Justin Houston

Excuses, excuses. If Justin Houston is sick to the point that he cannot have an affect on the other team what good is he? Why is he out there? 

And what about Dee Ford? MIA. Hali?...MIA.

We keep hearing the pundits hype the Chiefs collective 3 headed monster of Houston, Hali and Ford. I have yet to see it rear it's ugly head. But there are good reasons. Guys sick, still nursing bad knees, playing on the wrong side. So much talent with so little to show for it...but it looks good on paper so...

Excuses, excuses. If Justin Houston is sick to the point that he cannot have an affect on the other team what good is he? Why is he out there? 

And what about Dee Ford? MIA. Hali?...MIA.

We keep hearing the pundits hype the Chiefs collective 3 headed monster of Houston, Hali and Ford. I have yet to see it rear it's ugly head. But there are good reasons. Guys sick, still nursing bad knees, playing on the wrong side. So much talent with so little to show for it...but it looks good on paper so.

If Houston gets back to health, I would put him at ILB. He has the quickness/athletic ability to defend against a pass. He is better than any other at defending against the run. I don't think it matters where you put him. When he is healthy, Houston will produce. Keep Ford and Hali at OLB. Ford looked more natural at Houston's spot. So, it may be the best combo. At this stage of the season, you have to go with the most talented guys on the team.

In our losses this year the offense scored 12,14,17,17

24 NFL teams have won at least one game in which they allowed fewer than 12 points. The Chiefs got a pair of those: One in Oakland, and one against the Jets. Seven teams have done that three times. Those are the teams that have the real defenses, rather than the "defense" that the Chiefs have. The Chiefs' defense is far from the worst in the league, but also far from the best.

The Giants have 5 wins in games against teams that scored fewer than 14 points.

Pittsburgh has 7 wins in games against teams that scored fewer than 17 points. A lot of Chiefs fans wish they had Ben Roethlisberger under center instead of Alex Smith, but then why is it that in 2016 Ben Roethlisberger is 0-4 against teams that score 21 or more points? It doesn't look like he's winning many shootouts.

You lose if you get outscored. Offensive scoring is one piece of the problem. The defense has more than its share of issues. It's too bad that some people are entrenched in an argument that's debunked as soon as you look around the league.

If you hold a team to less than 21 points, the defense didn't lose the game.

The Chiefs' defense had way to much pressure, because their offense was so ineffective. I saw where someone blamed the loss on Parker for slipping, and allowing Delanie Walker to get extra yards on the catch that set up the final winning kick. Well, if you put enough pressure on the defense, someone is bound to slip up, especially on a cold field. Maybe, if Parker was in better position, he could have stopped the ball a yard shorter, and caused Tennessee to go for a hail mary pass. The reality is they should not have been in position to pull this off in the first place.

The Chiefs' defense had way to much pressure, because their offense was so ineffective. I saw where someone blamed the loss on Parker for slipping, and allowing Delanie Walker to get extra yards on the catch that set up the final winning kick. Well, if you put enough pressure on the defense, someone is bound to slip up, especially on a cold field. Maybe, if Parker was in better position, he could have stopped the ball a yard shorter, and caused Tennessee to go for a hail mary pass. The reality is they should not have been in position to pull this off in the first place.

Soft zone by Sutton. Never understood why. That last defensive stand should have been deawn up better.

24 NFL teams have won at least one game in which they allowed fewer than 12 points. The Chiefs got a pair of those: One in Oakland, and one against the Jets. Seven teams have done that three times. Those are the teams that have the real defenses, rather than the "defense" that the Chiefs have. The Chiefs' defense is far from the worst in the league, but also far from the best.

The Giants have 5 wins in games against teams that scored fewer than 14 points.

Pittsburgh has 7 wins in games against teams that scored fewer than 17 points. A lot of Chiefs fans wish they had Ben Roethlisberger under center instead of Alex Smith, but then why is it that in 2016 Ben Roethlisberger is 0-4 against teams that score 21 or more points? It doesn't look like he's winning many shootouts.

