Houston & Maclin Out this Week

Just as well. May be better to get the walking wounded healed even if it means a loss. 

Chiefs OLB Justin Houston (knee) will be inactive for Week 10 against the Panthers.

Houston had been expected to play this week after being activated from injured reserve on Wednesday. Instead he'll sit out in hopes of debuting next week versus Tampa Bay. Houston was a limited participant at practice this week.

I had assumed that Houston was not going to play, that Maclin was going to be limited or a decoy, and I wasn't sure about Howard. But knowing that all three of them are gone, my worry that we would lose has turned to me thinking we are probably going to lose.

If we had NOT known that these three were out until gametime, I would make a prediction that we would lose. However, since we made the decision earlier, I would have to assume that we are going to adjust in someway and that could help us. Of course, that will help them knowing who is out, as well.

I feel a gametime scratch if we didn't know would be worse for us than the benefit to them of knowing early.

No Bailey, no Howard, no Houston, no Mauga, no March.  That's a lot missing from a D that got run over last week.

No Maclin, no Ehlinger.

If the Chiefs manage to win this one, it will be a huge bonus.  Let's just hope some of the walking wounded come back for next week and especially for the following one.

It's a MASH unit out there. How is it we are so beat up? Is it just me or is something going on? And Houston not playing makes me a little suspicious. All the talk was he was good to go. So he can't even play in the game on a set number of snap counts just to ease him back in? He's not ready? Frustrating.

I'd say at the beginning of the season most of us had this game down as a loss. With Carolina seemingly shrugging off the super bowl hangover I think the Chiefs are in for a rough day. The games they must win are against the other teams in the AFC west and those are just around the corner.

Again, can Smith pull out the win, like he is known for, and shut up doubters?!

whenever he plays well, the Chiefs usually win. This game rests in his hands

Well,  I suppose, but Smith would play better with the starting five on the O-line, Ware at full speed, and Maclin to throw to.  He'd have a better chance to be in the game if the defense was intact so the offense could have more chances.  A few good plays by Smith could win the game, but don't expect him to do it by himself. 

Well, I suppose, but Smith would play better with the starting five on the O-line, Ware at full speed, and Maclin to throw to. He'd have a better chance to be in the game if the defense was intact so the offense could have more chances. A few good plays by Smith could win the game, but don't expect him to do it by himself.

Need to put up points. Need to throw to Kelce in every possession. You know what the Chiefs miss most about Jamaal? His nact of finding the endzone. The Chiefs struggle in the red zone nowadays without him.

The defense will hold them to 30 or less, that's why I believe in the offense and Smith to put up 20 or more. I'll be happy if they do and they lose rather they only put up 10 or 14. I'm tired of the offense slacking hard this year

Once again, it seems like the conventional thinking is that the game is based on defense and offense.  Most forget that there are three phases.  The other is special teams.  Panthers suck at punt coverage, and we have Tyreek Hill returning punts. Our ST are #1 in the league, I think.  We are likely to have to travel less distance than they will on most possessions.

I'm not with the gloom and doomers.  Ware and Alex are back.  Peters is due for an interception.  Currently we are +14 in turnovers, and they are -6. Kelce is mad, which could be good. Alex may run more. Ford is emerging.  Chris Jones is a big force.  We have good depth.   If we lose, we go into a home game  with a record of 6-3 with Houston back full and with some guys rested and healed up more.  If we win, the same thing happens, except we are 7-2 and on top of the division.  I know we will win the following week at Arrowhead, because I will be there. Ya can't win 'em all, but we have a shot at this one.

Archived