Alex Smith

Mellinger hit on a couple points that may have bearing on Alex Smith's problems this year. However, although he danced all around it, he whiffed on the details.

Alex Smith is a timing player. He is not a pocket passer. He prefers to run out of trouble. It's his pattern, and after 15 or 20 years you aren't likely to make a change in him or make him have a feel for the pocket.

I mentioned something about Alex being a timing player. What that means is he has to get into a groove to perform. He has a mind that demands him to think things out. That is in contrast with his need to let it go, and play with his instincts. It must be hard for him to let go.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three points.  Smith threw bad interceptions in Carolina and against Tampa Bay.  He had just come back from a couple of head shots.  Maclin was the receiver Smith trusted and Maclin wasn't playing.  Excuses don't matter, I know, but there may be reasons the offense has regressed the past few games.  Hill has emerged and not every opposing team will have the Donks defense.  Things are on the upside.

passed few? its been like 5 games.  Alex has been bad outside the end of the Chargers game and the end of the Broncos game.   He's had like 3 good quarters of football, possibly 4 and thats where it completely ends.

OUr defense will give up yards, but they will hold when it matters for the most part.   he just has to start opening up a little earlier and at least make the defense defend more then just  the 7 or so yards in front of them.  There is absolutely 0 threat  the chiefs are going to throw downfield.  You dont even have to gameplan for it at all. EVER

Smith was pretty average yesterday in Atlanta.

w

That pass he missed to Ware is exactly why I can't get behind him 100%.  If you can't make the hard throws you ABSOLUTELY can't miss the easy ones.  The loss would have sat square on his shoulders for that one.  

Thanks to Berry all is forgiven.  

passed few? its been like 5 games.  Alex has been bad outside the end of the Chargers game and the end of the Broncos game.   He's had like 3 good quarters of football, possibly 4 and thats where it completely ends.

OUr defense will give up yards, but they will hold when it matters for the most part.   he just has to start opening up a little earlier and at least make the defense defend more then just  the 7 or so yards in front of them.  There is absolutely 0 threat  the chiefs are going to throw downfield.  You dont even have to gameplan for it at all. EVER

After the first drive yesterday, would you like to revise your feelings?  Unless Smith is calling the plays, don't blame him for not throwing beyond the sticks.  True, ATL has a poor pass defense, but averaging nearly 11 yards per attempt is doing the job well.  Reid and Smith do what it takes to win and that's the bottom line.

After the first drive yesterday, would you like to revise your feelings? Unless Smith is calling the plays, don't blame him for not throwing beyond the sticks. True, ATL has a poor pass defense, but averaging nearly 11 yards per attempt is doing the job well. Reid and Smith do what it takes to win and that's the bottom line.

I didn't like it when somebody posted an I told you so post before the Denver game was over gloating and antagonizing people. I don't like this either. There are no camps here. We all agree on long term QB being drafted, most agree that we can win if the team is clicking, etc.

His strengths and weaknesses are the same before and after these games. His strengths are often dismissed (can play clutch, is mobile even if it isn't used much, ball control) and his weaknesses overstated. His perceived strengths (winning!) are often drawn from his team succeeding (defense, running, coaching) and his weaknesses are often exacerbated by his teammates (drops, fumbles, oline, playcalls).

Kelce had more than half of the receiving yards yesterday. His YAC is impressive but Alex did throw down field to him. Wilson has stepped up recently. Conley had that missed play but overall he's been effective. Hill is the real deal. Maclin needs to get out of the training room. Ware & West out of the backfield. A lot of weapons to choose from. O-line has improved. Defense gives up some yards but is lights out when needed in the crunch. If Alex keeps pushing the ball, no telling what this team can do.

I didn't like it when somebody posted an I told you so post before the Denver game was over gloating and antagonizing people. I don't like this either. There are no camps here. We all agree on long term QB being drafted, most agree that we can win if the team is clicking, etc.

