Alex Smith

We need more of this: http://d2s3dt9f4iyeup.cloudfront.net/images/resized_v1/7f1be01f-d0ea-498c-a224-8ecc67077d0b.jpg

I understand that it was a one read directed play, but Smith doesn't do this very often with anybody else. He did it with Hill earlier in the season as well and has done similar things with Kelce and Vernon Davis. Last year there were a few with Maclin.

It seems like the last eight games of every season has been much more productive. Even in the first year where we started 9–0 and ended 11–5, those last eight games were bigger in numbers (though fewer wins).

Obviously, you do not plan on having a stagnant offense. But being aggressive or taking advantage of things you have set up throughout the year can pay off in the second half. I blame Smith and read or not executing the game plan well enough to beat Houston and Tampa Bay, but those should have worked if not for a play here and there. I was more concerned about the third-down conversions that I was with the style of offense because I assumed that we would get better and more aggressive relatively speaking throughout the year.

But the play Smith had after his concussion no concussion I see as health. But before the bye and after the Chargers game, wasn't really explainable. Even to those who cite his limitations, he was playing poorly for that standard. We made the adjustment to the defense of adjustment to his writing. We also faced worst defenses. At least we are doing it against worse defenses. That hasn't always been true. And personally, I'm not confident it will remain that way, but just hoping.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need more of this: http://d2s3dt9f4iyeup.cloudfront.net/images/resized_v1/7f1be01f-d0ea-498c-a224-8ecc67077d0b.jpg

I understand that it was a one read directed play, but Smith doesn't do this very often with anybody else. He did it with Hill earlier in the season as well and has done similar things with Kelce and Vernon Davis. Last year there were a few with Maclin.

It seems like the last eight games of every season has been much more productive. Even in the first year where we started 9–0 and ended 11–5, those last eight games were bigger in numbers (though fewer wins).

Obviously, you do not plan on having a stagnant offense. But being aggressive or taking advantage of things you have set up throughout the year can pay off in the second half. I blame Smith and read or not executing the game plan well enough to beat Houston and Tampa Bay, but those should have worked if not for a play here and there. I was more concerned about the third-down conversions that I was with the style of offense because I assumed that we would get better and more aggressive relatively speaking throughout the year.

But the play Smith had after his concussion no concussion I see as health. But before the bye and after the Chargers game, wasn't really explainable. Even to those who cite his limitations, he was playing poorly for that standard. We made the adjustment to the defense of adjustment to his writing. We also faced worst defenses. At least we are doing it against worse defenses. That hasn't always been true. And personally, I'm not confident it will remain that way, but just hoping.

You think he was productive the last 8 games last year?

You think he was productive the last 8 games last year?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2016/1/6/10707090/kansas-city-chiefs-real-super-bowl-contenders-alex-smith-2-0

So maybe productive wasn't the right word. He was efficient or better in some ways. I guess I was remembering rating and wins or something. Higher production late 2013 season, though.

All this analysis about Alex Smith and yet it's the running game that, to me, is the real issue. Where did it go? Ware looked solid early in the season and now we can't scrape 100 yards together on the ground?

Somehow we need to get some semblance of a run game back. But then again, maybe the reason Smith has looked better is he is forced to shoulder more of the load. If we had a better ground attack maybe we would rely on that too much. I do not know what Alex had for breakfast prior to the Oakland game but keep having it.With our defense and special teams... If we can get that kind of production the next 3 games I would like our chances better going into the post season.

...and yes I think a lot of it has to do with Alex feeling more confident and moving past the head shot Indy game.

All this analysis about Alex Smith and yet it's the running game that, to me, is the real issue. Where did it go? Ware looked solid early in the season and now we can't scrape 100 yards together on the ground?

Somehow we need to get some semblance of a run game back. But then again, maybe the reason Smith has looked better is he is forced to shoulder more of the load. If we had a better ground attack maybe we would rely on that too much. I do not know what Alex had for breakfast prior to the Oakland game but keep having it.With our defense and special teams... If we can get that kind of production the next 3 games I would like our chances better going into the post season.

