Must move on to Denver

Terrible lost due to terrible performance. No, we cannot pin this solely on one side of the ball. Both the offense and defense were disappointing. Special teams was not a factor besides the made field goals by Santos. 

Offense -

I'm sorry Alex Smith, but you're good because you play mistake-free football and don't force turnovers while completing several passes. You had a good game besides that interception at the goal line, which ultimately lost us the game. We didn't need a touchdown in that particular moment. A field goal would have given us the lead. You threw a pass only a rookie would make, and cost us the game. 

Andy Reid, the first drive was beautiful until we reached the redzone, where you refused to feed the ball to Ware, and instead dialed up a jetsweep to a tightend who was just injured the previous play. Settling for a fieldgoal after that beautiful drive set the tone for the offense the rest of the game, and that tone was this - we are not playing to win; we are playing not to lose, and have our defense carry us like it has been. They later went on to not convert on 3rd and short, on back to back drives. At home? Unacceptable 

Defense -

I understand the injuries, but this was Houston's season debut. I'm sure most of us were not expecting him to come out and be much of a factor, but his presense should have been the fuel. Unfortunately, there was no spark. Winston dissed the Arrowhead crowd, and came out throwing left and right with very little pressure. They were converting 3rd down after 3rd down. There was no compensation for an injured Peters. He had too much time on almost every throw. However, as disappointing as the defense was today, they still held them to under 20 points, which is the only stat that should matter. Yes, there was only one forced punt, but their job is to keep the other team from scoring. They did that, inadequately. Also, they didn't stop them at that final drive to give the offense a chance, and that too was heartbreak. However, the lack of offensive production put them in that position, and that's just asking too much every week. That being said, it was up to the offense to score at least 20, and they failed short.

Moving forward.. I said they needed to win-out to secure home-field advantage. Today, they proved why that's not possible. Unless they somehow find their rhythm, we'll be playing on the road come January. But perhaps it's a good thing the Chiefs got this loss out of the way. Perhaps it's a good thing they finally lost at home to an inferior NFC team than to an inferior team in their conference. It's time to move on from this disappointment and focus on Denver. They'll need Maclin, Peters, and Ford. Let's hope they all recover in time for next week. The Chiefs must remember this loss and take it out on Denver next Sunday night. The offense got into a little bit a rhythm at the end of the game, so let's hope they get Maclin back and continue that flow to CO. The defense should feel what happened today, and smash their anger and heartache into a rookie QB and show the nation who the Chiefs really are, because we have still yet to see their true character. It's time to see what this team is all about, coming off a home loss, and battling for first place in the West. Let's wait til Sunday night to put a stamp on this team. Faith is a game away 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy Reid, the first drive was beautiful until we reached the redzone, where you refused to feed the ball to Ware, and instead dialed up a jetsweep to a tightend who was just injured the previous play. Settling for a fieldgoal after that beautiful drive set the tone for the offense the rest of the game, and that tone was this - we are not playing to win; we are playing not to lose, and have our defense carry us like it has been. They later went on to not convert on 3rd and short, on back to back drives. At home? Unacceptable

I was watching the game on computer and my PC froze and i had to restart the DirecTV, when it froze we were on the 2 or 3 yard line and by the time i logged back in we had 3 points...it was a WTF moment and i wanted to know how we threw away that golden scoring opportunity and now i have the answer (another damn gadget play) seriously someone needs to rip that page from andy's playbook cuz that weak ass shit ain't gonna work up in denver next week...but you are right, it sure did set the tone for a lackluster performance from the whole team

I'm sorry Alex Smith, but you're good because you play mistake-free football and don't force turnovers while completing several passes. You had a good game besides that interception at the goal line, which ultimately lost us the game. We didn't need a touchdown in that particular moment. A field goal would have given us the lead. You threw a pass only a rookie would make, and cost us the game. 

While I absolutely disagree with the "rookie" comment for two reasons (the play action ruined his ability to read properly at that place on the field, and Conley didn't sense the second defender and adjust his route accordingly), the interception did in fact represent one of the game's most disappointing plays.

I found it very disappointing that Sutton's unit gave up the field goal at the end of the second quarter. That was the beginning of my worries for the afternoon.

While I absolutely disagree with the "rookie" comment for two reasons (the play action ruined his ability to read properly at that place on the field, and Conley didn't sense the second defender and adjust his route accordingly), the interception did in fact represent one of the game's most disappointing plays.

I found it very disappointing that Sutton's unit gave up the field goal at the end of the second quarter. That was the beginning of my worries for the afternoon.

Sutton's gameplan was a disaster, no question. Phat, Alex had zero pressure on that play. The throw to Conley simply wasn't there, and like a rookie, he didn't throw it away and forced it into coverage thus turning it over. A simple out route to Conley would have been an easy TD. Bad playcalling man

Phat, Alex had zero pressure on that play. The throw to Conley simply wasn't there, and like a rookie, he didn't throw it away and forced it into coverage thus turning it over. A simple out route to Conley would have been an easy TD. Bad playcalling man

(The All-22 is forthcoming.)

We agree on everything here. It was a terrible play call, and I think Alex threw that pass without seeing the secondary. That's how you leave points on the field.

This is what this team needs. A wake up call, we can build on this. The Chiefs have yet to play a complete game. There best ball is yet to come.