His strengths and weaknesses are the same before and after these games. His strengths are often dismissed (can play clutch, is mobile even if it isn't used much, ball control) and his weaknesses overstated. His perceived strengths (winning!) are often drawn from his team succeeding (defense, running, coaching) and his weaknesses are often exacerbated by his teammates (drops, fumbles, oline, playcalls).ut

It's not gloating or an "I told you so" to disagree about the value of having Smith at QB of this team.  Sure, we'd all like the second coming of Elway or Manning to lead the team, but that doesn't happen often.  More teams are looking for their next QB than have one better than Smith.  My only point, and I've been consistent, is that Smith wins most of the games.  With a healthy team, that could be enough to go far in the playoffs.  I don't get how bashing Smith is helpful or even accurate.

If Alex throws for 270 yds and 1 TD we talk about what a great game he had. If Rodgers, Brees or Brady throw for 270 yds and 1 TD everybody starts asking what's wrong with them. They average well over 270 a game. This is not a knock on Alex but a compliment to the rest of the Chiefs team. If those guys throw for those numbers, there's a good chance they'll lose. Chiefs are doing it with all around team play. All phases.

If Alex throws for 270 yds and 1 TD we talk about what a great game he had. If Rodgers, Brees or Brady throw for 270 yds and 1 TD everybody starts asking what's wrong with them. They average well over 270 a game. This is not a knock on Alex but a compliment to the rest of the Chiefs team. If those guys throw for those numbers, there's a good chance they'll lose. Chiefs are doing it with all around team play. All phases.

270 or 500 or 150, I liked the 10.8 YPA, the win, and the fact that we had 7 plays more than 20 yards with some 20 BEFORE YAC. I understand that Smith gets the benefit of relativity, but it's still good, eh?

Actually, Smith throws for 270 with a TD and has a good game and we say nothing.

That was the point.  The only time we hear anything about Smith is when 1 of 3-4 folks bash the guy.

Like a few have said, Smith is a "good" QB.  He is not great by any stretch.  But he was definitely worth what the Chiefs paid and he has been solid.

If the Colts want to trade Andrew Luck, I hope KC is first in line.  But that is not going to happen.

We should generate a list of all the QB's the Chiefs have drafted over the past decades and check the success rate on that.

I can tell you right now, its pretty ugly.  I was happy to see Reid just went and got Foles after Daniel left.

All the backups were crap.  Chiefs should keep drafting and keep looking for the next franchise QB for sure.  They are not easy to find.

w

Actually, Smith throws for 270 with a TD and has a good game and we say nothing.

That was the point.  The only time we hear anything about Smith is when 1 of 3-4 folks bash the guy.

Like a few have said, Smith is a "good" QB.  He is not great by any stretch.  But he was definitely worth what the Chiefs paid and he has been solid.

If the Colts want to trade Andrew Luck, I hope KC is first in line.  But that is not going to happen.

We should generate a list of all the QB's the Chiefs have drafted over the past decades and check the success rate on that.

I can tell you right now, its pretty ugly.  I was happy to see Reid just went and got Foles after Daniel left.

All the backups were crap.  Chiefs should keep drafting and keep looking for the next franchise QB for sure.  They are not easy to find.

w

I've been harsh on Smith when I've felt he hasn't contributed whether it's a win or a loss. You could say we've won a few games in spite of him. Remember 125 yards against Cleveland last year and we had to hang on at the end for the defense to bail us out? Or Carolina this year. But I've also stepped up and praised him when he plays at an NFL level. I'm always tougher on QBs because I'm a Chiefs fan. We've had greatness at just about every position in the last 40 years except QB. Same with Dee Ford, I was starting to call him a 1st round bust because, well, he was playing like a bust. If we win the SB with Alex at QB he'll be my favorite QB of all time. The point of my above post was how talented and well balanced the team around him is.

I would take Prescott right about now.....That kid is much better than folks though he would be.

w

Better than I expected, but it sure helps playing with a dynamic RB and behind the best O-Line in the NFL.

I thought there could of been something there, before the draft.  Winning at Mississippi State is hard, and he won a lot.

Archived