General Manager

Dak Prescott was on my charts. The DUI was an issue. He was speeding, and the test was inconclusive. I believe the case was thrown out. He had a tough experience. I believe his mother died about 3 years ago, and she was a major part of his life. I believe this DUI thing was a one off situation. He hadn't gotten in trouble before, and he was thought to have been mature beyond his age. I have made mistakes when I was young. These kids get put under a microscope. I know why teams take players off their draft charts for character issues, but they really should dig deeper. Some character flawed athletes get by without drawing attention. Others get tagged as having character issues over a couple of early misdeeds. More needs to go into the analysis, but the problem is teams are actually looking at 300 to 350 athletes and there is often no time to sort it all out.

D. Russell, and DeMarcus Robinson were taken before Dak. Russell didn't even stick with the team. For a team that took a shot on T Hill, you would like to think they did their research on Dak. Maybe not, but they weren't alone. My issues with Dak were some of his inconsistent play. However, you could tell he was a leader, and had good technique. Part of the issues may have been related to the style of ball played at Miss. State, and that they weren't good in SEC games.

Good points, E, but if the Chiefs had drafted Dak, he would be warming the bench.  If Romo hadn't been hurt, he would be warming the bench.  Maybe in two years he would have been a good starting QB for the Chiefs, but those who think the Chiefs should have grabbed him are using hindsight.

Archived