...and yes I think a lot of it has to do with Alex feeling more confident and moving past the head shot Indy game.

We need Jamaal. Ware is not capable of large gains. His running style is ground & pound where Jamaal is a home run hitter.

West & Ware just don't have the speed, agility, and vision of Jamaal

I think our interior is rather weak. Fulton is not very good, LDT is ver average, and Morse is still developing. Our best running games are when we had Ehringer at LG. When he went out I was hoping to see Jah Reid or even Weitzman. Fulton just isn't a very physical player. He is a good backup center. And that's about it.

The Chiefs are in a quandary about whom to bring back off their IR. I believe they wanted Charles to return to give them an extra boost in the playoffs. If this is to be Jamaal's final year, then it would be nice to see him surpass Holmes in yardage, and to end up on a winning team. He may return next year, but right now it does not seem so.

The injury to DJ hurt the Chiefs. Alexander may be able to fill that role, but he already plays a valuable part on special teams. March could return. He broke a bone in his hand. I was surprised the staff placed him on IR in the first place. In my opinion, unless there was more to the story, it was a mistake. The team was already thin at ILB, and March-Lillard should be recovered by now. Retaining an injured player on the roster might have been a risk, but Johnson was lost for the year, and M-L could have been plugged right in. The Chiefs didn't place White on the IR. He had a similar injury, and played with a cast.

Now, the Chiefs are in a corner, and may have to decide between returning Charles or filling that roster spot with an ILB. Charles' knee is still not healed. There is no guarantee he will be able to return anyway.

Hopefully, Maclin can get healthier, because this will help to open up their offense. The biggest threat to the offense now is at LG. Quite simply, they miss their rookie there, and Fulton isn't very good. I presume the Chiefs will draft a LG again next spring. Fulton just doesn't have the athletic ability to make the blocks the Chiefs need him to do. I am surprised Jah Reid is not playing. He must have really dropped off.

The Chiefs are in a quandary about whom to bring back off their IR. I believe they wanted Charles to return to give them an extra boost in the playoffs. If this is to be Jamaal's final year, then it would be nice to see him surpass Holmes in yardage, and to end up on a winning team. He may return next year, but right now it does not seem so.

The injury to DJ hurt the Chiefs. Alexander may be able to fill that role, but he already plays a valuable part on special teams. March could return. He broke a bone in his hand. I was surprised the staff placed him on IR in the first place. In my opinion, unless there was more to the story, it was a mistake. The team was already thin at ILB, and March-Lillard should be recovered by now. Retaining an injured player on the roster might have been a risk, but Johnson was lost for the year, and M-L could have been plugged right in. The Chiefs didn't place White on the IR. He had a similar injury, and played with a cast.

Now, the Chiefs are in a corner, and may have to decide between returning Charles or filling that roster spot with an ILB. Charles' knee is still not healed. There is no guarantee he will be able to return anyway.

Hopefully, Maclin can get healthier, because this will help to open up their offense. The biggest threat to the offense now is at LG. Quite simply, they miss their rookie there, and Fulton isn't very good. I presume the Chiefs will draft a LG again next spring. Fulton just doesn't have the athletic ability to make the blocks the Chiefs need him to do. I am surprised Jah Reid is not playing. He must have really dropped off.

I think the Chiefs' play during the next two weeks will determine who comes back between Charles and March. If the Chiefs struggle in defending against the run, they'll probably activate March. There's fifty-something guys on this team that want a Super Bowl more than they care about whether Charles is active on the roster. Charles gave the prime of his career to some terrible Chiefs teams, but there's just no justification to bring a good team down for Charles' sake.

I think the Chiefs' play during the next two weeks will determine who comes back between Charles and March. If the Chiefs struggle in defending against the run, they'll probably activate March. There's fifty-something guys on this team that want a Super Bowl more than they care about whether Charles is active on the roster. Charles gave the prime of his career to some terrible Chiefs teams, but there's just no justification to bring a good team down for Charles' sake.

This isn't for Jamaal's sake. The Chiefs legit need him. He flashed some great potential the time he was on the field this year. Ware and West can only do so much but neither are as big as a threat as Jamaal can be, especially in the red zone

Nice post E. I can see where you would not take a chance getting Jay Ried hurt playing G. If we have a IT go down, he is it. Replacing a G is one thing, but you have to have a swing T on the bench or things can go off the rails in a hurry.

As for March v. Charles, that is interesting. I too am surprised about the March IR. If both are healthy, it is hands down Charles. But if you put your money on Charles and the knee swells up again. Ouch.

You don't replace a guy like DJ anymore than you replace a guy like Houston. But I have seen Sutton pull a rabbit out of a hat enough to give him the benefit of the doubt. I activate Charles and cross my fingers he can give us 3 games in the playoffs.

64.7: Chiefs QB Alex Smith's completion percentage on downfield throws (15 yards or more) in the past four games. He's been 11-for-17 during that span. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Smith was 7-for-35 (20 percent) on those throws in the previous seven games. The Chiefs are 5.5-point favorites at home against the Tennessee Titans and can clinch a playoff berth with a win.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/224826/biggest-week-15-questions-stats-and-predictions

64.7: Chiefs QB Alex Smith's completion percentage on downfield throws (15 yards or more) in the past four games. He's been 11-for-17 during that span. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Smith was 7-for-35 (20 percent) on those throws in the previous seven games. The Chiefs are 5.5-point favorites at home against the Tennessee Titans and can clinch a playoff berth with a win.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/224826/biggest-week-15-questions-stats-and-predictions

I thought stats don't matter when we are talking about Alex? Well I like this stat!

• 2 weeks later...

Alex Smith's teams have beaten every team in the league with him as the starting QB except Kansas City and San Francisco. (Of course, he has lost games for the Chiefs and Niners.) I think we have the biggest winning margin against his teams when he was the opposing quarterback. Advanced loyalty.

Smith crossed off Indianapolis Colts, Carolina Panthers, and Atlanta Falcons off this year. Also added the first regular-season win over the New Orleans Saints. Since joining us, he has added the Baltimore Ravens, Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins (only played once), and Tennessee Titans. He likely won't play long enough to win in every stadium.

The reason why I looked this up is because he might be playing in the last game in San Diego's stadium tomorrow.

Alex Smith's teams have beaten every team in the league with him as the starting QB except Kansas City and San Francisco. (Of course, he has lost games for the Chiefs and Niners.) I think we have the biggest winning margin against his teams when he was the opposing quarterback. Advanced loyalty.

Smith crossed off Indianapolis Colts, Carolina Panthers, and Atlanta Falcons off this year. Also added the first regular-season win over the New Orleans Saints. Since joining us, he has added the Baltimore Ravens, Dallas Cowboys, Miami Dolphins (only played once), and Tennessee Titans. He likely won't play long enough to win in every stadium.

The reason why I looked this up is because he might be playing in the last game in San Diego's stadium tomorrow.

I guess he did officially start the Colts game ;)

I guess he did officially start the Colts game ;)

We would have won either way. We scored 10 points with him and would have scored at least two field goals the rest of the game. That is more about the Colts than the Chiefs, though.

People can say that we just don't know what would've happened, that we might've lost the Colts game with Smith, but that's the whole premise of this argument in this thread. We don't know what would happen. People saying that he can win with us anyway exact same thing. Maybe Foles in the second Denver game says screw this, I'm going to the receivers and we get more than the one pick against their secondary?

But also, maybe he connects on some of them? Or maybe he is handcuffed just the same as Smith was in the second half of the Oakland game? These are all hypotheticals in which I think we all agree that Foles has the higher ceiling and the lower floor because he can be just as Smith's bad days and maybe make more mistakes. I think we can win with Smith's ceiling and he has had the most reps. The coaches should draft somebody and go thtough the off-season intelligently.

Archived