Alex Smith

I think that if there weren't so many drops in the first two drives, we may have been able to build upon something and have a better game. But when people were not catching the passes and Smith wasn't being particularly accurate, that spells disaster because then we go into a shell.

While I don't think he was playing well by any means and I cannot blame drops as the reason, I do think that it did contextualize the game against the great defense. I'm not saying those would lead to points, but it would rest the defense, get maybe a few first downs? (The defense didn't need any rest for the first few drives of the game because the game just started, but it would've helped later in the game if they had the rest and a better lead.) It would also play the field position game better. Anything was better than how we started.

Smith executed their conservative gameplan and delivered the win in the closing drives. No interceptions and no fumbles. That's the Smith we know who wins these games

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smith wins games. Yes he misses wide open WR, yes it seems to dink and dunk but at the end of the day...he his part of the locker room and the team wins with him. I am tired of hearing how bad he is. What's the alternative at this time? There are at least a half dozen teams that would die to have him. When Alex took off for that 4 yard run and went head first...that was the best thing he could of done for his confidence. You could see a different AS in the pocket and his teammates knew it.

Smith wins games. Yes he misses wide open WR, yes it seems to dink and dunk but at the end of the day...he his part of the locker room and the team wins with him. I am tired of hearing how bad he is. What's the alternative at this time? There are at least a half dozen teams that would die to have him. When Alex took off for that 4 yard run and went head first...that was the best thing he could of done for his confidence. You could see a different AS in the pocket and his teammates knew it.

Thank you. That's it right there. I've been saying that his confidence is a complete reflection of his scrambling. He needs to do that early and often - that's what gets him engaged and brings out his competitive spirit. 

Smith wins games. Yes he misses wide open WR, yes it seems to dink and dunk but at the end of the day...he his part of the locker room and the team wins with him. I am tired of hearing how bad he is. What's the alternative at this time? There are at least a half dozen teams that would die to have him. When Alex took off for that 4 yard run and went head first...that was the best thing he could of done for his confidence. You could see a different AS in the pocket and his teammates knew it.

The alternative is for the Chiefs to stop being weenies over the most important position in all of sports, and make some real investments into the position.

That's how you fix the position. Keep investing into it until you have a winner.

Stop taking another squads brokedick or trading for another teams trash. Get a guy that will be around for the next 15 years that will take your offense to new heights.

The alternative is for the Chiefs to stop being weenies over the most important position in all of sports, and make some real investments into the position.

That's how you fix the position. Keep investing into it until you have a winner.

Stop taking another squads brokedick or trading for another teams trash. Get a guy that will be around for the next 15 years that will take your offense to new heights.

I agree about drafting, going for 15 year guys. I don't agree with basing my evaluation of a player on some other GM or coach's decision or evaluation of a player in a different system or team. If another team thinks a player is secondary, it has no affect on what I think about the player.

When I say "I" I mean what I think Dorsey should do - make HIS evaluation of the player from another team, free agent, or college (where you find the 15 year guys) NOT what the other team did. Set the college guy up with a mentor or developing time if needed and give him a good team around him before he starts if you can.

Smith executed their conservative gameplan and delivered the win in the closing drives. No interceptions and no fumbles. That's the Smith we know who wins these games

Its more like Andy gives Alex what he can do.   The limited time we seen Foles he did NOT play the Check down game, he attempted more downfield passes.     There is no coach in their right mind that wants to have an offense like the Chiefs do right now.  

I think its more Andy Reid not trusting Alex.  Then come crunch time, they have no choice but to throw the ball further then 5 yards.

Anyways,  here is to hoping we stretch the field more.  So hard to move the damn ball when other teams dont worry about passing further then 5-10 yards downfield.

The limited time we seen Foles he did NOT play the Check down game, he attempted more downfield passes.

Right after the Jaguars game, I posted an article that showed that Smith and Foles threw downfield the same rate of passes since the bye week. There were more drops or defensive plays on Smith's passes but it was too small of sample size to extrapolate much.

Based on what we know of Alex and Foles in Philadelphia, I'd give Foles the benefit, but in this offense against bad teams, downfield passing was the same, check downs were the same.

Most NFL passes are within 5-10 yards of playing a scrimmage and that stated the same for Foles. It's a Reid, WCO thing, in addition to Smith being safe.

I understand what your saying. What I am saying is at this moment even next year smith is the better option if u want to win games. The window is closing and everyone knows it. I'm just tired of hearing people pissing on smith. The guy never throws his teammates or coach under the bus and shows up to play. Total team player that has a knack for winning games.

I understand what your saying. What I am saying is at this moment even next year smith is the better option if u want to win games. The window is closing and everyone knows it. I'm just tired of hearing people pissing on smith. The guy never throws his teammates or coach under the bus and shows up to play. Total team player that has a knack for winning games.

Remember a previous QB for the Chiefs who stated he couldn't throw the ball and catch it, too.  Threw his receivers under the bus.  I do disagree about the window about to close.  The older players have been hurt or not so effective and the replacements have played very well.  DJ and Hali may be about done, but they haven't been that much of a factor compared to previous seasons.  Berry and Poe may be hard to resign but that's a front office issue, not players past their primes.  Dorsey has the luxury of drafting for need and replacement rather than having to reload the roster all at once.  The window will be open for a lot more years under the present system.

