Alex Smith

very good

We didn't have the ball much and we had a great YPA. It would have been 68 yards better if Smith had thrown to Ware better (minus the 24 on the time-clinching drive). We probably would have only ran the ball the last drive so it would have been 20-23, 314 yards, 13.7 YPA, 2 TDs with the fewest offensive snaps of the season. Damnit, Smith! (Said with no sarcasm, cynicism, or defense. I was madder than he was and he was upset.)

Analysis: Smith made the most of only 49 offensive snaps (a season-low for the Chiefs’ offense), completing 21 of 25 passes for 270 yards and a touchdown. Smith was terrific under pressure, according to Pro Football Focus, completing 6 of 6 passes for 95 yards, a touchdown and a perfect 158.3 quarterback rating. PFF also says Smith has a quarterback rating of 100.3 when throwing the ball in 2.5 seconds or less. His rating drops to 71.8 when he holds it longer than that, and only Miami quarterback Ryan Tannehill has a bigger drop-off among qualifying quarterbacks.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kansascity.relaymedia.com/amp/sports/spt-columns-blogs/red-zone/article119069118.html

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We didn't have the ball much and we had a great YPA. It would have been 68 yards better if Smith had thrown to Ware better (minus the 24 on the time-clinching drive). We probably would have only ran the ball the last drive so it would have been 20-23, 314 yards, 13.7 YPA, 2 TDs with the fewest offensive snaps of the season. Damnit, Smith! (Said with no sarcasm, cynicism, or defense. I was madder than he was and he was upset.)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kansascity.relaymedia.com/amp/sports/spt-columns-blogs/red-zone/article119069118.html

Where's my pal PhatalError during these glorious times for Alex? I personally think Phatal is Alex Smith so therefore is busy game planning for the Faders. Notice how he never logs on during the games? Hmmm. Someday I would like to meet Alex and ask for an autograph. Then tell him "Make it to azchief21" and watch his expression. ;)

Where's my pal PhatalError during these glorious times for Alex? I personally think Phatal is Alex Smith so therefore is busy game planning for the Faders. Notice how he never logs on during the games? Hmmm. Someday I would like to meet Alex and ask for an autograph. Then tell him "Make it to azchief21" and watch his expression. ;)

I think phatal had enough of my posts

Albert Wilson and Tamba Hali played great games in ATL. Hali, had 3 QB hits in a row on that 4th down drive - also had a sack. He is very stout against the run. Wilson, is a good STs player, blocks well in the screen game, runs quick routes, and has very underrated hands. Glad these two are contributing.

You know I have never seen them in the same place at the same time. Alex Smith and Alex Gordon look a lot alike. Hmm.

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/drives.html?sort=drives

The Chiefs are top 10 in score % of drives... though they have the 11th lowest number of drives. Their offensive pass dvoa is ranked 13th, and run dvoa is 22nd.. and they have been doing it without their #1 wideout, LG, or much of a running game.

Why FGs and not TDs?

That is the question to be asking.. and I think it goes straight to one person.. Andy Reid.

For whatever the conservative reason, Reid does not want to risk much once in the RZ, and is more willing than most HCs to settle for 3 points. I guess when the team is #1 in the turnover differential, this HC likes his chances of playing with that conservative nature.

Andy Reid does what he has to do in order to win. It is his nature to be risk averse. However, when he needs to get aggressive, he can and does. Here is a bit from NFL.com on the Atlanta game.

"This is not your father's Andy Reid. (Especially if your father is from Philadelphia.) The Chiefs' stone-faced Panda has helped lead Kansas City to a 9-3 record in part because he knows when to be aggressive. Realizing that the Chiefs needed to score big in Atlanta, he passed on a chip-shot field-goal try to attempt to convert a fourth-and-short inside the 5-yard line. The result was a touchdown.

That stood in stark contrast to Falcons coach Dan Quinn, who opted for three points twice in similar situations Sunday. When Reid lined up for his offense to go for it on fourth-and-1 in his own territory with the lead, Belichick-style, Quinn panicked and took a timeout. Reid countered with a fake-punt direct snap to Albert Wilson, who took it 55 yards for a touchdown. That is some next-level coaching-clown-suit creation."

In short, Reid trusts Alex Smith to get the job done when he needs it. His defense puts a lot of pressure on opponents which causes THEM to make mistakes. He finds no reason to push his offense to take chances when it doesn't need to do so. 9-3.

People keep making them underdogs but they keep winning, and winning on the road. You don't do that without all three components doing their job.

Apparently, Del Rio got under Smith's skin and that was a reason for the aggressive start. (11-16, 202 yards, Deep TD in first half.)

Yes, yes, relatively speaking. Smith's no gunslinger, but a chip ain't a bad thing.

But it seemed that he just continued the Atlanta game and had a high YPA that game and first Raiders game.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/larrybrownsports.com/football/alex-smith-fired-up-jack-del-rio-criticism/337688/amp

Raiders secondary is shit, but his TD pass to Tyreek was a good one.

He would of had a lot more production if he would calm the fuck down somtimes and just step up inside a relatively solid pocket. Drives me off the wall when he panics and runs off.

Throw Conley was pretty

Isn't this the way Alex should have been playing for the last 4 years? Yes and though late, I'm happy he's starting to play well.

I know he can't sustain 10+ yards per attempt games, but I would definitely like a high Y PA and high completion percentage while the offense scores. That would mean a highly efficient passing offense. I don't need him to be the one throwing touchdowns (we can run them in instead), I just need offense to score.

Hmm Wins vs Stats which would I prefer?

A me first person wants stats a team first person doesn't care about stats only wins. Smith is a team player fans tend to be "stats and wins", unfortunately they dont always work out together.

Rarely does a team win a SB with the foursome, passing game, running game, defense, and ST. Seattle was probably the last team to do it with an overall package the year they won.

Hmm Wins vs Stats which would I prefer?

A me first person wants stats a team first person doesn't care about stats only wins. Smith is a team player fans tend to be "stats and wins", unfortunately they dont always work out together.

Rarely does a team win a SB with the foursome, passing game, running game, defense, and ST. Seattle was probably the last team to do it with an overall package the year they won.

I'll take wins over stats any but some times you need stats to get wins. So stats themselves aren't important but if you're down by 2 TDs you better put some stats up, if you know what I mean.

Archived