Phillip Gaines - Sanders Commings 2.0

I'm sure he's a great guy, but he needs to go.  Absolute waste of a roster spot and cap.  The guy has been with us almost three years, has barely been on the field, and when he has, is either getting burnt or limping off the field.  This is the only guy I know that can be off the injury report on Friday, and not play on Sunday due to an injury.  The man only played one offensive snap in the Game against the Raiders last Thursday and is still not practicing a week later.  And its not just a nagging injury.  I've seen neck, back, head, shoulder, knee, foot, and ankle this year alone and I'm sure I'm missing some things.  I was all for giving this guy a chance, hoping he'd develop, but its clear that he can't stay on the field long enough.  Its a shame that in what is most likely the weakest position on the roster, this guy is seen by the organization as the best choice...

I actually think that gaines looks real good when he is playing in the slot. Keeping him as the Nickel or Dime corner I think is a good idea. But I do agree with limiting his snaps to keep him healthy. Having Gaines and Nelson as your nickel and dime corners would be nice. 

I hope that Mitchell takes the corner spot opposite Peters. If not I still like what I saw with Acker. And Dj White does have some ability as well. Lets hope one of those 3 really step up and take that spot. having 4 solid corners would be great. 

I'm sure he's a great guy, but he needs to go.  Absolute waste of a roster spot and cap.  The guy has been with us almost three years, has barely been on the field, and when he has, is either getting burnt or limping off the field.  This is the only guy I know that can be off the injury report on Friday, and not play on Sunday due to an injury.  The man only played one offensive snap in the Game against the Raiders last Thursday and is still not practicing a week later.  And its not just a nagging injury.  I've seen neck, back, head, shoulder, knee, foot, and ankle this year alone and I'm sure I'm missing some things.  I was all for giving this guy a chance, hoping he'd develop, but its clear that he can't stay on the field long enough.  Its a shame that in what is most likely the weakest position on the roster, this guy is seen by the organization as the best choice...

I don't know much about history...was Gaines injury prone in college?  I'm not gonna put this one on Dorsey if he was healthy there...

When he's been out there hasn't looked good. DJ White looked terrible. Ackerman can't even get time over these guys. The position is really weak.

When he's been out there hasn't looked good. DJ White looked terrible. Ackerman can't even get time over these guys. The position is really weak.

I thought Acker did a decent job. We need to draft another CB in the 2nd or 3rd round. We'll see if Mitchell can continue his tear. He has very quick hips and nice footwork. I re watched the game last night.

The only thing Gaines can cover is his ailing joints with ice packs. Hopefully Mitchell is for real and Nelson keeps improving. We praise Dorsey a lot in his acquisition of talent but he has whiffed on CB2 so far.

How? We just lost smith

Give him a minute

I really like Gaines but I am tired of him being hurt. He sort of had a bad day against Denver but, people forget the two he knocked down in the end zone and the diving pass defense on 3rd Down in OT in that game. The first TD in that game he simply got beat. The second TD was Acker's fault because he blew the coverage. Then, Gaines lost it in the lights.

It sounds like a broken record, but again we need to give player at least three years before writing them off.  Only the staff knows if Gaines is permanently fragile or whether he's just a victim of bad luck to far.  If the guy has ability, then give him another year unless his replacement is picked up via FA or the draft.

Archived