Good news for Chiefs as Jeremy Maclin, Dee Ford back to work

Good news Wednesday as the Kansas City Chiefs will see a few key players back at practice. Dee Ford, Jeremy Maclin and Steven Nelson, all of whom missed last week’s game, will practice for the Chiefs on Wednesday as Falcons week begins.

Dee Ford, Steve Nelson and Jeremy Maclin WILL practice for the #Chiefs. Coach Reid wants to see how they do coming off injuries.

The offense has struggled for a lot of reasons but Maclin’s absence has been a big one. I’m really hoping he’s back this week against a Falcons offense that can score. The Chiefs will need to put points on the board this week and Maclin can help ... if he plays.

Meanwhile, we are one week closer to seeing a healthy Justin Houston and Dee Ford. I want to see these two work together for the rest of the season. Right when Houston was coming back two weeks ago, Ford was hurt. This will be fun to watch if they’re both in there this weekend.

In other not so good news...

Jaye Howard and Dontari Poe won't practice today for the #Chiefs.

Not ideal but the Chiefs’ Chris Jones and Rakeem Nunez-Roches have been doing a great job as backups if these two can’t go.

The Chiefs may be getting back to full strength. Maclin's return should be a boost to the offense. Nelson is integral to the secondary. Having him back will enable Parker to play his normal position. Parker is better at deep coverage. Dee Ford will help provide pressure on Matt Ryan. Getting to Ryan will be important, as Julio Jones is a match up nightmare

Why is everyone so sure that Maclin, Ford, and Nelson will play Sunday.  Houston practiced on a limited basis several weeks before returning effectively.  The ATL game has a lot less to do with playoff position than the OAK game after a short week.  I don't believe in saving players for the tougher games, but don't be surprised if Reid and staff play this week on the safe side regarding injuries.

Maclin may have not been completely honest with the Chiefs about his injury. I understand his production was hindered by his injury, and this may have been because he didn't want to be taken out of the  line up. Maclin had a groin injury, and tried to play through it. Coming back to soon is a mistake.

A groin injury is actually a a stretch, tear, or complete rupture of the muscle that extends from the pubic bone to the inside of the thigh. It is the main muscle that allows you to move the leg from an outside to an inside position from the hip (initiating a crossover step in basketball or soccer, for example). A pulled or strained groin is painful and takes time to heal. You might not even notice the injury during normal daily activities, but it will get your full attention if you move with a sudden start. Returning to training or competition too soon is a common mistake. http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/injury-pain/groin-strain.html

Groin injuries are common for the weekend warrior, who wants to relive his youth without fully, and properly warming up. Athletes, who have quick twitch muscles are more prone to this injury. Personally, I was never one to warm up properly, and I have had this problem multiple times.

Ford had or has a hamstring injury. Depending upon the severity, one can recover in three days to as much as six months or more. Most hamstring injuries, up to a grade 3, can heal without surgery.

Again, this injury can be prevented by stretching, and conditioning. Rest is necessary to cure. The use of RICE, Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation is helpful.

Returning too soon is also a bad thing, as it can prolong the recovery. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hamstring-injury/basics/definition/con-20035144

Nelson has a neck injury. Likely a strain, this injury can be recovered from soon with rest, anti-inflammatory meds such as Motrin. Recovery depends upon the damage to muscles and tissue, but could be a little as a few days or as much as months.

Archived