• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The amount of teams that win with mediocre QB play is far less than the teams that win with great QB play.

Even Flacco and Eli had a great stretch in the playoffs to win it.

The teams that win with mediocre defenses is less than those with very good defenses. Smith is better than Peyto last year. Better than Eli. Better than Big Ben's performance in his first SB win. Defense and running the ball are pretty important. I am more worried abaout Oline than anything.

Bucs have an opportunistic defense. They're a little soft against the pass, but their run defense is stout. One of their starting safeties was in camp for the Chiefs and got cut. Likely will match up w Kelce. Should be an ideal matchup for the Chiefs.

The teams that win with mediocre defenses is less than those with very good defenses. Smith is better than Peyto last year. Better than Eli. Better than Big Ben's performance in his first SB win. Defense and running the ball are pretty important. I am more worried abaout Oline than anything.

I wouldn't say better than Eli. He owned Tom Brady twice in the SB. Had a few great playoff runs.

I wouldn't say better than Eli. He owned Tom Brady twice in the SB. Had a few great playoff runs.

I dunno if I would say Eli owned Brady. In the first SB the giants D owned Brady but Eli and him finished pretty close in yards.

Eli for the most part was pretty average during that first playoff run.

Uh, I never said it wasn't. The key is to have a good, balanced squad. That's why I suggested all year long that the Chiefs spent more money and higher draft choices on the offense.

Outside of Fisher, all of the top picks have been Defense.

To the Chiefs offense and Alex Smith's credit Carolina has completely shut down Drew Brees and the NO offense thus far. Maybe Alex Smith and the offense can have a breakout game against TB. We can only hope - we need some kind of rhythm going into Denver.

The Saints lost because Brees gave up two turnovers early in the game. Smith's interception was less like a turnover and more like a punt. In any case, I'd rather have Smith than Brees. A lot of people will take issue with that, but when was the last time Brees was in the playoffs?

The Saints lost because Brees gave up two turnovers early in the game. Smith's interception was less like a turnover and more like a punt. In any case, I'd rather have Smith than Brees. A lot of people will take issue with that, but when was the last time Brees was in the playoffs?

Holy shit.... this is the craziest post I've ever seen on this website

64,000 yards passing

450 touchdowns

Career rating of 96

And a super bowl

And a multitude of NFL RECORDS

Seems pretty understandable to me

madness

His team is hurting right now. Their OL is a mess. They have had trouble with the defense for quite a while. Brees has to put up big numbers in order to have a shot. He was a small kid out of Texas, who was overlooked, despite great HS numbers. Instead of riding the pines, and walking on, he took a shot at Purdue, in Lafayette, Indiana. There, he got a chance to play, and his head coach was one of the best quarterback coaches at the collegiate level. San Diego traded their #1 pick away to Atlanta (Mike Vick), and took LaDainian Thomlinsom with Atlanta's 4th overall pick. San Diego was lucky to find Drew Brees with their first pick in the second round.

The Chiefs traded their first round pick to St Louis for Trent Green. They also got a kicker, who was born in Scotland.

Drew Brees' issue has always been lack of height. In the game against Carolina, Brees got several passes knocked down. He moves well within the pocket. He was quite a scrambler in college, and lots of people thought he could not make it in the NFL, although his college career was somewhat magical. Brees is much more accurate than Smith. It isn't even close. Smith is currently more athletic, but Brees has better pocket presence. Despite his size, Brees has stayed healthy (for the most part), and survived 16 seasons.

Brees over Smith by a long shot.

Brees is much more accurate than Smith. It isn't even close.

I have to take issue with this. You're presumably granting Brees the accuracy title based on pass completion percentage, but he also throws interceptions at a higher rate, and the picks he throws tend to be more damaging. Is "accuracy" at the expense of a substantial increase in interceptions really accuracy?

I have to take issue with this. You're presumably granting Brees the accuracy title based on pass completion percentage, but he also throws interceptions at a higher rate, and the picks he throws tend to be more damaging. Is "accuracy" at the expense of a substantial increase in interceptions really accuracy?

He can throw into a smaller window. Because of this, he falls in love with his arm, and tosses a few more INTs. Still, it is close. Brees throws one pick for every 40 attempts. Smith tosses one Int for 45 attempts. Comparing the yards gained v int is closer. Brees goes down the field for 302 yards for every pick, where as Smith racks up 304 yards for every interception

Really, there isn't much difference in INT %. The biggest issue is the TD %. Drew Brees tosses 35% more TD per attempt than Alex Smith. Finally, in yards per game, and TD per game, it isn't close. Even though Brees throws 45% more times than Alex Smith, he is nearly as accurate.

Smith throw an average of 45% fewer yards per game, and 78% fewer touchdowns, per game.

Drew Brees is a more accurate QB, but he also takes a few more TD shots than Alex Smith.

He can throw into a smaller window. Because of this, he falls in love with his arm, and tosses a few more INTs. Still, it is close. Brees throws one pick for every 40 attempts. Smith tosses one Int for 45 attempts. Comparing the yards gained v int is closer. Brees goes down the field for 302 yards for every pick, where as Smith racks up 304 yards for every interception

Really, there isn't much difference in INT %. The biggest issue is the TD %. Drew Brees tosses 35% more TD per attempt than Alex Smith. Finally, in yards per game, and TD per game, it isn't close. Even though Brees throws 45% more times than Alex Smith, he is nearly as accurate.

Smith throw an average of 45% fewer yards per game, and 78% fewer touchdowns, per game.

Drew Brees is a more accurate QB, but he also takes a few more TD shots than Alex Smith.

And is a first ballot HOF

Even though Brees throws 45% more times than Alex Smith, he is nearly as accurate.

So you're saying that Smith gets no credit for the short-yardage rushing touchdowns that get called because the Chiefs' offensive line is poor in pass protection? Sounds fair to me.

At least we addressed the accuracy bit. There is far more to accuracy than completion percentage, especially when you factor in drops.

Archived