhead noise to disrupt their pedestrian QB.  But a couple of unfortunate turnovers could hand us an embarrassing loss.  We have to hang on to the football and try to play like we are desperate.  The loss of Smith, Ware, Maclin is a big deal. There isn't THAT much difference between NFL teams.  Thanks to Indy for their rock-hard excuse for a football field.  Quick passes to Kelce.  Big pass rush from Chris Jones, Hali, and Ford should still give us an edge.  But anyone expecting a blowout is living in a dream world.  Reid will lay as low as possible while still winning, in order to get his team healed up.

As has been the case many times over the years, you were right and I was wrong.

A win is a win, so we should all be happy today. However, the way the defense got pushed around yesterday is a bit concerning. The offense will be fine when Smith, Ware and Maclin are all back on the field. Losing Kelce in the third didn't help either.

I have more respect today for Jacksonville than I expected to have. They have a ton of team speed and if not for a couple timely turnovers would have exited Arrowhead yesterday with a win.

As has been the case many times over the years, you were right and I was wrong.

A win is a win, so we should all be happy today. However, the way the defense got pushed around yesterday is a bit concerning. The offense will be fine when Smith, Ware and Maclin are all back on the field. Losing Kelce in the third didn't help either.

I have more respect today for Jacksonville than I expected to have. They have a ton of team speed and if not for a couple timely turnovers would have exited Arrowhead yesterday with a win.

I am elated that we escaped.  Our run blocking has been terrible, even with Ware this season.  West needs holes to be effective at all, and they have not been there.  Ware has blasted his way through a few times.  The thing that makes me feel good about that aspect is that Reid always seems to get the O-line coordinated by the second half of a season.  Maclin worries me.  Even when not injured, he hasn't been really great all year.  He  has even dropped some.  Tyreek Hill has been a savior.  The defense is going to get us through, especially when Houston gets back.  Talk about being totally wrong,  I declared Ford a bust a few weeks ago and gave a long winded explanation of why.  In terms of evaluating players, I suck.  But I do have a feel for team play and team match ups. Right now, our ST are the best in the league, and it shows how important it is.  As much as offense and defense.  Our other big strength is the way the defense have been trained to be ball hawks and swarm, to force fumbles and recover them.  They are always around the ball. On offense, the biggest injury loss has been Ware.  We need a better blocking scheme and maybe bring up Reaves.  We are going to have to control the ball with running to keep the great QB's in the playoffs off the field. Right now, we don't have that.  We'd better get it.  Maclin needs to be honest about his groin.  Wanting to play is admirable, but not if a painful groin is slowing you down, and it doesn't serve the team to tell the docs that you feel fine when you don't, simply to stay on the field. It makes the injury nagging and season-destroying and is unfair to everyone else.  I think it has been going on most of the season and explains why he is not getting open.  Now, he may have a long-lasting injury. He might need weeks to heal up, but he has to be honest with the docs. Great players don't just lose it all of a sudden.  His problem has been pain.  He hides it.  It cost us against the Pats in the playoffs last season.

The Jags had a new OC that declared he was going to revitalize the running game and he sure did that.  Somehow, the Chiefs couldn't adjust to it until late in the game when JAX was passing to catch up.  This may have been an occasion when the Chiefs staff was out coached.  One other thing that stood out was that the tackling wasn't crisp.  Way too many yards after contact and several bad whiffs.  It seemed that every Jag first down play went for nine or more yards.  Lots of times, the Chiefs had two down linemen and the Jags took advantage.  We sure miss Bailey.  Gaines may be better than White, but he's no Albert Lewis.  The Chiefs may still be looking for that second shut down corner.  Write this one off to too many injuries and poor planning.   But it's a win and the Chiefs have bounced back twice before after poor performances this season.  A win in CAR would be bonus points and even a loss is a chance to get Houston worked back in and hopefully Ware back in the mix.  Good time to enforce the 24 hour rule.

I don't have NFL Game Pass this year. Too much going on. So, I won't be able to watch it in detail. It seemed the pass blocking was adequate. Foles moved up in the pocket to give himself more time. Although Smith is more athletic, Foles seems to have better pocket presence. The OL seemed to have issues opening holes. Ware may have been able to make chicken soup out of that chicken poop, but I am not even sure of that. Hill made some incredible plays where I saw none there. He is an extraordinary talent.

I did not isolate players on the line. I wonder who will be injured. It seemed the Chiefs got no push up the middle. Perhaps others will be able to report how and who was responsible for the negative plays on the offensive line.

Morse has been real down this year and Fulton was dominated a lot. The blocking designs also didn't seem real effective, either.

Guys were not accounted for, quite a bit, on running downs.

At least he's not racking up concussions. Maybe he's not fully engaged out of fear of another one..?

It will take a few days to see the Chiefs' injury log. I wondered if he may have been injured early in the game. There was absolutely no push on the left side. The run that sealed the game, came on a run to the right side where LDT made an impressive block. Even so, the hole was not large. For all the complaints, West did what he could. I did not see any runs where he took the wrong route, or went down easy. There were simply no openings

Archived