You lose if you get outscored. Offensive scoring is one piece of the problem. The defense has more than its share of issues. It's too bad that some people are entrenched in an argument that's debunked as soon as you look around the league.

PIT 43 KC 14

Rapelisberger 300 yds 5 TDs 0 INTS

Your Boy 287 yds 1 costly INT and 2 TDs in 4th quarter garbage time.

And he has 3 SB appearances with 2 Super Bowl wins.

Nice try.

Alex is a much better person though.

PIT 43 KC 14

Rapelisberger 300 yds 5 TDs 0 INTS

Your Boy 287 yds 1 costly INT and 2 TDs in 4th quarter garbage time.

And he has 3 SB appearances with 2 Super Bowl wins.

Nice try.

Alex is a much better person though.

No question about it. Smith's thrown some bad interceptions this year. Good thing is we're still 10-4. Andy's pass-happy ways don't help in the redzone. If he wants to sling it around all over the field then don't have Alex Smith as a QB. It's just stupid philosophy. Stick to the freaking running game - make it a habit.

No question about it. Smith's thrown some bad interceptions this year. Good thing is we're still 10-4. Andy's pass-happy ways don't help in the redzone. If he wants to sling it around all over the field then don't have Alex Smith as a QB. It's just stupid philosophy. Stick to the freaking running game - make it a habit.

We're not slinging it all over the field.

1. Our run game is not doing well despite what defenses would defend IF we were slinging all over the field.

2. Our deeper game recently is better than what else we're offering. We should be slinging it all over the field more than we are but we get too conservative in play calling once we get the lead. We're doing better when we stay aggressive (sling it all over the field).

3. Our short game is designed like runs so it accomplishes the same thing as running more (creeping the defense up), but we aren't taking advantage of it (intermediate passes) in second half's because we sit on leads. It's there and while Smith is no deep passer, we've been doing better in the last five games when he goes deep - even more accurate on the incompletions. But can we call more? Of course not because we don't.

Smith adds to this with his vision issues when the line gives him time, but it's no question we call it conservatively 2-3 quarters of the game. We've won some this way when an INT would lose it. Avoid two INTs this year and we'd be 12-2. Throw more and we'd be 8-6 or worse

4. If slinging it all over the field means we pass more than we run, look at #3 above and consider that a run game should be more effective when the defense anticipates a pass, even a short one. Our run blocking is probably ok when we think it's bad, but it's not good, especially in power runs. (Last game's recency affects my perspective here given its sample size and importance.)

I think the problem is running out of the shotgun and our pass game isn't so much better in the shotgun to make up for it. Our RBs are worse doing it and our oline is pressed harder to do it. We should be having times blocks for the extra time of a shotgun but we're not being helped there and power runs seem to be taking that long to develop when there would be no hole in time.

Also, red zone efficiency is huge and we've been bad there. More efficiency there and our slinging/run-pass ratio would be fine. Two more FGs instead of INTs or one more FG instead of 4th down attempt and we'd be 12-2. 13-1 if we had one more red zone conversion outside of that.

Third down is being hurt by penalties. That forces us to sling it all over the field. When we consistently throw 1-4 yards on 3rd and 14, Smith is a problem but it seems Reid is calling plays with these short options and there's some sort of instruction to play smart. Again, Smith is part of the problem with his tendencies but force him to throw farther on these downs by running the players farther - we'd get more throwaways but if we hit, it helps us (of course INT risk is higher.

This would suggest that running more in these stupid situations would be just as bad. But if we run less predictably, we could avoid long third downs without really running it more often (as our pass game is like a run but more yards per attempt).

We're not slinging it all over the field.

1. Our run game is not doing well despite what defenses would defend IF we were slinging all over the field.

2. Our deeper game recently is better than what else we're offering. We should be slinging it all over the field more than we are but we get too conservative in play calling once we get the lead. We're doing better when we stay aggressive (sling it all over the field).

