Tyreek Hill

Yet he got only 1 game touch and only one target in the second half? Andy Reid is a twit.

Agreed. I was afradi with the return of Maclin that Smith would eye ball him too much and forget about everyone else. Smith, can only work with two good targets. No such thing as spreading the ball around. Hill and Wilson were non existant in the 2nd...Maclin too.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a ridiculously stupid statement. Reid is doing what he has to do to game plan around Alex Smith's deficiencies. Not every game is a gem but the record speaks for itself.

That's fine, call me dumb.

The record has nothing to do with the offense or the play calling.

Happy holidays xen

I hope Tyreek Hill is sharing a huge chunk of his check with his ex-girlfriend, and her child. Tyreek is a risky player. He has great hands, but has also fumbled the ball a lot recently. So, his disappearance may have been a result of the win/loss calculus.

I guess disagreeing with Andy Reid is off bounds. Oh, well. I have thick skin. Andy Reid is smart, but his formula for winning can be assailed, and I applaud those who do so as long as they can back it up.

I hope Tyreek Hill is sharing a huge chunk of his check with his ex-girlfriend, and her child. Tyreek is a risky player. He has great hands, but has also fumbled the ball a lot recently. So, his disappearance may have been a result of the win/loss calculus.

I guess disagreeing with Andy Reid is off bounds. Oh, well. I have thick skin. Andy Reid is smart, but his formula for winning can be assailed, and I applaud those who do so as long as they can back it up.

He's a good coach. The record is great. The offense is not.

I think more can be extracted from this offense. There are significant flaws. Start with the offensive line. They bungled a number of plays that prevented Ware from being able to gain important yards. TE O'Shag blew an easy block. Harris is not always on. Kelce has improved his blocking, but still needs to improve. The other  thing is Alex Smith. Smith has good games, and he has bad ones. This last game was a bad one. He was not on target.

In March, the Chiefs should part ways with Foles. He does not fit. I think they should entertain Tyrod Taylor, if the Bills let him hit the street.

Is it his offense or the talent? He's always been a really good offensive coach. Is it because we are pretty much a 8 yard deep offense and every defense plays up. seems like 90% of passes are 8 yds or less. Who fears that? Teams will challenge us to go deep. We haven't. We can't. Defenses gamble we will not beat them over the top and their gamble is paying off. 

It's Smith's inability to scan the field. He rarely does it. If his first read isn't there, he'll usually panic. That pass to Maclin in the endzone was his first read, and the pass wasn't there. He still threw it, like a rookie, even after having spent over ten years in the league, it's odd.

Reid needs to trust his QB more, like on that 3rd and 3 when he dialed an option instead of throwing it. He clearly didn't trust Smith's confidence in securing the first down with his arm.

The Chiefs need a guy who can take over. We saw in Dallas how fast things can change. Romo was a fixture in Dallas. He got injured, and Dak took his place. Now, it is likely Romo will be traded away. Foles helped finish a game where Alex Smith was injured. He was not as effective the following game. My guess is Foles will not be granted a second season.

I think more can be extracted from this offense. There are significant flaws. Start with the offensive line. They bungled a number of plays that prevented Ware from being able to gain important yards. TE O'Shag blew an easy block. Harris is not always on. Kelce has improved his blocking, but still needs to improve. The other  thing is Alex Smith. Smith has good games, and he has bad ones. This last game was a bad one. He was not on target.

In March, the Chiefs should part ways with Foles. He does not fit. I think they should entertain Tyrod Taylor, if the Bills let him hit the street.

Andy Reid is a great coach, and Dorsey is a great general manager who has built great depth and lots of weapons.  The only problem is that we have a good QB who is careful.  That's good and bad.  The Super Bowl winners pretty much all have great quarterbacks, not just good ones. Quarterbacks who read everything quickly and make the offensive decisions play to play on the field and get the ball off very quickly.  Quarterbacks who can take the snap behind center and hand the ball off to runners at the line of scrimmage where the exchange cannot be seen by the DL until it is too late and they have squirted through.  A quarterback who is capable of backpedaling back to throw while still seeing the field and all the targets and defenders.  A quarterback who can throw back across his chest accurately while running away from pressure.  Right now we have only a good quarterback, lots of playmakers and weapons and a playcaller who is on the sidelines using a radio.  Right now we have a quarterback who has to take the snap from the shotgun in order to be able to see people and throw.  So his handoffs to runner start way back behind the LOS, where the opposing linemen can see and quickly close the gaps.  This is why not even Jamaal was running that effectively, even before he got hurt.

