Andy Reid and Playcalling

I don't care how they score. Just put up the points. Move the ball, and keep the yard markers moving. Part of that is on play calling, and part of that is on execution. What bothers me is scoring lots of points in one stretch, but not being able to do much otherwise.

The Chiefs started fast again. The 49ers used to do under Walsh, and Seifert. They planned out a list of plays, and went right down the list. They also saw what worked. They used this information to formulate a victory.

The Chiefs had some great plays called. I was looking for that jet sweep going to Tyreek. They finally did it. However, their answer to pushing the calls was to do it again, and again. It worked the first time. Not after that, as the Broncos were ready. Still, the Chiefs scored 21 points in the first quarter, and it wasn't until much later that that score changed. I was happy for the offensive production. At one point, the Chiefs were on a pace to put 1000 yards on the Broncos. Of course, that was not about to hold up. However, the Broncos stayed in the game much longer than one would expect.

One killer for the Chiefs was an interception in the first quarter that resulted in a touchdown for Denver. The play called was excellent. The Center, Morse, screwed up, and took a poor angle before turning the defender off to Fulton, who was too slow, and unathletic to adapt. If Alex Smith had a fraction of a second more, he had a touch down pass to a wide open Jeremy Maclin. He didn't, and it was short. Intercepted, and returned almost to the other  end zone. If Morse would have gotten a piece, or if Fulton would have reacted a bit sooner, there would have been 7 points the other way. If.. the execution was better. It wasn't. It took one player to screw it up.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived