• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we have 3-4 games to get him up to speed? Next three are:

Denver

Atlanta

Oakland

I don't think we should wait and see. We know it works with Ford over there right now. Next year Houston can go back imo.

Maclin was a big loss, but he hasn't done much this season. The problem is not with Maclin, or the other receivers, it is with Alex Smith. Smith is out of sync. Wilson was open on numerous plays. Smith just is not seeing things well. He needs to have the game slow down for him. That takes reps. Getting hurt set Smith back.

I am not 100% Alex Smith was not hurt more than they are letting on. The official word was he never sustained a concussion. I don't believe that. The concussion protocol was strict three years ago. Since then, teams, and players have learned how to work around the rules. First, they delay the moment the player is checked out. By giving players more time to clear the cobwebs, they can get by. Second, the players know to set a lower baseline. When tested, they can do close enough to their baseline, and stay in the game. 

Maclin was a big loss, but he hasn't done much this season. The problem is not with Maclin, or the other receivers, it is with Alex Smith. Smith is out of sync. Wilson was open on numerous plays. Smith just is not seeing things well. He needs to have the game slow down for him. That takes reps. Getting hurt set Smith back.

I am not 100% Alex Smith was not hurt more than they are letting on. The official word was he never sustained a concussion. I don't believe that. The concussion protocol was strict three years ago. Since then, teams, and players have learned how to work around the rules. First, they delay the moment the player is checked out. By giving players more time to clear the cobwebs, they can get by. Second, the players know to set a lower baseline. When tested, they can do close enough to their baseline, and stay in the game.

Yep. No more supporting cast bs excuses.

Yep. No more supporting cast [issues].

I don't think anyone used those reasons this year. As a team, injuries have hurt. In other years, as a team, supporting cast was an issue. Just like one is not paranoid if the fears are true; they are not excuses if they indeed hurt the team. This year, I don't see those as reasons, Smith needs to consistently step up like the Chargers and Raiders games. Smith doesn't need things perfect, but things were far from perfect. (That includes Smith, of course.)

It's not Alex guys. It's the scheme and the play calling. It's different than it used to be. Where are the HB screens to West? Where is Sherman and the I-Formation? Where are the drag and crossing routes? Why isn't Alex leading the league in QB rushing yards like he did the last several years. What I see is far too much forcing the ball. Forcing it to Hill on screens all the time. Forcing it downfield to Conley. Too many comebacks and nothing goes across the middle. This isn't the same offense. You can bash Alex if you want but the change in offensive coordinators is obvious to me.

Hopefully, the Tampa loss will spark some creativity.

Alex isn't rushing a lot because the opportunities aren't there anymore.

Teams got smart and realized that he sucks when he can't scramble and he might be losing his AA.

Ehh, he doesn't suck but is missing a good part of his game. And the other part is harder to do without it. He'll turn it around and we'll draft someone to groom.

This is Alex. He isn't turning anything any differently.

Either way, Alex doesn't suck and he will play better than he has. And I know you disagree so we should leave it just at that, but I believe we can win with whatever correction he makes in his play due to our team. If he continued to play like he has, then I don't think we would win. But again, agree to disagree.

Either way, Alex doesn't suck and he will play better than he has. And I know you disagree so we should leave it just at that, but I believe we can win with whatever correction he makes in his play due to our team. If he continued to play like he has, then I don't think we would win. But again, agree to disagree.

Classy

Never said he sucked.

Never said he sucked.

Referring to liquidfriend's assertion that teams knew he sucked when they took his legs away. I responded to him that he didn't suck but it is a big part of his game and he'll turn things around to be complimentary to his team. You said he is what he is, not turning anything, which I don't disagree that he is what he is, but disagree in that he won't turn it around. I feel that we can win with him and should draft someone long-term. I didn't want to argue that.

My fault for the quoting without explaining.

Referring to liquidfriend's assertion that teams knew he sucked when they took his legs away. I responded to him that he didn't suck but it is a big part of his game and he'll turn things around to be complimentary to his team. You said he is what he is, not turning anything, which I don't disagree that he is what he is, but disagree in that he won't turn it around. I feel that we can win with him and should draft someone long-term. I didn't want to argue that.

My fault for the quoting without explaining.

I'm sure it seems that way because I'm not pro smith

I've always said he's average

The NFL made an assessment, and determined running quarterbacks were getting an unfair advantage. So, they made a point of emphasis out of treating a QB the same as a running back, when they got out of the pocket.

Alex Smith is getting older, and it is likely the Chiefs did nit want to expose him to injury. Smith is near to the end of his contract. I doubt he was eager to take chances either.

Because Smith no longer runs as much, teams can defend him more straightforward. If the Chiefs call an option, they know Smith is likely to pitch rather than keep it. When he opted to keep it, he got blasted.

I'm sure it seems that way because I'm not pro smith

I've always said he's average

I have felt that with his running ability, he was 11 to 15 with occasional top 10 play (Indy game; Niners-Saints ending). Without his running, he was 14-18, but inconsistent, which might push him lower than 18. Some of that is due to acknowledgement of scheme, game situations of running clock, pre-snap reads that recognized running plays to check into, supporting cast (which I know can be overstated but I haven't used this year), etc.

But this year, outside of second half SD game, Raiders game, part of the Colts game, he's been playing poorly, but that can be overstated, too - like the TB game was correctly docked for his bad red zone INT, but ignored his 40 yarders.

It's been frustrating because I know much of it is him, some of its defensive adjustments to his running, much of it is play calling or lack of possessions, but I feel they will figure out an effective way to adjust and believe they will draft a QB this year and let Smith groom or earn hypothetical the spot for the rest of his contract or cut ties.

The NFL made an assessment, and determined running quarterbacks were getting an unfair advantage. So, they made a point of emphasis out of treating a QB the same as a running back, when they got out of the pocket.

I have no problem with this in principle. Problems arise when the slide gets effectively taken away because defenders drop their shoulder from four yards out and leave their feet so that any penalizing of a hit against a "late" slide becomes unfair. Meanwhile, quarterbacks in the pocket get blown up two seconds after the ball is out of their hand, and the result is only a 15-yard Unnecessary Roughness penalty. It's one of the most unsafe positions to play, and that's the case even if your offensive line is semi-trustworthy in pass protection.

Archived