Panther Game Thread

Nope. The Chiefs won on the backs of their defense today. That can happen in a down game for the quarterback.

If your objective is to define a quarterback by one of his weaker games after coming back from injury, you've already lost me.

I'm glad to see the team win in spite of a poorer day by Smith, but it's not like you could define most of Smith's games as 'won by the defense'. And Smith was missing his best receiver today. Other quarterbacks picked apart the Panthers' cornerbacks with the likes of Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders, Julio Jones, Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, and Larry Fitzgerald. Smith had Albert Wilson. If not for a big day by Tyreek Hill (who is in no way a top-end receiver), Smith's day would have been even worse.

But, no, I'm not going to get into a slap fight over one game under these circumstances.

7-2

Thanks for clearing that up.

Hey, I am just glad that we got the win.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think a Reid second half game plan by the Panthers would've beaten us? I mean, I don't blame them for Peters strip of the ball, even though some people could see that as being similar to Charles' fumble against the Broncos last year.

And the interception by Newton returned for a touchdown, could be defended by saying that playing not to lose does not win games. But I think in this case, they could've possibly just run the clock out enough to beat us. I didn't understand the aggressiveness.

Of course, if we had still won and they had been trying to run out clock, they would say that conservativism lost it for them.

This team deserves a better QB

He sure missed some and didn't even see Kelce for an easy touchdown. Can you imagine what it would be like if we had someone truly great?  I am sure he is good enough to win, but he certainly is not GREAT.

But some guys simply didn't catch completely catchable balls right in their hands.  Even Kelce on that low ball.  Demetrius Harris should be released.  I don't know how anyone could ever throw to him.  Balls thrown right into his chest bounce off like he is a storefront mannequin.  Week after week.  He is not even a football player from what I can see.  Why is he still on the team?

Smith did not play bad at all. He under three the Hill pass, but damn. You want to take chances down field, this stuff happens. Make up your mind. He throw a perfect over the should pass to Albert that went right through his hands. A short one to Harris. He hit Kelley a smudge low on a 20 yard pass the went through his hands.

The difference was the line play. Their line played better than ours especially on running plays. But we had Roaches and Reyes out there. That is tough.

We found a way to win. That's what good teams do. I was pleasantly surprised.

Smith did not play bad at all. He under three the Hill pass, but damn. You want to take chances down field, this stuff happens. Make up your mind. He throw a perfect over the should pass to Albert that went right through his hands. A short one to Harris. He hit Kelley a smudge low on a 20 yard pass the went through his hands.

The difference was the line play. Their line played better than ours especially on running plays. But we had Roaches and Reyes out there. That is tough.

I'm not one of the Smith haters, but do think he played badly today.  Sure, there were too many drops, but Smith missed at least three opportunities to throw TD passes.  Maybe part of the problem is that Smith just trusts Maclin more than the other receivers and Kelce failed him on a critical play.  Wilson shouldn't even be on the team IMHO.  He didn't try very hard on a sure TD and except for catching a TD pass last week hasn't contributed.   

I'm not one of the Smith haters, but do think he played badly today. Sure, there were too many drops, but Smith missed at least three opportunities to throw TD passes. Maybe part of the problem is that Smith just trusts Maclin more than the other receivers and Kelce failed him on a critical play. Wilson shouldn't even be on the team IMHO. He didn't try very hard on a sure TD and except for catching a TD pass last week hasn't contributed.

My opinion is right in the middle of these two posts. You guys explained two different points of view pretty well. Cheers!

Smith had a bad game, but his receivers sure didn't help him at all. I remember saying right after the draft that not taking a WR was going to haunt them. It almost did.

All the false starts were pathetic, too.

Smith had a bad game, but his receivers sure didn't help him at all. I remember saying right after the draft that not taking a WR was going to haunt them. It almost did.

All the false starts were pathetic, too.

The Chiefs took two wide receivers, Hill and Robinson.  While Russell was a wasted pick, I'd rather have Jones and Hill than taking a WR in the second and waiting for a lineman.  With Bailey and Howard out, Jones is key.

The Chiefs took two wide receivers, Hill and Robinson.  While Russell was a wasted pick, I'd rather have Jones and Hill than taking a WR in the second and waiting for a lineman.  With Bailey and Howard out, Jones is key.

I don't think Robinson will ever amount to shit. 

Jones is fine and they should have came out of the end of Day 2 with a WR.  Choosing Russell over Braxton Miller (or Jordan Jenkins with how much the pass-rush has been lacking overall) will always leave me scratching my head.

Nope. The Chiefs won on the backs of their defense today. That can happen in a down game for the quarterback.

If your objective is to define a quarterback by one of his weaker games after coming back from injury, you've already lost me.

I'm glad to see the team win in spite of a poorer day by Smith, but it's not like you could define most of Smith's games as 'won by the defense'. And Smith was missing his best receiver today. Other quarterbacks picked apart the Panthers' cornerbacks with the likes of Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders, Julio Jones, Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, and Larry Fitzgerald. Smith had Albert Wilson. If not for a big day by Tyreek Hill (who is in no way a top-end receiver), Smith's day would have been even worse.

But, no, I'm not going to get into a slap fight over one game under these circumstances.

7-2

Not worried one bit. Smith, will get back on track vs TB.

Oline still not good and no depth.......Not taking Smith off the hook but this oline is still crap. 

Oline jumped a bit, but they didnt do that bad. It was Alex playing the worst i ever seen him. He looks slow out there now.  He doesnt look like the old Alex scrambling Smith.  This cannot happen because he does not throw the ball well enough to succeed without his run game.

Defense came through when it mattered. I cant hate on that, but man, our Qb  should have lost this game for us. He was that damned bad.

Smith has no excuses for the poor throws yesterday, but someone pointed out that he was wearing a bubble helmet to further protect his head.  Could that bother him enough to throw him off his game a bit?

I didn't realize that.  I don't know how it would make him not see Kelce open or throw inaccurately, though.

Kelce should have caught that slightly low throw.  It wasn't a bad throw, really. I'm sure he feels bad about it, but its hard to come down on that guy for a rare drop.   I think Smith likes to err on the side of safety when throwing longer passes.  He would rather overthrow than get intercepted, and I agree with that.  Only occasionally does it actually sail on him, but no more than any QB, even the great ones. That one interception, in my opinion, was merely a long punt, but with a  with a possibility of a touchdown.  A punt would have ended up no better than that.  

The real problem yesterday was not poor passes, but drops.  Smith can be faulted for regularly missing wide open targets, though.  it seems to be almost once per game.  His reads are mediocre at best.  Demetrius Harris should never be targeted again and should be released at the end of the season.  His head is simply in the clouds somewhere.  I could have caught those passes.  Maybe its left-over THC from the night before, I don't know.  Maybe he is just too programmed to be catching basketballs instead of little, elongated balls.They should let Travis play more.  He can't be any worse than Harris and has upside.  I don't think Harris has any upside anymore.  I've seen enough. He should have stuck to basketball.

Albert Wilson is a complete waste of roster space.

I've thought so from the beginning.  He is quick and made a few big receptions a couple of years ago, because no one good was covering him.  He really cannot get open and is too small.

I've thought so from the beginning.  He is quick and made a few big receptions a couple of years ago, because no one good was covering him.  He really cannot get open and is too small.

It's not just his size.  He has to have the heart of Hill to go all out on every play and it's just not there.  We don't play in the NFL and shouldn't criticize for not laying out to catch a pass or to take the big hit, but it's what they get paid to do and if it's not in them, then someone else should be moved up.  The Chiefs have dodged two bullets the last two games.  It won't always work that way.  Gotta make every chance count.

Archived