• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see, I pulled up the standings on NFL.com and it showed the Chiefs on top. Guess they filter I n Division pct vs Conference.

I saw that. Yesterday, they had NE ahead of KC. I guess they hadn't figured the tie breakers right.

The big thing is the Chiefs cannot settle now. They have to win more games, win their division, and enter the playoffs healthy.

How long can the Chiefs continue to win on the backs of the defense? 19.5 points isn't going to cut it with a lot of the teams we will be facing. It's Alex's 1st game since he got clocked in Indy. So I suppose we need to see more. But how many times did he miss open receivers by either just not scanning the field or throwing it well over them? Not to mention the plays we didn't see where it looks like he has time but just doesn't see anyone open. Let's not assume there wasn't anyone open just because he didn't throw the ball. We didn't get into the red zone until the 4th quarter. How often is that going to happen and you are able to still win a game? Saying he played bad yesterday is being kind.

I have generally been an Alex Smith supporter. But he is what he is. And he will only be able to get us so far. I shudder to think what our offense would look like with Maclin, Kelce, Conley, Hill and Ware being fed with Derek Carr or Drew Brees back there. It's pretty obvious we should be in the playoffs this year. But if we don't go to at least the AFC championship game...I think the Chiefs should look at other options at QB moving forward. My opinion.

We need some homefield advantage because our defense will have to lead this team to the big game and I think they can.

we need alex smith to get his head out of his ass and played some decent football.  Im not even talking about good. Just decent. He's been so bad this year. He's had exactly 1 half of a game where he played good. The rest he's been  average at best, but average is just pushing it, since he's the 28th ranked qb.

we need alex smith to get his head out of his ass and played some decent football.  Im not even talking about good. Just decent. He's been so bad this year. He's had exactly 1 half of a game where he played good. The rest he's been  average at best, but average is just pushing it, since he's the 28th ranked qb.

If Houston comes back at 100%, maybe we can Dilfer our way to a Super Bowl win.

The options are pretty slim. We could go to Foles, but that isn't a huge difference. I would like him to scramble to throw instead of run, but for whatever reason we almost never get a completion when he gets pressured.

I think (with a few games as exceptions) he is pretty accurate. It just looks like he locks on to a WR instead of reacting to the defenses coverage. We can win with him when he is on and he has had some good games with him on. He struggles with pressure and we aren't good at keeping the pocket clean.

If Houston comes back at 100%, maybe we can Dilfer our way to a Super Bowl win.

If he keeps playing like that, we'll have to bench him. I'm confident that won't happen though. He'll get out of this slump

Smith is better than Dilfer, so we don't really need to resort to that type of talk. However, I can recognize that he isn't playing well right now.

I felt like after the San Diego game, he was dealing with some arm issues based upon the pictures of his elbow after the game. He would never say that and he could still play adequately. I am only talking about the Houston game. After the bye week he played much better, albeit against worse defenses. The type of passes were better.

This past game, I hope it was just him getting back from his head injuries. I don't think he was willing to sit out another game, but it might have been best for him. I don't think he saw it as something that would help the team for him to sit out either, so don't give me the talk about how he should deal with it or sit. He's not making excuses.

Please, don't take this as excusing his play. He doesn't have that excuse. He's playing poorly. He shouldn't miss a wide open Kelce in the end zone like he did and couple of his throws were off (and he, like other quarterbacks, have done that when healthy). I also don't mean to imply that he didn't have weaknesses in his game absent those issues. Just know he, like other QBs, has played through these things before and thankfully the defense picked up the slack.

I feel the San Diego and Oakland games were indicative of him this season more than the Panthers game. Inconsistent but can play well and we need him to play his best.

Plus, I don't go based upon the 28th in rating because that is likely yards thrown. He has only played in 7 1/2 games this year and some quarterbacks and play 10 games if they haven't had their bye yet. Taking 7 1/2 games prorated times 10 games gets him to 12 and 9 games gets him to 19th. So I think he is somewhere in between there if going based upon that rating.

Going based upon yards per attempt, I think he is better than he was on the Panthers game that dragged his numbers down a lot. So did the Steelers game, but those two games obviously should count. The Raiders game pushed it up more than he is normally. He's somewhere between those two, not the Panthers game by itself.

Smith is a smart quarterback who rarely makes mistakes, but that will only get you so far.  Its time to draft a QB and develop him seriously.  The first round should be used for that. We'll lose some defensive players in the next couple of years, but the defense will still be very good when a young QB is ready.  I assume there is something lacking in Bray or he would be the backup by now.

Smith is better than Dilfer, so we don't really need to resort to that type of talk. However, I can recognize that he isn't playing well right now.

