Andy Reid and Playcalling

Man Reid is the 10th winningest coach in nfl history.... how bout you couch potatoes lay off on the play calling thing.. and realize that we have a damn good football team.. Quit acting like Croyle is our quarterback, and we have walk ons playing on the o-line, and no nose gaurd, 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man Reid is the 10th winningest coach in nfl history.... how bout you couch potatoes lay off on the play calling thing.. and realize that we have a damn good football team.. Quit acting like Croyle is our quarterback, and we have walk ons playing on the o-line, and no nose gaurd,

Probably because until you get that super bowl, it doesn't mean much...you see Marty as #7 all time...yet he left three teams because he couldn't get it done in the playoffs. But hey...if you think your 15 pieces of flare is good enough...

Hmm... There was a report last year that Pedersen called the plays in the second half of games but not the first. It is a collaborative game plan, but Reid called the plays in the first half. Part of me felt that we sat on leads last year, so it could have been an improvement to go to Reid all game, but it has not proven to be the case. In these last three games, though it's a small sample size, we have not scored offensively in the second half. So it wasn't Pedersen good or bad. If we look at our four losses, only the Steelers game do I think we scored late (?) and that was a bad game. In some of our wins, we did not score late.

I thought there was another report saying that Reid only said that to help get Pedersen out of KC due to some internal drama...

Play calling was much better. At least half the plays had Alex lining up under center. There were also HB screens, bootlegs, and it was good to see Alex running the ball. The only thing we need is a few more crossing routes to Maclin and this offense will be clicking on all cylinders.

That's right.  All the talk about the offense being different this year, especially in the second half, fails to take into account the times Smith didn't keep it himself for first downs compared to last year.  It worked last night so maybe he'll do it more in certain situations.  It didn't work on the last offensive play in the Titans game which could have sealed a win.  Haven't the Chiefs come from behind more this season in spite of second half play calling?  If the Chiefs were leading and gave the opponents extra time because the Chiefs got pass happy, people would go crazy.  When the Chiefs lead and fail to move the ball on the ground, people go crazy.  Any loss brings out the crazies, but I'm not complaining about a 12-4 season with road wins at Carolina, Atlanta, and Denver.  Enjoy those and it makes the last two home losses a little less painful.

That's right. All the talk about the offense being different this year, especially in the second half, fails to take into account the times Smith didn't keep it himself for first downs compared to last year. It worked last night so maybe he'll do it more in certain situations. It didn't work on the last offensive play in the Titans game which could have sealed a win. Haven't the Chiefs come from behind more this season in spite of second half play calling? If the Chiefs were leading and gave the opponents extra time because the Chiefs got pass happy, people would go crazy. When the Chiefs lead and fail to move the ball on the ground, people go crazy. Any loss brings out the crazies, but I'm not complaining about a 12-4 season with road wins at Carolina, Atlanta, and Denver. Enjoy those and it makes the last two home losses a little less painful.

As much as I wished converted that third down to seal the game, I would have been just as happy to win on Succup's first kick missing and just as upset with the offense for letting up and not being that high to begin with.

A funny thing about play calling. You throw a simple pass at the line of scrimmage to Kelce. If one person misses a block that play is blown up. Suddenly everybody yells Andy is a terrible play caller. But when everybody EXECUTES it's an 80 yd TD. I think Andy knows how to call plays. With the QB we have, Andy relies on many to execute for the success of a play. Smith is not able to hit Hill on an 80 yd bomb. But if we throw a pass on or behind the LOS and it ends up being an 80 yd TD I'm fine with that. He is calling plays based on the talent we have on offense. Look how well those plays work when executed properly.

Well yeah, that's how it goes.

Sometimes the Defenders will be better than your blockers and as a coach you have to recognize that and adjust accordingly. Not every time is a blown assignment or bad coaching of technique. Sometimes the other player is just simply better.

With a more limited playbook, sometimes you just gotta call it anyhow and hope for the best result. It's not always a measuring stick for how Andy is calling plays off his Dennys menu.

Just wondering if the quality of Andy's play is dependent on people making their blocks. It seems when it works out well, the players made it happen. When it works out poorly, Andy caused it.

Seems a little disingenuous at times.

Fans always want to blame someone when shit goes wrong. They rarely admit the guys on the other side of the ball are professionals with pride and hired to do their job also.

Not true. If the defense executes properly and the offense executes properly then it's usually no gain and would make for a boring game.

That makes no sense. If the offense executes a perfect block that means the defender has been blocked and therefore the defender did not execute by getting off the block. Winners and losers on every play. Never a win-win.

If a pulling guard pancakes an OLB and the WR seals the DB, the TE goes second level to take out the safety and the RB runs untouched for a TD, sorry 63, but that's perfect as far a player execution goes.

And we see that how many times in a season? Besides what happened to the down lineman? He goes through the vacated spor where the pulling guard was and tackles the RB for a loss.

My issue with the playcalling is predictability, plain and simple. Yes, Reid has thrown a few wrinkles in there this year, and guess what? They worked! Im guessing most people on here will watch a game and correctly guess what play Reid will call 8 times out of 10. If we can figure it out, so can the other team. It's hard to execute plays when the defense already knows where to be....

My issue with the playcalling is predictability, plain and simple. Yes, Reid has thrown a few wrinkles in there this year, and guess what? They worked! Im guessing most people on here will watch a game and correctly guess what play Reid will call 8 times out of 10. If we can figure it out, so can the other team. It's hard to execute plays when the defense already knows where to be....

We throw more of those bubble screens than just about anybody yet Andy called another last night. The defense is very aware of that play. I don't think Kelce was even touched. Execute the play call and it's amazing how it works. 

Those quick passes to the outside WR are getting old, it worked with Kelce, but normally they are all over the WR right after he catches the ball.

Smith is no mad bomber, but in the previous 6 games, we passed down field more than we had in the previous eight plus many games last year. Since the bye, when you include Foles, we did more as well.

So when we vary the play, it makes it easier to execute because of the defenses defending more. Now, I know the 80 yarder was not because of a deep pass and no one thinks that Smith is a gunslinger, but you just need the defense to back up a little bit. And then it's about predictability and execution of blocks.

Archived