Starting Corner

Second Corner  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be our starting CB opposite Peters?

• Kenneth Acker
    • Dj White
    • Phillip Gaines
    • Terrance Mitchell
    • Other

I don't know if this was an aberration or if Mitchell is for real. Outside of the Mitchell situation, Nelson is the second best corner on the team. I would start him, then slide him to the slot on 3WR sets. We are seeing a lot of studs lining up in the slot.

Raiders forced into shotgun made it easier on KC defense. Less Play Options and harder to run the ball for OAK. Not an excuse KC suffered lots more injuries than Raiders. It does bring into question how good the defense was?  Hard to say on corner play.

Dont know if Gaines was healthy or not. 

Raiders forced into shotgun made it easier on KC defense. Less Play Options and harder to run the ball for OAK. Not an excuse KC suffered lots more injuries than Raiders. It does bring into question how good the defense was? Hard to say on corner play.

Dont know if Gaines was healthy or not.

Gaines was extremely overrated by the majority here. Touted better than peters by many here.

He will not be starting in the near future.

Mitchell has taken that job.

Before anyone crowns Mitchell as King, let me throw out a name. Marcus Cooper. I remember when he was being touted as this great find.

Consistency is what makes an average player a good player.

I'm telling you, we need to keep rotating newbies so that teams will test them and we just need to evaluate and develop them well so that we can exploit. ;)

Too early to crown Mitchell as the permanent starter, but his play last night was outstanding.  I believe he had three completions given up for a total of 14 yards.  Not sure how many times he was targeted, but it was a lot.  Maybe he's one of those guys who just fell through the cracks before he got his feet on the ground in the NFL.  Another who took three years to get it.

Too early to crown Mitchell as the permanent starter, but his play last night was outstanding. I believe he had three completions given up for a total of 14 yards. Not sure how many times he was targeted, but it was a lot. Maybe he's one of those guys who just fell through the cracks before he got his feet on the ground in the NFL. Another who took three years to get it.

He covered the "great" amari Cooper most of the night!

Gaines looked a little rusty, but showed signs of being a good Sean Smith replacement early. Than, something happened....

Just sucks, still not healthy, both? I'm not sure. Either way, the answer will be for the Chiefs to be shopping for a CB in the Spring.

More than health. That guy is just getting beat. Guessing too much imo.

He covered the "great" amari Cooper most of the night!

Cooper had a bad night, as did Carr.  How much of that is due to the play of Mitchell is hard to know.  What the Chiefs did learn is that Mitchell can play and certainly is in the mix even if Gaines gets healthy.  Just like Hill has cut the need to draft WR early, Mitchell could fill a CB spot and if the Chiefs think White has potential, their need there is much lower.  I'm anxious to see Mitchell the rest of the way this season.

Cooper had a bad night, as did Carr. How much of that is due to the play of Mitchell is hard to know. What the Chiefs did learn is that Mitchell can play and certainly is in the mix even if Gaines gets healthy. Just like Hill has cut the need to draft WR early, Mitchell could fill a CB spot and if the Chiefs think White has potential, their need there is much lower. I'm anxious to see Mitchell the rest of the way this season.

Gaines was out there. He started on special teams. That's a good place for him.

Before anyone crowns Mitchell as King, let me throw out a name. Marcus Cooper. I remember when he was being touted as this great find.

Consistency is what makes an average player a good player.

If he is Marcus Cooper, I am happy. Cooper toke the #1 CB spot and played well. Very well the first half of the season and only so-so the second half.

Marcus Cooper was all world, until he wasn't, and then it was a fast track to the bench. So, Terrance Mitchell may be the newest thing since sliced bread, but if he gets picked apart, he will be MC2 hammered.

Mitchell was banished from the Cowpokes, da Bears, and the  Cowpokes again, before hitting it off with the Chiefs. Why? Well, it is complicated. First, as a rookie, he hailed from Oregon U., Mitchell went from a sure 3rd round pick to a 7th rounder because of his performance at the combine. In three years at Oregon, Mitchell had 144 tackles, 3 of which were for a loss. He only had 4 interceptions, but they were returned for an average of 18 yards apiece. He had 1 fumble recovery out of 4 that he forced, and had 25 passes defended. Before the probing, measurements, and general inspections, Mitchell was regarded to be a top 12 to 20 db, presumed to be taken as high as the 3rd round. He was judged to be about as good as Gaines. Then he ran a 4.63 40, measured 30 1/8 inch long arms, and tiny 8 1/2 inch (Donald Trumpish) hands. Despite recording superlative times in the short shuttle, long shuttle, and 3 cone events, he was a goner.

So, Mitchell bumped around the league. He actually played well at Dallas, but was caught up in a numbers game (Dallas is deeeep). Mitchell caught the eye of John Dorsey, and he languished on the team as an unknown. Gaines was not fully recovered from his knee injury, or he is spooked by the recovery.  Either way, Gaines does not resemble the player he seemed to be before the freakish series of injuries. Mitchell got the call, and he has performed well.

Mitchell seems to be a quick defensive back, who is in the right place at the right time (or wrong time for the receiver). He is particularly good at bumping receivers off their step within the first five yards. He has good recovery speed. The only thing to worry about is his long speed. He is quick, but not fast (for NFL standards). Therein lies the beneficial niche for the Chiefs. Whereas Cooper was fast, and tall for a DB, he was not quick. The Chiefs play with a ball hawking CB (Peters), a very strong, quick, and technically sound slot DB (Steven Nelson), a rangy, fast, tall, and versatile FS (Parker), an athletic, strong, and fast SS (Berry), and they need a quick cover CB to play opposite Peters, who will ultimately frustrate the opposing team into testing Peters. He does not have to have blistering speed, as Parker, and Berry can cover a huge amount of real estate. He just needs to be quick, and play sound football. Mitchell appears to be just the man for the job.

We might have another Cooper, but I think not. From what I have seen, Terrance Mitchell fits the bill, and congratulations need to be bestowed upon John Dorsey, and crew.

Archived