Funny how most QBs are rated on wins and SBs. Smith on the other hand is rated by stats. Smith has the third best record over the past 5 years but people still want to talk about how mediocre he is.

Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees have all won a lot of games and Super Bowls but also have incredible stats. Compared to these guys he's very mediocre. But if Alex won a Super Bowl with the Chiefs, in my eyes, he'd be the greatest QB of all time. I'm a Chiefs fans not a quarterback fan

I think the window is gone after this year.

Jamaal is finished, Tamba is nearly there and DJ is right behind. 

Unless Alex stops turtling up, there is no legitimate Super Bowl chance.  222 yards passing isn't going to cut it in Pittsburgh or Foxboro.

I think the window is gone after this year.

Jamaal is finished, Tamba is nearly there and DJ is right behind.

Unless Alex stops turtling up, there is no legitimate Super Bowl chance. 222 yards passing isn't going to cut it in Pittsburgh or Foxboro.

This is fair. It doesn't state that we have no chance with Smith. It doesn't say that we are favorites. But it also gives the condition that Smith play better to have any chance.

If Alex is aggressive and takes his shots, that's when the Offense opens up. If they start attacking Vertically, the Offense comes to life.

The running lanes for him aren't there because there are at least 8 Defenders in the box and the rest of the D is right outside. They commit literally nothing, on a lot of downs, to stop a huge gain.

Take some more shots deep and the lanes will widen for him and Ware.

I've heard over and over that Andy's offense won't work and there's several years of proof when he was in Philly that it does. McNabb would eventually take that big play and make the Defense pay and open back up things underneath.

I see a young QB in the draft that has that McNabb potential.

Funny how most QBs are rated on wins and SBs. Smith on the other hand is rated by stats. Smith has the third best record over the past 5 years but people still want to talk about how mediocre he is.

its about showing that you can  put a team on your back and will them to victory. Fuck the stats. I dont look at it by stats. I look at it by the eye test. I watch the damned games.  Alex Smith doesnt do what the elite qb's do.  He simply cant.  That's just who he is.   I dont like Alex Smith as a qb for the Chiefs. I know in the end its fools gold and we have a very small chance to win in the play offs with him as a qb. Could it happen? sure, he won one, but lets be serious, that was against probalby the worst post season quarterback in the history of the NFL play offs.    

In the end, i want the Chiefs to win, that means i want Alex to succeed. I just want him to be a little more aggressive earlier in the game.   Take a few chances.   We have a damned  decent defense. they will do their job, but help them out more.

its about showing that you can put a team on your back and will them to victory. Fuck the stats. I dont look at it by stats. I look at it by the eye test. I watch the damned games. Alex Smith doesnt do what the elite qb's do. He simply cant. That's just who he is. I dont like Alex Smith as a qb for the Chiefs. I know in the end its fools gold and we have a very small chance to win in the play offs with him as a qb. Could it happen? sure, he won one, but lets be serious, that was against probalby the worst post season quarterback in the history of the NFL play offs.

In the end, i want the Chiefs to win, that means i want Alex to succeed. I just want him to be a little more aggressive earlier in the game. Take a few chances. We have a damned decent defense. they will do their job, but help them out more.

We have a Super Bowl defense with Ford and Houston healthy.

Alex Smith has a lot of faults, but he is in the top ten among NFL quarterbacks in terms of percent of passes completed. Smith was less than accurate Sunday night, and dropped from 4th to 10th, but still has a 66.2% completion averaged. A lot of those passes were glorified laterals. His passes have not gone more than 6 yards per completion. So, it is a mixed bag.

Alex Smith is gaining confidence in his receivers. As mentioned elsewhere, Tyreek Hill ranks among the top receivers in the NFL. His receiving rating is nearly perfect. Kelce has had a few drops, but Smith knows he can be counted upon to catch passes, and get additional yards after the catch. At the beginning of the year, Kelce wasn't mentioned among the top ten tight ends. He ranks third in receiving yards. It appears Kelce is warming up. In his first five games, Kelce averaged 44 receiving yards per game. The most recent 5 games, Kelce averaged nearly 80 yards per game. His trajectory seems to indicate Kelce will eclipse 1000 receiving yards this season. Before Kelce, and Hill, Smith was most comfortable throwing to Maclin. Maclin played injured, and may take a few more games before he can return. When he does return, Maclin should continue to be a force. Finally, Conley has consistently caught 3 passes for about 35 yards per game. Many of these were tough, contested receptions. It seems Smith has four very reliable targets going forward.

Three points.  Smith threw bad interceptions in Carolina and against Tampa Bay.  He had just come back from a couple of head shots.  Maclin was the receiver Smith trusted and Maclin wasn't playing.  Excuses don't matter, I know, but there may be reasons the offense has regressed the past few games.  Hill has emerged and not every opposing team will have the Donks defense.  Things are on the upside.

I'm happy we are able to post these kind of stories. If you combine San Diego and Denver, Alex had a really good game this year. ;) Needed badly both times.

Haha. I just read the headline. Will read later. I feel if we are going to make a "what's your excuse?" thread before the game is over, then we might as well post these. ;) (Yes, I have overall been disappointed in Smith this year and know his MO is tiresome and he isn't elite. I'd say limited but that word is blah.)

Archived