3. Our short game is designed like runs so it accomplishes the same thing as running more (creeping the defense up), but we aren't taking advantage of it (intermediate passes) in second half's because we sit on leads. It's there and while Smith is no deep passer, we've been doing better in the last five games when he goes deep - even more accurate on the incompletions. But can we call more? Of course not because we don't.

Smith adds to this with his vision issues when the line gives him time, but it's no question we call it conservatively 2-3 quarters of the game. We've won some this way when an INT would lose it. Avoid two INTs this year and we'd be 12-2. Throw more and we'd be 8-6 or worse

4. If slinging it all over the field means we pass more than we run, look at #3 above and consider that a run game should be more effective when the defense anticipates a pass, even a short one. Our run blocking is probably ok when we think it's bad, but it's not good, especially in power runs. (Last game's recency affects my perspective here given its sample size and importance.)

I think the problem is running out of the shotgun and our pass game isn't so much better in the shotgun to make up for it. Our RBs are worse doing it and our oline is pressed harder to do it. We should be having times blocks for the extra time of a shotgun but we're not being helped there and power runs seem to be taking that long to develop when there would be no hole in time.

Also, red zone efficiency is huge and we've been bad there. More efficiency there and our slinging/run-pass ratio would be fine. Two more FGs instead of INTs or one more FG instead of 4th down attempt and we'd be 12-2. 13-1 if we had one more red zone conversion outside of that.

Third down is being hurt by penalties. That forces us to sling it all over the field. When we consistently throw 1-4 yards on 3rd and 14, Smith is a problem but it seems Reid is calling plays with these short options and there's some sort of instruction to play smart. Again, Smith is part of the problem with his tendencies but force him to throw farther on these downs by running the players farther - we'd get more throwaways but if we hit, it helps us (of course INT risk is higher.

This would suggest that running more in these stupid situations would be just as bad. But if we run less predictably, we could avoid long third downs without really running it more often (as our pass game is like a run but more yards per attempt).

ESPN has a split stats page that can show some pretty interesting stuff. We actually run pretty well out of the gun. 132 attempts for 4.8 ypa. Lone setback which I'm guessing is Alex under center is 236 attempts for a 4.0 ypa.

We suck once inside the rezone though. I'm not sure why don't use Sherman more though. He is really good at what he does.

For some reason we run better when we are on the road than than at home.

I do agree with Dman in one aspect. Their needs to be more of a committmet to running it. We were solid last year doing it. The linemen just didn't forget how to run block.

ESPN has a split stats page that can show some pretty interesting stuff. We actually run pretty well out of the gun. 132 attempts for 4.8 ypa. Lone setback which I'm guessing is Alex under center is 236 attempts for a 4.0 ypa.

We suck once inside the rezone though. I'm not sure why don't use Sherman more though. He is really good at what he does.

For some reason we run better when we are on the road than than at home.

I do agree with Dman in one aspect. Their needs to be more of a committmet to running it. We were solid last year doing it. The linemen just didn't forget how to run block.

Whatever version of the WCO we are running is trash. Andy needs to put his players in a posistion to succeed.

He does not know how to get the ball to the play makers.

Soft zone by Sutton. Never understood why. That last defensive stand should have been deawn up better.

The reason is because on the drive before that they were burned playing man because the MLBs couldn't cover the running backs. Wilson was torched by Murray for the TD.

Ramik Wilson was cut from this team. No one wanted him. He signed back when the Chiefs were in desperate need. My impressions of him have not changed. I hope they upgrade that position. Put a few pounds on Sorensen, and he might be a better ILB.

Ramik Wilson was cut from this team. No one wanted him. He signed back when the Chiefs were in desperate need. My impressions of him have not changed. I hope they upgrade that position. Put a few pounds on Sorensen, and he might be a better ILB.

Sorenson needs to stay at safety. We probably just need to address this in the draft.

Archived