They are going to need to play a complete game on sunday, as well as the thursday game after that against the raiders, i think we can achieve this but need a lot of things to go the chiefs way and we need Peters, Maclin, Ford and the running game to be there as well

Sutton's gameplan was a disaster, no question. Phat, Alex had zero pressure on that play. The throw to Conley simply wasn't there, and like a rookie, he didn't throw it away and forced it into coverage thus turning it over. A simple out route to Conley would have been an easy TD. Bad playcalling man

Let's not forget Alex missing 2 of those throws to a wide open Kelce and Conley last week. 

There is something not clicking right with Alex.  Still not sure the Indy hits aren't still a factor?

I don't see us winning at Denver. They are coming off the bye, we are really banged up, and it's at Mile High. If I were Reid I wouldn't rush anyone back for this one. We need to just take our medicine this week and look at the big picture imo.

Let's not forget Alex missing 2 of those throws to a wide open Kelce and Conley last week.

There is something not clicking right with Alex. Still not sure the Indy hits aren't still a factor?

I was more concerned with the overthrow to Kelce and Conley than the wide open Kelce. The television crew did a bad job on that. Smith was throwing the ball while Kelce was defended by two defenders and the person defending Kelce over the top ran towards Conley when Smith turned to throw. Now if Smith could have faked it to Conley and then gone to Kelce it would've been wide-open. The decision to throw the Conley was not good. It was a bad throw that gained nothing even if caught and contested.

It was a team loss. 

The Offense has to do better than 17 points at home and the Defense has to give the Offense more than 7 drives for an entire game.  Only one drive did not finish beyond the 50 yard line for the Bucs and it was the final drive when they were killing the clock.  Even that drive nearly ended beyond the 50.  That's just pathetic.

Smith was mostly at his typical dink and dunk ways, but it goes beyond him.  Andy Reid refused to really get Spencer Ware going and the Defense was so damn bad that the Offense had a total of 7 drives for the entire game.  You can't really figure out a D when they have all damn day to make adjustments on the sidelines.

Andy Reid's gameplan of not taking advantage of the weaker ends is also baffling, but not surprising and mostly amusing.

Now to circle back to Smith, his ability to see the field seems to be getting worse.  It's pretty telling that on the INT the read was already determined and he couldn't notice a very blatantly near by Chris Conte on the underneath, with help over the top to make a play on that ball.  His playing ability sucks when his scrambling ability is taken away and Defenses have been prepared for him to scramble all year.  I've said time and time again that his ability to use his wheels to move the chains will eventually erode, and so will the offensive efficiency when it does.  Starting to wonder if its already happening.

I wonder if it's a smarts thing. Andy may be a control freak and want to know where the ball is is going pre snap, but maybe it is that he knows Smith can't process that quickly.

I hear people saying Berry is up in the box too much. I think his skill set for tackling and covering TEs legit. He just can't play deep safety because his instinct is to bite on every fake or get confused as to who to help.

Maybe Smith's instinct is to roll to the right and throw it away when he faces adversity. So they give him one read and that is his guy. I would love to be a fly on the wall when Naggy, Chilly and Reid talk it through.

The fact that they always say how smart he is, makes me suspect he isn't.

There are different smarts. He finished college with a 3.7 something GPA in two years (not helped by TA's). He has absorbed several offensive systems. Steve Young said he was pretty good at pre-snap reads.

He lost vision of Conte, but they said in the press conference that Conte had been biting on play action before. So pre-snap it must have looked like he was stopping the run and he switched when Smith "lost vision."

I would love to be a fly on the wall when Naggy, Chilly and Reid talk it through.

It's when I hear "Nagy" and "Childress" that I am reminded that this Chiefs' offense isn't last year's Chiefs' offense. Nothing about the Chiefs' offensive game plans this season have really impressed me. Some of the plays have looked downright bad.

[smith] lost vision of Conte, but they said in the press conference that Conte had been biting on play action before. So pre-snap it must have looked like he was stopping the run and he switched when Smith "lost vision."

Once the All-22 comes out, we may see that Smith's view of Conte was obscured by the linemen. Or maybe not. If the defense didn't play terrible football against a mediocre offense, we wouldn't be dissecting one play as if it decided the entire game.

The Chiefs must sweep the division and can't afford to lose more than one game to be the AFCs 1 seed. These things will not happen unfortunately. Chiefs are actually a better road team than they should be but at Denver in prime time? I'll watch the game but my hopes for a victory with this offense and Alex Smiths total decline and all the injuries are dwindling.

I'd say it's probably a vision problem. He misses wide open guys all the freakin' time.

Berry needs to be providing more help over the top when the Chiefs are minus some top corners. Keeping Berry in the box isn't doing shit to stop the run.

Nah, he doesn't miss them as often as most. His problem is he can't find the open guy. Maybe that is what you meant.

I agree we need more help over the top, I just don't think that is Berry's strong suit.

The defense has been better since Berry became the high safety. The cover 1 was a mess with Kendrick Lewis in that playoff game and they fixed that problem by putting Berry at FS. Both safeties were helping the corners much of the time against Tampa. Teams aren't throwing at Berry much when he helps over the top. Sutton was giving help when he could. Parker did almost get a pick in the end zone when he was helping cover Evans. Like I said before, there were several times when Crabman had 6 seconds to throw the ball. The pass rush and the run defense are the problem. Not the corners. The secondary is like +12 in takeaways. Parker and Acker dropped picks Sunday. That doesn't happen much with our defense this year. I don't get the bitching and moaning about the secondary.

Archived