Yes he is. Now don't get all sensitive on us. My point is Smith isn't the type of QB to take the team on his shoulders and win a game or 2 when the defense falters. We need an elite defense. And I just really wanted to use Dilfer as a verb.

we need alex smith to get his head out of his ass and played some decent football. Im not even talking about good. Just decent. He's been so bad this year. He's had exactly 1 half of a game where he played good. The rest he's been average at best, but average is just pushing it, since he's the 28th ranked qb.

I'm done talking about smith. He is average at best. I can't believe all th excuses that are made for an average qb.

I'm done talking about smith. He is average at best. I can't believe all th excuses that are made for an average qb.

I don't like/agree with the "at best" part, but he's not playing well enough to really go to bat the other way for him. I'm glad we are winning, hope he gets out of his funk, and hope he play his career best going forward this year. Yeah, that isn't elite, but I hope whatever it is that it's better than now and the best of his career.

How long can the Chiefs continue to win on the backs of the defense? 19.5 points isn't going to cut it with a lot of the teams we will be facing. It's Alex's 1st game since he got clocked in Indy. So I suppose we need to see more. But how many times did he miss open receivers by either just not scanning the field or throwing it well over them? Not to mention the plays we didn't see where it looks like he has time but just doesn't see anyone open. Let's not assume there wasn't anyone open just because he didn't throw the ball. We didn't get into the red zone until the 4th quarter. How often is that going to happen and you are able to still win a game? Saying he played bad yesterday is being kind.

I have generally been an Alex Smith supporter. But he is what he is. And he will only be able to get us so far. I shudder to think what our offense would look like with Maclin, Kelce, Conley, Hill and Ware being fed with Derek Carr or Drew Brees back there. It's pretty obvious we should be in the playoffs this year. But if we don't go to at least the AFC championship game...I think the Chiefs should look at other options at QB moving forward. My opinion.

If we had those guys would we have other guys like Houston Etc? 

7-2 this season, Won the first Playoff game since Montana.

If there is someone else out there, grab him....Just like Reid and Dorsey did with Nick Foles...

Until that day comes, saddle up with Smith...

I get it, a few folks don't like the guy.  Great.

I respect the hell out of him as he is a gamer that plays hard to WIN.

w

There have been a number of Super Bowl winners with QB's worse than Alex Smith.    There are a lot of formulas for getting there and winning, not just the "Great Quarterback" one.  I think Dorsey is showing he can do it by building a great and deep supporting cast.  Other teams can do it with a great quarterback and a fairly pedestrian supporting cast, as long as they get lucky with injuries.  There is not just one way to become  the champion.  We may have a fair or decent QB, but we have a GREAT coaching staff and general manager.  Actually, I would rather have what we have.

There have been a number of Super Bowl winners with QB's worse than Alex Smith.    There are a lot of formulas for getting there and winning, not just the "Great Quarterback" one.  I think Dorsey is showing he can do it by building a great and deep supporting cast.  Other teams can do it with a great quarterback and a fairly pedestrian supporting cast, as long as they get lucky with injuries.  There is not just one way to become  the champion.  We may have a fair or decent QB, but we have a GREAT coaching staff and general manager.  Actually, I would rather have what we have.

more often then not though, them teams had all time great defenses.

7-2 this season, Won the first Playoff game since Montana.

If there is someone else out there, grab him....Just like Reid and Dorsey did with Nick Foles...

Until that day comes, saddle up with Smith...

I get it, a few folks don't like the guy.  Great.

I respect the hell out of him as he is a gamer that plays hard to WIN.

w

i have nothing agains tSmith the person. i do with smith the QB. We seen this story before. Hell, we lived it.

Alex Smith has been in the zone, and played extremely well. He put up a lot of points against Indy in the playoffs, where we ended up losing. He did so in SF too. The issue is not whether he can play at a high level. No, it is whether he can be consistent at a high levl of play.

Alex Smith is just not clicking right now. Some of his misses were actually drops. So, even though he wildly threw a few passes away, he did make some nice passes. The real issue are the points he could have put up if he hit the right target. The Chiefs had opportunities. Several players were wide open, but Smith was not able to identify them.

In 2.5 seconds, you really don't have much time to view the field. In general, you have to go off your instincts. This is where Smith fails. Instead, Alex goes rigidly through the progressions. The third progression may me there, but Smith only gets to two, maybe two.

If you were to examine how Alex plays vs Rodgers, it would be apparent Rodgers shifts his body, moves his feet, and in able to find players open, while Alex does not. His footwork is good for a designed, predetermined location. If that throw is not there, Smith tends to bug out. The rules actually support this. While moving outside the tackle box splits the field in half, it also allows Smith to throw the ball away safely if no one is open. Unfortunately, Smith gives up too early, and there generally is a place to go with the ball. However, Smith is too busy running for his life, in general.

Archived