Teams have to kind of luck into a great QB.  Reid and Dorsey had no time. The fan base was abandoning the team.  They needed to win...and fast.  And they did.  But this is what we get folks.  We get a playoff competitive team that wins more than it loses, with many of its wins close games.  We are what you see and will remain so, until we have a GREAT QB.  Put Brady or Luck or even Carr at the helm of this team, and it would be the best in football.  I love AS and how he saved the franchise, but this is as good as it is going to get with him.

That is a ridiculously stupid statement. Reid is doing what he has to do to game plan around Alex Smith's deficiencies. Not every game is a gem but the record speaks for itself.

In the past five games, Smith has done pretty well going deep. Completing 64.5% of his attempts and getting a good yards per attempt and not as much yards after the catch but this doesn't make Reid call more of those plays. Instead, after getting those the plays, we get all conservative. Look at Oakland's first half and open second. Yes, Smith threw an interception and fumbled to start the second half in the Raiders game, but there was no reason besides defensive adjustments to not attack. Those turnovers weren't on deep passes. We started the Tennessee game with us to pass this math completed and then we just stopped. He didn't go cold on deep passes after that, we just didn't attempt anymore.

It's Smith's inability to scan the field. He rarely does it. If his first read isn't there, he'll usually panic. That pass to Maclin in the endzone was his first read, and the pass wasn't there. He still threw it, like a rookie, even after having spent over ten years in the league, it's odd.

Reid needs to trust his QB more, like on that 3rd and 3 when he dialed an option instead of throwing it. He clearly didn't trust Smith's confidence in securing the first down with his arm.

Andy Reid has trusted Smith more than a handful of games to get one more first down to secure a win. I give those wins to the defense, but he has done that. In overtime against Denver, we passed when we could have relied on a slightly deeper field goal attempt. We threw 18 yards on third and 17 versus the Raiders.

I mean, if you want 3 yards, Alex is the guy. Just don't make him run the ball when our run blockers aren't doing their job.

Nevermind the previous games. Smith threw a really bad interception in the endzone, which is inexcusable. Perhaps in that one play, Reid didn't trust Smith to secure the first with his arm. He played it conservative and acted like the season was on the line, running the ball to kill as much time as possible. Where was the killer instinct we haven't seen all season?!

Games like the one against the Titans are the games we need to not play so conservative and go out and see what this team is made of. Take chances. Don't be inconsistent. We're a playoff bound team, that's already set. We need to explore as much as possible to find our limits for the postseason. Playing as conservative & scared to lose the division, like they did, won't cut it in this league. Yes, the interception was ugly but it should have been the fuel to go for it all in the end, instead of running an option.

Having to gameplan around Alex's deficiencies is sort of a self-inflicted wound, as Alex was the QB he hand picked. Alex has done what he was brought in to do, but the need to look for the future is growing each season.

But alas, Andy is still winning even with a floor tier Offense.

In the past five games, Smith has done pretty well going deep. Completing 64.5% of his attempts and getting a good yards per attempt and not as much yards after the catch but this doesn't make Reid call more of those plays. Instead, after getting those the plays, we get all conservative. Look at Oakland's first half and open second. Yes, Smith threw an interception and fumbled to start the second half in the Raiders game, but there was no reason besides defensive adjustments to not attack. Those turnovers weren't on deep passes. We started the Tennessee game with us to pass this math completed and then we just stopped. He didn't go cold on deep passes after that, we just didn't attempt anymore.

Andy Reid has trusted Smith more than a handful of games to get one more first down to secure a win. I give those wins to the defense, but he has done that. In overtime against Denver, we passed when we could have relied on a slightly deeper field goal attempt. We threw 18 yards on third and 17 versus the Raiders.

I mean, if you want 3 yards, Alex is the guy. Just don't make him run the ball when our run blockers aren't doing their job.

Is it Reid or Smith? You can say it's Reid but you don't know that. If Alex does a short dump off does that mean the play was designed to go that way, or does the play have a checkdown and Alex took the easy option instead of the harder one?

The more I watch the Chiefs offense the more I think it's biggest problem is Smith. That said, Reid does a pretty good job of scheming around him and this style of play is getting good results so I can't complain too much.

I think a lot of the shorter passing plays are ran with the intended target already determined. Alex Smith could get away with this in the past because he could use his legs to turn a busted play into positive yardage.

Early last season and basically all this season, the running opportunities aren't there. Part of it I think Defenses have finally adjusted to that element and I think he's also slowing down.

McNabbs play tailspinned quickly when his running ability went away and I think that happened right around the same age Alex is now.

Is it Reid or Smith? You can say it's Reid but you don't know that. If Alex does a short dump off does that mean the play was designed to go that way, or does the play have a checkdown and Alex took the easy option instead of the harder one?

The more I watch the Chiefs offense the more I think it's biggest problem is Smith. That said, Reid does a pretty good job of scheming around him and this style of play is getting good results so I can't complain too much.

Why would Smith take risks of the deep passes in the first half and then not take any more deep shots if it weren't part of the coaching staff's play calls?

I'm not saying he was a bomber before, but in the early half of the past five games, we are taking shots down field and then stop in the last three. Or in the case of the Denver game, we became more open when the game was on the line. I would say this is either because the defenses are adjusting, or because we have a lead that we are trying to nurse and part of that is the coaching staff's game plan.

I am convinced that if we had been losing the Tennessee game instead of winning by one, we would've attacked that last drive differently. Now that can be said to be obvious, but we didn't do that last year or the year before. I was frustrated with our last drives against Arizona last year. In years past, I didn't seem like we had any urgency to do anything in a must win last drive. This year, we done it a few times (San Diego, Denver).

Andy Reid is a great coach, and Dorsey is a great general manager who has built great depth and lots of weapons.  The only problem is that we have a good QB who is careful.  That's good and bad.  The Super Bowl winners pretty much all have great quarterbacks, not just good ones. Quarterbacks who read everything quickly and make the offensive decisions play to play on the field and get the ball off very quickly.  Quarterbacks who can take the snap behind center and hand the ball off to runners at the line of scrimmage where the exchange cannot be seen by the DL until it is too late and they have squirted through.  A quarterback who is capable of backpedaling back to throw while still seeing the field and all the targets and defenders.  A quarterback who can throw back across his chest accurately while running away from pressure.  Right now we have only a good quarterback, lots of playmakers and weapons and a playcaller who is on the sidelines using a radio.  Right now we have a quarterback who has to take the snap from the shotgun in order to be able to see people and throw.  So his handoffs to runner start way back behind the LOS, where the opposing linemen can see and quickly close the gaps.  This is why not even Jamaal was running that effectively, even before he got hurt.

Teams have to kind of luck into a great QB.  Reid and Dorsey had no time. The fan base was abandoning the team.  They needed to win...and fast.  And they did.  But this is what we get folks.  We get a playoff competitive team that wins more than it loses, with many of its wins close games.  We are what you see and will remain so, until we have a GREAT QB.  Put Brady or Luck or even Carr at the helm of this team, and it would be the best in football.  I love AS and how he saved the franchise, but this is as good as it is going to get with him.

Alex Smith has games in which you are tempted to believe he can become great. Then, the next time, he stinks out the joint. I don't get it. I think he thinks too much instead of letting go. When things begin to work, he lets go a little more, and gets into a flow. However, when passes don't make their mark, or receivers miss up, he begins to think too much, and this affects his confidence.

I like players who have absolutely no conscience. Pure killers. They can go oh for 15, and keep slinging it. Eventually, it works. As much as I loath him for being a Bronco, John Elway was that type of player. He could stink it up, and still rally. He was a closer. He had the confidence to win. We need that. I don't think that's Alex Smith. However, Smith is just good enough to keep it going. Eventually, if the Chiefs continue to succeed, they will turn things around. I like our GM. He does a great job.

I think a lot of the shorter passing plays are ran with the intended target already determined. Alex Smith could get away with this in the past because he could use his legs to turn a busted play into positive yardage.

Early last season and basically all this season, the running opportunities aren't there. Part of it I think Defenses have finally adjusted to that element and I think he's also slowing down.

McNabbs play tailspinned quickly when his running ability went away and I think that happened right around the same age Alex is now.

Sometimes of the plays are absolutely intended to go to one guy. That is Reid seeming around Alex Smith, since he rarely scans the entire field. But I doubt it's a huge percentage of the called passes.

And you are spot on about McNabb. I don't know if that's what's happening with Alex but I hope not.

Alex Smith has games in which you are tempted to believe he can become great. Then, the next time, he stinks out the joint. I don't get it. I think he thinks too much instead of letting go. When things begin to work, he lets go a little more, and gets into a flow. However, when passes don't make their mark, or receivers miss up, he begins to think too much, and this affects his confidence.

I like players who have absolutely no conscience. Pure killers. They can go oh for 15, and keep slinging it. Eventually, it works. As much as I loath him for being a Bronco, John Elway was that type of player. He could stink it up, and still rally. He was a closer. He had the confidence to win. We need that. I don't think that's Alex Smith. However, Smith is just good enough to keep it going. Eventually, if the Chiefs continue to succeed, they will turn things around. I like our GM. He does a great job.

Word

Archived